That bottles render again!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/That bottles render again!

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#1]
You may remember this image... if you have a scary obsession with me. (Please don't!)

While struggling to set up a wireless Internet connection on my Linux computer (the company that made my Wireless card refuse to support anything except Windows), I revisited that old bottles render, applying Craig's tips to it.

I'm not sure if I got it totally right, but the thing definietly looks better than before, and I'm happy with my other little tweaks as well.

-I accidentally changed the camera angle... I think it's a bit better. Also with 50mm lens :)
-The labels no longer have paper -- they're just letters printed directly on the bottles, which works much better with the style.
-I fixed some of the labels' UV coordinates. Also messed up one of the Epsilon Minus labels... which I fixed in the unuseable 300 MB file that I'm afraid to open -- let alone render. I'll just say it's intended to add a bit of weathering to the bottles... or it was applied by an Epsilon -.
-The rings going around the lids of the bottles now have actual 3d shape to them! They aren't rounded, sadly... and there's still a little glitch. I'll see if I can fix that eventually. (Unfortunately, I foolishly subdivided them 4 times making my file take up 300 MB and thus be impossible to render at 1280x1024 pixels...). The excuse right now is that they are flat to make the bottle openable, and the little notch is also part of the opening mechanism. (Some big bottle opening machine uses that notch to get a grip, perhaps).
-The conveyor belt is no longer too red.
-I changed the reflection on the backdrop to be really distorted. (It's still a reflection, though -- I like the effect that it gives).
-Most importantly: I applied Craig's various tips on lighting. I'm not sure if that render shows it, but I'm not rendering it again!

Thanks Craig!!

Oh... and the render:

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#2]
you mean those aren't real!!!

:)

seriously... it looks great... AAA stuff...

--Mike

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#3]
Epsilon Minus, eh?

"Roof!" :)

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey thats a great start. Studying materials, are you? You could do with better lighting in general. We can see that the bottle closest to the cam isnt high poly, which is very odd if you are rendering stuff. They should be high poly. But you certainly applied the plastic and metalic looking materials very well.

puki(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeh, pretty good - wrong colour for giraffes though.

Plus, I have never seen giraffes walking in file and side by side before. Giraffes generally roam randomally