Am I Going A Lil Overboard...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Am I Going A Lil Overboard...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]
... with these bow wakes?

i saw a sub running at a pretty good speed and the waves it threw up were pretty impressive... so i'm trying to get the same effect here... actually, i'm trying to get a slightly more dramatic effect... but i wonder if it's a bit too much...

--Mike

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#2]
i think it looks a bit much if its just cruising. if it just surfaced quickly and balanced.. then i think its good.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's looking great. If you would find a way to disguise the clipping of the splash sprites on the ship hull, that would be even better.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#4]
What JFK said, the effect looks a little too "fake" as it is in that shot.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#5]
thx guys for the input... i'm working on it... i had big clipping problems with the sprites and the water... took me a few days to fix that... i'm trying to do something now to make the sprites that make up the bow wake a lil more realistic looking...

--Mike

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hey, I've actually been on the conning tower of a Trident going at a fair rate of knots up the river Clyde so kinda have first hand experience :)

The wake looks to be going too high in the air but the lateral spread looks fine. Maybe if you faded them at a slightly quicker rate this would look more realistic.

Stevie

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks to me like the colour of the wake should be brighter...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
Steve... one of those Vanguard class subs may find it's way into a subsequent version of the sim btw... (if i ever get release one done) are there any web sites with pictures of the interiors of the UK subs (i've been all over the RN publicity sites)...

Muzz... yes, you're right... i've tried all sorts of things to get a 'bright' wake similar to what i've seen in other sim... still pusuing that...

thanks again guys...

--Mike

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#9]
You gotta have one of those big mother Typhoons in there too!!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
definitely...

:)

the model's already done (except for the interior)...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#11]
Red, is there any way i could get a model of your sub? IM playing with demo 2 some more for you.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
here's one of my subs Cyg... an earlier model of a Russian Typhoon... lightweight model

http://www.qualitysimulations.com/vs/files/typhoon.zip

and this my Trieste submersible that you can go inside of...

http://www.avsim.com/vs/ambry/deep_sea.exe

make a folder and unzip em to it... they will unzip a couple of folders in there... the models and textures are in the \boat folder...

these are lightweight and already up on the VS site, so they'll be easy for you to get and lightweight enough to test with...

lemme know if you have any problems with em... they are in .x format... sorry :) and you'll probably have to resize em to fit your needs...

i'm just finishing up some code stuff here, and will take an in depth look at what you sent me yesterday... thx...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#13]
Red, Just in case it got spammed, i sent you one more email with a better demo. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#14]
k... got it, i just checked... as long as you include CYGNUS in the subject, it should get to me...

--Mike

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#15]
I agree with Muzzer, if it's just surfaced and not moving forwards at great speed, then fine and the wake should die down a little. Otherwise, the extreme high-corner areas reach too high up. If it's moving along, make it brighter, thicker, foamier and a little lower down at the extremes.

Other than that, looking good :)

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#16]
Nice effect!
I have been wondering, how do you avoid clipping of sprites? (like was mensioned above)
I have no clue of even where to start with something like that.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#17]
i've calmed down the bow wake substantially... it does look more relaistic, but maybe stilla lil more than it could be... i'm still working on it...

@blitznerd...
i'm using a offshoot of Fredborg's water algorithm... the problem i was having, was that sections of the translucent water were clipping the sprites totally as they passed over them, or if the view was at an angle where they were directly in line with that section...

i wound up reducing the number of layers of transparency in the water code, which also had the side effect of reducing the quality of the water, but it was necessary... this elminated the sprite clipping (thank god)...

otherwise, the sprites worked fine... what are you working on implementing?

--Mike

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#18]
I don't know, mabe this has nothing to do with anything in this thread, but I have been wondering if there is a way for a sprite to keep it's same depth in the z-buffer, so that it stays behind other things when it is supposed to, but that part of it is not cut off by something else. For example, I am making a paintball game and am placing sprites on the ground to look like splattered paint, but if a sprite is too big or in a small gulley, part of it is hidden beneath the ground. I would like it to look like the whole thing is above the ground, but if something else gets in front of it, like a tree or a person, it does not look like it is in front of them too.

Also, in your first picture, how some of the sprites have choppy edges as they are cut off against the side of the sub, I don't think that looks as good as it would if they did not get cut off. This is also kind of what I am talking about.

Hopefully that made some scence!

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#19]
EntityOrder, but then you'll also have to specify an EntityOrder value for all the objects either in front of or behiund the bloodsplats.