Game Character & animation

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Game Character & animation

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's a look at my main game character:

The image comes from this animation test of him running:
http://www.mediumedge.com/bbnd/player.exe

Feedback is always welcome.

UPDATE: as xlsior pointed out, you need to save it before running. If you run it directly from the link you'll most likely get a lovely MAV.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks really great. Glad to see you got him reduced in polys.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#3]
Not a lot I can say apart from looks great, nice fluid animation. Not sure I understand what the changing colour thing is for and the visor isn't clear, but I'm sure once you've got the textuing all complete it'll look great.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#4]
That's great, I love the animation.

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#5]
Really lovely animation. I love the solid chunky feel of the character.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeah, nice work.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Whoa, nicely done ;o)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well done.

I'm missing "eyes" though...

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#9]
very nice chunky run

more ;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
yeah, Whoa!!! that's AAA stuff...

i remember this guy... he's come a long ways :)

--Mike

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks everyone!

@rob I'm making a 'casual' game so the color selection will be there to allow the player to sort of customize their avatar. I might also have other characters to choose from. Since the anim is boned, I can easily swap it for another.

@Grisu 75% of the gameplay will have the chracter in profile so I decided to go with a shiny visor rather than trying to have the eyes visible behind it. Although, when you duck in a dark hiding place the character will go completely dark and you will see his eyes staring out at you. :)

BTW, I learned something about surfaces... they can change order! I hard coded the color change to the first surface it finds. Well, that breaks sometimes and the other parts suddenly start changing colors and an incorrect texture is applied. I changed it to look up the name of the texture on the surface to make sure it is mucking with the right surface.

I've uploaded a corrected version so if you have the older version and it goes whacky then you can redownload it or just toss it in the trash. :)

NEXT UP... ROBOT VILLIANS!!!

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#12]
Great stuff man! How many poly's

Oh and your demo gave me a MAV

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#13]
Grr! Okay, I replaced the current MAV enducing demo with the 'less broken' occasionally texture swapping version until I can get it all stright. Sorry about that.

The guy is around ~2k triangles.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#14]
Looks really nice, great work!

As a side-note: Get a MAV if I run it directly through Internet Exploder, but if I save to disk first and run the saved file, it plays without problem.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#15]
@Dustin: ahh... ok, that sounds great. Screenie? ;)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#16]
yeh - thats sweet :] - love the animation...
- its kinda like a mini "doom" player..with the wrong shoes
- on :] :p

ICECAP(Posted 2006) [#17]
Really love the animation.
What did you make it in?

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#18]
@Icecap - Thanks! My pipeline is: Lightwave; export to .x; load up in Ultimate unwrap and convert to B3d. I'd use the LW to B3d exporter but too many issues with goofy bones & UV mixups. For the record, GILE[S] seems to goof up the UVs a little too sometimes.

To anyone that cares: the shoes are pure Chuck Jones. And the white disc on the chest is my Kryten nod.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#19]
thats not his chest is it?

Dustin(Posted 2006) [#20]
Hmm, you know I wasn't trying. But now that you mention it the chest is Kryten like.

I promise I didn't include his external attachment feature. :)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#21]
what i ment is that i would say that disc is more on his stomach, a little low for chest. It looks really great anyway

FBEpyon(Posted 2006) [#22]
Looks Great I just love the char design, keep up the good work..