Does This Look Bad...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Does This Look Bad...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]
... as in bad, not good.

the enameling of the textures... what's your first impression, should i not doit, or is it ok...

thx

--Mike

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks bad... however...

Take that new texture and add it as a layer on the old texture and then just set the blend mode to luminance or something similar and just bring up the percentage until it looks like a subtle effect. That way you might get the best of both worlds.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#3]
Static screens look bad (as in not good). Dunno.... maybe it looks better moving?

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Maybe it would look better sinking.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#5]
thx all... except for puki...

somebody do me a favor and sink his sausage for him :P

i'm gonna try what you suggested Rob... sounds like it might work out...

--Mike

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Sorry Red, but... Yuk!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks like way to much contrast. I take it you used some sort of emboss filter?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
yup... experimenting... PSP's enamel fileter...

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#9]
looks over embossed to me. is there no way you could have a second layer to make a bump layer, so then you could pick out out the bits in black and white that you want to make bumpy, not just a blanket emboss on everything.
that fake normal map thing might work in this case

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#10]
as they've said above me, it looks too embossed.
The seams doesn't do it justice neither..

your sub sucks! (water into the water ballast tanks that is)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#11]
Any chance you could post the textures your using? I could maybe have a mess aournd :o)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#12]
Yeah, that's just like me with a combo of MS Paint and PSP X, thinking that I have it made... You're sort of in the same boat as me (even tho my graphics are 2D using tile graphics). However, to manuipulate tile graphics into a 3D evironment, you would probably have to align your tile sizes and shapes to the polygons in your model, which can be totally inaccurate at first. Now, the right shading, and the right movements of those polygons can, and probably will result in how these textures will react and, well, there's a big science to it, it's just hard to explain... I tried that, and that's what forced me back into 2D development. I really thought I had it made going 3D, but that tanked... Polygonal tile graphics is far more difficult than 2D tile graphics, that's for sure...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#13]
The emboss effect looks bad especially when the texture is scaled so high. It's looking like plastic, or like grey chocolate. Also if the object is moving it may look pretty unrealistic since the "shadows" are not dynamic.

On still images it gives some kind of bumpmapping effect, but really only a trace of it.

It may look much better when you scale the texture in a way that makes it look less blur. Additionally you may add a texture layer with some very fine grainy structure, so even close up looks are not blur.

You may have to work on your UV coords for the ship to get a decent resolution with eg. a 1024 texture.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#14]
thx again guys... was really just 'playing around' with this... from the start i sorta figured it wasn't really the way to go...

--Mike

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#15]
I don't know anything about your texture resolution, but what everyone else has been saying about scale is correct. Here are a few textures I made up that may (or may not) help. Feel free to use these in any way you wish.

I don't know anything about panel details on these things, so I just made something up. Notice how small I am keeping all of the bevels on these. maybe you can find a use for it?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#16]
thx pongo... i'm gonna play with those tommorrow to see if i've got this layered texuring thing down half right... i've been following your other thread regarding highlights and specular mapping...

it was quite helpfull...

i've spent almost the past two days on texturing... my goal is to understand the differences of how to implement the various effects... specularity, bumpmapping, diffuse layers...

i finally managed to get something going in a6 that is starting to look like it came from DOOM3... in other words, i've finally close to getting that plasticy and gooey look i've been aiming for for so long :)

those aren't my base textures i'm working with here, all i'm doing is working on getting a decent normal map and specularity from them (i'm not using a high poly model to gen the normal map from, i'm converting a greyscale image)... i'm almost there... still a ways to go though (as you can see)... but this has been a sobering experience...

getting decent looking results with specmaps and bumpmaps can be a real pain, especially if you don't have the skillz (like i don't)... i used to think that all i needed was a normal map generator and a dx9 game engine, and the rest would be a breeze... was i wrong about that...

i'm gonna give it a try it with the textures you just made available, just to see what i can get... i'll post the results tommorrow (for better or worse)... i'm just too burnt out right now to do anything else... my eyes are shot from these monitors blinding me for the past 15 hours, and i haven't even eaten dinner yet... so i'm about done for now...

--Mike

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#17]
Ach, mein augen!! THAT'S TOO BRIGHT!!!

Oops, sorry... It's just that reflection just gets to me, it's great otherwise.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#18]
yes... you're right Bob, the lighting is a *lil* to harsh...
i had a light set right next to the object, and had it turned all the way up... the color components were all the way up to 255,255,255 and the range was way up as well...

this is what it looks like after i turned down the light a bit... still a lil too goooey, but i'm getting there... slowly but surely :0

pongo... here's what the textures above look like after being hastily normalmapped and put onto another cube...

--Mike

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#19]
Don't forget about consistency. One normal-mapped piece, no matter how nice looking on it's own, will make the scene look awful if nothing else is normal mapped. This means you'll have to normal map everything; given how much effort you're spending on this one thing, do you really think that's feasible? You might be better off with a simpler look, since you can make that more consistent.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#20]
You might be better off with a simpler look, since you can make that more consistent.

yes... true... definitely gotta be a consideration...

right now i'm trying to get something similar in Blitz... those shots were just examples of the target i'm aiming for... if i can get even a decent looking tone mapping i'll be satisfied...

the screenies above require the end user to have a pixel shader 2 compliant card as a minimum as well... and although there are a large number out there, i'd rather not impose that sort of limitation just yet anyways...

thx for the insights jH...

--Mike