Character face design

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Character face design

Andy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've linked to this before, but it's still great.

www.beautyanalysis.com/index2_mba.htm

www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/phil_Fak_II/Psychologie/Psy_II/beautycheck/english/index.htm

Andy

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's a pretty good analysis, although I think there are more factors. Example given: The total symmetry of the face isn't the ultimate beautyness, it is too sterile. I think it's the little asymmetric things in a highly symmetric face that gives people their characteristics.

sample: marylin monroe. The asymetric brows signal some kind of sceptism, arrogance maybe.

Of course I know they are not real, only painted :) but I'm talking about the skull shape.

Well btw now I just realize I am looking kind of like the guy labeled as " The prototypic male face of low attractiveness ("unsexy face")" on this page:

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/phil_Fak_II/Psychologie/Psy_II/beautycheck/english/prototypen/prototypen.htm

outch! +_+

Andy(Posted 2006) [#3]
I just thought it might be of interest to people who might be trying to model humans.

Lot's of the faces I've seen, have been 'unfinished', and the more knowledge we have, the more finished we can make them.

I realize the first Lara Croft models were just 3 triangles with 2 placed at chest height. However, that just won't cut it today.

>It's a pretty good analysis, although I think there are
>more factors.

Absolutely. I also tend to like slightly asymetrical faces as well. A beautiful smile can make a woman much more attractive, regardless of the symetry of her face.

Andy

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#4]
and if she can cook... well, need i say more :)

in all seriousness though, thx for the link Andy, interesting read...

--Mike

Andy(Posted 2006) [#5]
You're welcome Mike...

Andy...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
>>I just thought it might be of interest to people who might be trying to model humans.<<

Of course, absolutely.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#7]
Very good Links. But If you have to point the right direction about modeling or drawing humans is the anatomy of the human body.

Andy(Posted 2009) [#8]
Sorry for reviving this post, but this is really good...

http://izismile.com/2009/02/27/ordinary_girlfrom_the_first_sight_7_pics.html

I would never have believed it isn't a real photograph.

elcoo(Posted 2009) [#9]
Scary.
Hard to believe this is drawn oO

Andy(Posted 2009) [#10]
Yes, I think it fools the eyes because of the small imperfections... The imperfections in the skin on the forehead, the imperfection on the noseridge etc.

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#11]
I don't know if this wikipedia page was available in the past when Halo aka Josh of Leadwerks engine fame introduced it but here's the uncanny valley, makes interesting reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley#Theoretical_basis

beanage(Posted 2009) [#12]
Mmmmh.. Shambler, you are right. Watching the picture, there appears something to be wrong, at least it doesnt look 110% real.. strange.

I had the same feeling watching the nVidia head demo .. lol --
Uncanny valley, of course.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#13]
The funny thing about that image of a woman is that they had to Photoshop it before publishing it. :P