30 Minute Airplane

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/30 Minute Airplane

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]
it's really easy to get distracted, especially when you're working on stuff that is giving you a hard time, and you need to take a break (which is why i'm typing this here now)...

anyways, i had the 3DRAD forum (i know you guys are tired of hearing about 3DRAD every other post i make) open on one of the screens, and i got involved with a noob who is sincerely trying to make an airplane game of some sort... and wound up making this in about 30 minutes...

it actually flies around, does loops, slides into turns... and flies through scenery and ground meshes :)

i didn't think too much of it, but on second look, and if noel hamburger whatever it is he's calling himself at the moment can post his clamation stuff, i figured, well, what the heck...

if anyone else has some quick stuff they've whipped up in a few minutes or so that they're not too ashamed to show :) hey put it up here...

--Mike

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#2]
Isn't there a plane demo already in RAD?

Anyway, this was a 'game' I made a while ago to learn to use types.

Collect the cider and burgers before the police catch you, you dirty little chav...

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#3]
You made the airplane 3d model or the app that runs everything? If you made the 3d model in half an hour including texture and uv mapping, that would be impressive.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
..here is something I'm working on right now..its not finished yet, water is not added, normapping ,dynamic light for each torch, etc..anyway, thats it..uh, this is not done in half an hour..sorry Red buddy :))

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#5]
What? You trying to reinvent UT 2004 or Quake here? That's exactly what those pics look like, Naughty...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
its easy to recognize Lotus particle system here..anyway, I can send you mesh if you dont belive man... level is builted according to comic book from China, and we are working on 3 levels prototype, according to their drawings..this is 'passing' level between two levels and at the end of swimming pool will be 'terminal' for unlocking invisible bridge whats connecting two levels...mahh..long story, anyway, thats crap what taking my time now..

big10p(Posted 2006) [#7]
lol @ Muzzer's game :P

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
lol @ Muzzer's game :P

yeah... me too :)

i think that there's a plane demo somewhere around in RAD, nothing like this one though... i think that one actually works :)

hey Muz, isn't that Burburry pattern copyrighted... they will sue :)

@ braincell...
yup... the whole magilla... actually, it wasn't that much... just a warped cylinder in Truespace for the fuselage... another one for the @#!*pit bubble... flattended squares, pulled and stretched and segmented for the wings and tail... that only took a few minutes... finding the textures, and then skinning the model in UUW took the longest...
then open the default starter project in RAD, rename it, add an xvisual, set it to the plane, add thrust, add a few keys to turn, climb, and dive... all in around 30 minutes... actually, me thinks it took less time than that...

now in all honesty, it doesn't actually fly like a real plane... it just moves through the air and climbs, rolls, and slides around in turns...

@NA...
yeah... that looks pretty damn good... seriously... wow...

--Mike

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#9]
hey Muz, isn't that Burburry pattern copyrighted... they will sue :)

I'm actually using a fake burberry design so I should be ok :)

Great screens there NA. What was the level modelled in?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hey Muzzer..level and light is done in 3DSMAX end exported over B3D pipeline..

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#11]
hey NA... it looks as if the scene is lightmapped, but it would be so coll if the lighting where the torches are at would flicker a bit... that would really add an atmospheric touch to the scene...

... and maybe a lil ground fog add in.

--Mike

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
NA: some nice screenies there, but the shadows cast by the torches on either side of the doorway just look wrong, to me. They look far too big and intense. Just my opinion. :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hey Red..that what I'm working on now..flickering from all torches..missing water too, and normalmapping..anyway, its not finished yet..I just grab screenies when I saw your post :)
nig10p, shadows on the stone is like that becouse of stone angle..angle is not 90 degrees against floor, its bigger than that, and thats why is it a little bit darker and wider...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#14]
shadows on the stone is like that becouse of stone angle..angle is not 90 degrees against floor, its bigger than that, and thats why is it a little bit darker and wider...
Ah, that would explain it, although, the walls look pretty close to 90 degrees to me.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
..oh, its not..maybe its like that from distance..byr the way, how to achieve ground fog in Blitz3D?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#16]
oh definitely i understand it's a WIP... and the shots 'may not represent the quality of the final product' :)

even at this stage it looks really good... i just popped up with those suggestions, mostly 'cause i've been working on a similar thing in my engine (see second half of this vid --> http://home.att.net/~subbase1/ProgRept29.wmv ) for the sub thing... fire and reflections at night... the vid is bad quality, but it's short and will give you an idea of how i got it working (problem though getting the effect to show on lightmapped objects as well)...

as for the ground fog... download and take a look at this demo that was recently posted...
--> http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57575

look towards the sky, and move the viewpoint above the clouds... might give you an idea of how something similar might be made into ground fog...

... then tell me what you came up with :)

--Mike

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
hey Red..what demo?? :))

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#18]
sorry, i type slow... had to find the links ... it's up there now...

--Mike

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
ok..next post will be with ground fog..not exactly this way, but I have something else on my mind.. ;)

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#20]
Oh so you downloaded the texture and maybe modified it a little. Then its not that impressive, its normal speed. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#21]
hey... i was impressed...

:)

--Mike

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#22]
Hey Muzzer, you're ok coz it's only a little bit like it.

It's more Suburberry really.