Robot villian character

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Robot villian character

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#1]

Here is the villian counterpart to my main character ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57612 )

Didn't think it would take me this long to knock this guy out but I had a few starts & restarts before I was happy with the look. Now it's time to animate this bad boy!

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#2]
Good stuff, but isn't a little costly for a blitz game? Triangle wise that is.

But if it works, then it will be awesome!

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
I like that - very cool.

Not sure I like him wearing sneakers though. However, the other character is wearing sneakers too so it may look okay.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#4]

but isn't a little costly for a blitz game? Triangle wise that is.

Nope. I wouldn't do a (human) game character under 5K polys these days... and the way the hardware works it's just as fast to render 2000 than 200 boned one material triangles (ie render batch).

3D hardware is designed to push large batches of polygons fast but whenever it has to change material / object (=surface) it stalls a bit and have to use some time for preparing the next batch. This is the main reason why lot of surfaces with low total amount of tri's will kill your framerate (providing that fillrate is not an issue).

Oh, and nice character!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
Dustin,

Thats really fab. I might suggest you try a different colour for the feet unless thats something integral to the game.Black or dark grey may draw your eye less to the feet.

I love his eyes too. Perhaps it would be super cool to make the visor semi transparent and specular and have the eyes sunken behind it - still as a texture - but the depth may give more of a feel of something evil lurking within.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
I like the design but I'm not too keen on the sneakers, either. Doesn't make him look very villainous. :) I guess it depends on the style of your game, though...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#7]
Nope. I wouldn't do a (human) game character under 5K polys these days... and the way the hardware works it's just as fast to render 2000 than 200 boned one material triangles (ie render batch).

Thats true mustang, however in blitz3D you will pay a massive price when animating him.

This is because the animation is done on the CPU and not on the GPU (DX7)

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks guys!

I'd agree that 1768 is a lot of triangles for B3D to animate... but I'm cheating. The robots will all be MD2 objects. Only the main character will be a boned character. My low end target machine is my old laptop: a P3 with a 16 meg GeForce2Go video card. If I can get it to run okay on there then I'm golden. And if I can't then I'll start knocking down the size. We'll see.

As for the sneakers... there's 2 reasons that they're a must. 1) I'm making a 'casual' game so I have to make it as kid/soccer mom friendly as I can. 2) Most importantly, CHUCK JONES RULES ALL:

It's my little tribute.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hey, you can't forget Gossamer's sneakers:

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#10]
CHUCK JONES RULES ALL:

i second that

nice bad guy ;)

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#11]
Looks like the monster is looking for a backdoor 8O