rugby stuff

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/rugby stuff

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#1]
some images from rugby challenge 2006 that I worked on. last few are from brian lara international cricket
Not my best work ever, but considering the time frame they came out ok

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#2]
Great work as always. Really inspiring and envy making.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
Dam, your good! And a bit modest with the comments. Excellent work man!

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very good, but I don't understand. I am sure there's a Wayne Rooney, Brian Glover, Brian Blessed, Gavin Henson (fair enough) and Roy Keane within your Rugby 2006 images.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Heh, I spotted Brian Blessed and Brian Glover, too. :)

Very nice work, BTW.

[edit] So, after all these years, Yosser finally got a job, then. :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
extremely impressive! best stuff I've seen in ages.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#7]
thaks for the kind comments guys.
yeah some of the minor celebs you spotted are indeed in the game. We did have the chuckle brothers in some where in rugby or it might have been cricket .

The first guy is not wayne rooney BTW, just looks bit like him.

Brian Blessed is a referee and I myself am in the game under my real name.
Not all of the players are real players you see, so you need a pool of fake players to make the numbers up.
Choosing famous people just makes it more fun for us.

Genrally I knocked up 3 heads a day for about 4 months

N(Posted 2006) [#8]
I still like the work you do on the faces' flesh, but your hair doesn't really share the same level of quality.

I did a quick search for some tutorials on the subject, this one came up first.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=259468
Edit: Here's another one which seems to cover it decently. http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/painting_hair/paintinghair_01.asp
Edit 2: And another that's definitely applicable to skinning. http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/2003/08_aug/tutorials/pshair030825.htm

Looks good and the technique is solid. Should be applicable to skinning (or texturing, depending on your definition of skinning).

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#9]
That one dude looks like Onslow.

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2006) [#10]
It is Onslow, or the bloke who plays Onslow. =/

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#11]
problem is noel is the time thing. when you have about an hour to do the hairstyle, you have to really rush through it

that is onlsow BTW, he used to be in a coronation stret as a bin man called 'eddie yates'

N(Posted 2006) [#12]
Ruz: Even so, if you get better at hair then you can do a better job in the time frame. Benefits everyone, I think, since you learn something, they get (to see.. -- yeah, you're gonna give the viewer a pretty hair cut :P) pretty hair, etc.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#13]
I take your criticism, but in a way you don't understand the way it works.
you knock up assets in a production line fashion and the techniques I used suited the task in hand ie the style that was required.
Believe it or not even doing them 'this' good upet some of the senior artists.
You are not just dealing with technique but a lot of politics also.

Most of the heads shown are pool heads and we are actually to not to make them too good as they are not considered important in the grand scheme of things.

you are considered a bit 'odd' if you spend extra time making things just right.
sounds weird, but its true.

The hair I am doing now for next gen is of a much higher quality.

N(Posted 2006) [#14]
you are considered a bit 'odd' if you spend extra time making things just right.
sounds weird, but its true.

Probably true for a few studios, but as far as I'm concerned if I come across one I'm not working there. Foolish or not, I have every intention of doing what I want before doing things for someone else. Probably selfish too.

Anywho, that's off topic.

My main point is, since you seem to still have the flats (considering the picture of that fat, ugly git has the flats -- criticism of that specific one follows), you should be able to at least produce a modified version of it with improvements.

Now, the fat ugly guy's texture is extremely wasteful. As is obvious, it's pretty much 100% symmetrical and half the texture is unused. How you even got away with that is beyond me, but you really should know better than to do that.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#15]
Onslow F'N Rocks. Any game with Onslow in it is a good game, lol.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#16]
Noel , I am not getting away with anything. You really are talking out fo your hat.
As far as stuff being wasteful, try telling the senior artist that his uv layouts are crap and see how far you get.

You see, I only textured them , did not produce the the original model or indeed uv map it and was not allowed to change anything even if I wanted .
politics is a huge part of the games industry and you can't just go doing it 'your' way even if you want .

It took me a almost a year to convince them that the style I was using was the right one.
Even then it caused me a lot of grief that I could have well done without.

Things have changed now as I am heading towards being a senior artist and I have a lot more say in what goes on.
We are also working on next gen stuff now which demands a much higher standard.

N(Posted 2006) [#17]
As far as stuff being wasteful, try telling the senior artist that his uv layouts are crap and see how far you get.

Give me his e-mail address then. I don't see the harm in him knowing just how much wasted texture space he has with those maps given that they're symmetrical.

politics is a huge part of the games industry and you can't just go doing it 'your' way even if you want .

You can sit there and take it or you can do something about it. I pick the latter.

It took me a almost a year to convince them that the style I was using was the right one.

Well that's not really related.

Things have changed now as I am heading towards being a senior artist and I have a lot more say in what goes on.

I'd slap you on the back but I'm a little too far away.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#18]
you still live with your parents don't you:)

N(Posted 2006) [#19]
I'm 17, you tell me.

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#20]
the skin tones look superb

N(Posted 2006) [#21]
Ruz is good with flesh.

That sounded unintentionally dirty...

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'd say Noel, I here have still yet to learn how to even "paint" flesh.

For some reason, Eddie Yates looks a lot like one of the characters off this show "Heartbeat", unless that is him. =\

Sorry to hear about the lack of power you have with regards to creative freedom, it's stuff like that imo that seperates bland generic look from something that's more exaggerated and contains more life to it.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#23]
For some reason, Eddie Yates looks a lot like one of the characters off this show "Heartbeat", unless that is him. =\
Yep. Same bloke.

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2006) [#24]
He's 'Vernon Scripps' in Heartbeat. My dad watches it.. honest!

Ice9(Posted 2006) [#25]
Nice work ruz. about 80 hours for the face textures then?
I tend to agree with the economization of time verses quality.
Why do it perfect when time is at a premium. A nice 512 texture that will only take up maybe 64x64 at its closest
camera position is overkill. The same goes for poly's on
a mesh.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#26]
Genexi2 - yeah its easy to get annoyed working in the game industry.
If you are not careful you will spend all of your time getting annoyed which is not good for you

ice 9 - yeah these are very small in game. you only see the faces occasionally in replays and pre game lineups

heads are 256 for the pc version, prolly 128 for the ps2

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#27]
a lot of work there. very well done!

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#28]
I did around 170 heads in total
spent bit more time on the proper players

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#29]
Very good stuff , as usual. And yup, in games it's all related to time given. Absolutely.

"If you are not careful you will spend all of your time getting annoyed which is not good for you"

Huge truth. But I seem not find a way to stop getting anoyed...

..While my bosses are freaking happy with my work, yet looks like it means nothing, really.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#30]
yeah, thats about the way it sesm to work Bob3d, we do all the hard work and other reap the rewards.

BTW I avoid being annoyed by punching anyone who disagrees with me :)

puki(Posted 2006) [#31]
I really do wish you'd start modelling naked women. How about celebrity ones - I can think of quite a few.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#32]
good idea Puki. i will get to it right away

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#33]
"yeah, thats about the way it sesm to work Bob3d, we do all the hard work and other reap the rewards."

Exactly. So true. As an oil painter, I had better chances... But the thing is I am building my 'other' stuff to get ride of 'em some day... ;)
Not easy, though.

"BTW I avoid being annoyed by punching anyone who disagrees with me :) "

Lol, I would too...but is a bit illegal, they told me :D

...and besides, I already broke one finger hitting a wall not long ago...

Seems getting older even for that :D

Ruz, my vote for the naked celebrities ;)

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#34]
I am very luck bob , because my work mates are good fun on the whole . have soem great laughs at work
for example when someone breaks wind, people ring bells and play musical instruments .( I am not joking)

puki(Posted 2006) [#35]
Ah, work with "ENAY" do you?

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#36]
No, i work with that guy from 'aha' and he is six foot seven , bloody nora

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#37]
lol

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#38]
Really good stuff!

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#39]
thnk yu