Dragon... Grrr!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Dragon... Grrr!

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#1]
Having spent the afternoon designing and modelling a dragon...

I ended up with this...

Still got to uv map, texture and animate... Still needs some tweaks.

The feet need improving.

The legs have got some weird seams going on there, one of the problems of rotating a cylinder too much! Think I need to draw those from scratch and put some muscle detail on them.

Constructive crits welcome.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think he's pissed because his head is so big.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#3]
not really, he's not angry.. he's just trying to keep his head off the floor - its tough as you might imagine.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey, that's quite good man. Nice work!

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
Mmm, sort of warthog looking.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#6]
Neat. It looks like a cross between a European and Chinese dragon.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#7]
oh, I forgot to say that it looks good! Milkshape3D?

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#8]
Updated

JHocking/ Retro: Head shrunk, yes Milkshape

Ross/Puki: Cheers

Luke: I wanted to do a dragon that wasn't a big fly around thingy! So it's based on a lizard.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#9]
I certainly wouldn't like him to come out of the toilet at a crucial moment.

Try uv mapping him next, thats an essential skill too. Come a long way from spheres tbh :)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#10]
it's based on a lizard.

Well then the legs are great. You really got this iguana feel from the angle of the joint and how they attach to the body. Given that, I kinda feel like you should lose the complicated nose thingy. I would think you want something that looks less fancy and more brutal, like a Komodo dragon.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#11]
I might be in th minority here but I prefer the original larger head...

puki(Posted 2006) [#12]
Separated at birth?

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#13]
rather, separated at Disney. :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks cool, now texture it. ;)

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#15]
shmup-dev.compo?

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#16]
shmup-dev.compo?

http://www.shmup-dev.com/

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#17]
i'm with Luke Skywalker ont this one (sorry guy, i bet you hear enough of those jokes every day to keep ya happy)... the big head seemed more serpent like to me...

regardless though, whether he has a big head or a smal head, the model looks like the begginings of something really neat... i'm looking forward to see how this progresses...

--Mike

gameproducer(Posted 2006) [#18]
Heh, this dragon loooook nice! :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#19]
It's nearly 3am on a Friday night... My wife has been in bed 3 hours and I'm up texturing a dragon... There's something wrong with me... Time for bed!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#20]
well I know that one. You can't texture her and there's always wanking.

Anyway, it rocks. Ignore the tits above, they will tell u the head is too big or whatever, they don't DIG the chinese dragon vibe you're rolling with. That looks top.

You want a tip from a bloke who has a living at as artist? Add some startling colour to him now. It's all too easy to make it look bland with a hi res texture :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#21]
hey, that looks really good :)

Good Job :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#22]
The head is now moved with the mouse... I've got 4 bones taking the strain of the pitch and yaw rotations so even in extreme poses there isn't any nasty stretching.

Hitting the mouse buttons opens the jaw... this will of course allow for fire to come out!!

The legs are animated using the usual animated mesh stuff. The head and neck positions are then set after the updateworld.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#23]
theres something wrong with the tail.

great besides that

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#24]
Now with fire!

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#25]
Well, I thought I'd seen everything... However, I almost think that flame's gonna poke my eyes out any minute...

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#26]
Looking good, but I still think that the larger head looked better. Also, I'm not sure about the two-pronged tail.

Regardless of my personal tastes, it's a neat looking dragon!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#27]
wowwww! with fire and the two pronged tail gives it that freakish individuality......

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#28]
yeah... woOWWWWW!!! was the first thing i said too...

you did a real good job on with that guy...

--Mike

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#29]
post a demo program

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#30]
The first pic with texture made my jaw drop; what a difference texture makes! Then the first couple pics in Blitz were disappointing, but those last couple look fantastic. Were you futzing with the texture in between screenies? It looks like the texture in the second set of pics is overbright with not enough contrast.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#31]
Just given him a shadow...

Uses another camera to create the projected shadow so it moves and stuff and looks nice...

Bob: The fire is just a simple particle system using sprites, nothing special there at all.

Luke/Blitz/Red: Thanks! What more can I say!?

neightrtwok: Not yet, there's really nothing to show.

Joe: The first textures shot was my first attempt. It looked crappy from some angles so I re-UVed the whole shebang and retextured from scratch again. The next shots were just the first Blitz Shots with no thought to lighting. There's a spherical map on the final shots to make it more shiny and golden looking. I'll probably retexture it again anyway! Also more work with lighting to make it look better.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#32]
cool, post a demo or at least a vid so i can see the animation

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#33]
that's a beautiful texture!!!

I'd hate to be the one animating it, though.. because of the way you've designed its legs like a true reptile, it's gonna move in a way not easily captured by 3D models I bet!

Good luck Rob, it's VERY impressive

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#34]
Does my cousin bite? :D

*ROAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*