qoob gets stairs!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/qoob gets stairs!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
You bet! Here an early pic of the steps. You get straight, right or land handed spirals.

They can be added together to create 8 turn spirals etc.

This is a crap low res test shot from the NEW qoob editor (qed) which is MUCH faster (7 FPS up to 79 FPS - I kid you not)

v0.10 is gonna blow you away - lots of super sexy additions etc, coming soon.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#2]
very very cool. lightmapping in the works?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
well...

the plan is...

a) lightmap the individual items (like stairs)
b) then export the entire world and lightmap it.

I have having trouble getting the individual items to look good when lightmapped - but working on it.

Any tips?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#4]
are you using your own world editor and importing objects or are you using something like 3dws?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
My own world editor...

qed - i.e. q(oob) ed(itor)

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
ah ok. i don't know jack about lightmapping other than through 3dws. i would have built the entire level in 3dws and lightmapped it... that's just what i'm used to. i'm sure once you add lightmapping qed will be perfect for what you're doing.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
I take it, your putting a plane/quads over them stairs, so you don't get the bumping effect?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#8]
No! In fact walking up em I do get a horrid bumbing effect. How do I put a plane/quad (invisible) over them?

Is that something I do in Wings?
Erm HELP! I'm very new to this modelling lark...

Please explain how to...

I have Wings, Unwrap and Giles.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#9]
he means an invisible wedge for collision. if you set the wedge's alpha to zero you should still be able to collide with it.

like so...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
i must be stupid (or new to modelling)...

Ok I could pull my model in Wings and adding the 'ramp'
but how do I flag it as invisible?

Or do I create a 2nd model that is JUST the ramp and position it over the top?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#11]
in your modeling program, build it where it needs to be over the stairs. save it as a separate mesh, then import into blitz and set its entityalpha to zero.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#12]
Or, export it, name it as invisible.

Do find child on your main mesh, to root out any meshes with invisible in the name, and set their alpha to 0.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#13]
markd,

what modelling software do you use. I having major troubles simply adding a 'ramp' to my stairs in Wings

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
OK - I've improved on the first draft...

How about these - 100% my own work even the textures, they are photos of my doors at home!

Notice they are a bit wonky now - a little more authentic...

No light mapping...

with light mapping...

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#15]
For a ramp, just create a cube the same dimensions of yoursteps and weld the top corners to the top of the stairs, and the bottom to the bottom of the stairs...

I'll make a quick example...

The dark grey lines are the stairs viewed from the side, the white lines are my ramp (though it should really extend to the ground plane).

I just created a cube the same size as the stairs, then moved the edges to meet the tops of the lop and bottom stair, if that makes sense.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
Ok compare this to the first shot - much nicer and the they have smooth ramps too - thanks all...

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#17]
Nice man. I likes :D

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#18]
Muzzer what package are you using for your modelling. I'm finding Wings a little painful...

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#19]
For level editing, I'm using DeleD at the minute. Nice once you get used to it, plus you can lightmap and use a plugin to export to B3D.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#20]
In game shot...

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#21]
Nice UI

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#22]
Another 2 screenies showing the finished stairs and the planks.

This is a 8*8*8 world (512 possible locations), some worlds are 61*61*61 (250, 000+ possible locations). It's big, in fact it's very big! Did I mention it's big? Imagine running around a 3d maze with a quarter of a million rooms trying to solve puzzles and you get some idea of what qoob is all about. Version 0.10b coming very soon (another MAJOR update)

This is an actual world in the full game...

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#23]
I think the wood texture would be better if the contrast were lower.

What do you think?

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#24]
Looks good!

Not too fond of the texture, but its good.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#25]
I'll tone it down a little...

Thanks for the feedback

0.10 coming soon

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#26]
i was trying out a earlier demo version, and i noticed that when you jump and hit the ceiling, and continue pressing the foward button, you move, attached to the cieling however, until you hit a wall.

I am not sure if thats been fixed yet but i think i recall you asking a question about gravity some time ago, and someone said you should use a line pick, then apply gravity. I found that this happens to me one my game also.

i posted this in another thread you made but am not sure you ever read it. Just making sure.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#27]
Boiled sweets. why don't you give silo a try

www.nevercenter.com

you could quaite easily add a ramp building function in your level editor.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#28]
n8r2k - i'll make sure it's fixed :-)

boomboom. I have ramps - I'll post a shot soon. Did em in Wings. The thing is I'm using a Wings/Blender - why should I pay for Silo?

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#29]
Well you where asking what modelers people where using (well that someone was using), So I thought I would post an option. :)