sky domes

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/sky domes

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#1]
just playing about making sky domes trying to get the creative bug back

if any one an find a use for these then feel free to use in your projects hobby or commercial apart from re sale

from fairly normal to not normal, 1 or 2 are just re -coloured

cant host it for long no space

download...domes (12.5 mb)

...and so on

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#2]
This looks really nice, that skybox on the top right would look excellent for SRX, but I can't seem to get the file to download - every time I get 11.4mb - can you check if the archive is OK at your end?

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#3]
soz i woz just adding a few more, try again

i will stop messing about now, someone take this off me ;)

edit# i think the one your after was number 2 in the domes folder

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#4]
Are these free to use commercially?

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#5]
I am realy interested in making skyboxes.

How did you make these?

Do you have any advice about skyboxes/domes?

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#6]
Are these free to use commercially?

use for what ever you want :) apart from re-sale

ummm domes are a bit of a pain in the ass
coz you have to create a sphere then chop it up

i use lightwave and skytracer

i created a sphere did a sphere wrap at 2048 then chopped the dome in half and baked out just the top half of the dome to 1028 texture using a top half uv map then stretch out the uv..a bit long winded but it worked..you have to chop it up coz skytracer uses the mid of the dome for the horizion so you end up with useless junk on the bottom half

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for these scribbla/Tiler - these 2 look fantastic in SRX - the first one (skydome number 4) is my favourite -

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#8]
oooo that looks good...nice one

nice looking project

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks Scribbla

I shall see if I can get one into a Virtools demo on line for you to oggle at! Great work! We must have a chat and a cuppa with John again soon!

IPete2.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#10]
Got them Scribbla, thanks!
Amazing work.
Yeah, time we had another Northwest meet.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#11]
yeah, THANKS Scribbla... those look really nice...

V... your screenshots are impressive... nice work... the Scrib's skys really add a nice touch to em...

--Mike

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
These look very nice, but I have a question...

Why do some people use sky spheres/domes and others use sky boxes? I guess I should know the answer to this but I've never had the need to use either. :)

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#13]
@ Ipete & John yeah T & biscuits sounds good...how english is that ;)

@ Red ..pleasure

@big10p , i never liked sky boxes they always looked weird at the corners, spheres always tend to have a load of useless crap in the base of the sphere due to the programs that create them using the mid of the sphere as the horizon, domes tend to need a bit more messing about to create, but i think always look better

im just going to chill out and have a beer and knock a few more out, will post a zip with extra domes in

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#14]
http://www.planetarybiology.com/trilobiteworks/downloads.htm

Looks just like these...

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#15]
very similar..they look good

i use lightwave

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#16]
I use caffeine and nicotine...

Perhaps R. Crumb said it best

"Don't like no carrots.
Don't like no peas.
But a plate of Hostess Ding Dongs
will bring me to my knees."

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#17]
few more a bit more realistic

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#18]
These look great in Blitz

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#19]
Nice work man :o)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#20]
Are these free? Nice one. If you want I could host the first load for you?

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#21]
yep stevie they are free, they were just a mess about to try and get me in the creative mood, use for what ever you want apart from resale

as for hosting cheers , i will mail you the first zip ;)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#22]
Cheers ... had to mess around with the source to get just the second pack to work properly. May be an idea to include everything in one? Got plenty of free space atm so should be fine for a while.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#23]
These look very nice, but I have a question...

Why do some people use sky spheres/domes and others use sky boxes? I guess I should know the answer to this but I've never had the need to use either. :)

I would have thought you'd know Big10! ;)

From my experience: Spheres/Domes are much easier to implement, but lack the quality and resolution that can be achieved with a box. So it's a case of quick & easy versus more tedius but verry effective.

I've always used SkySPheres in the past, but I've just recently changed these to SkyBoxes for Galactic Allegiance and the improvement is astounding. If you're really going for a sense of scale, I'd recommend boxes. If you just want a generic background then spheres/domes might just do!

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#24]
Many thanks again, Scribbla.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#25]
Scribbla & Malice: OK, cheers. I'll probably get round to playing with sky domes/spheres/boxes one day. :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#26]
very cool, thanks a lot!

teraku(Posted 2006) [#27]
Hi Guys!

Anyone got the code to load this skydome into blitz3d?
Vorderman, could you give me a hand? I like your screenshots. Have you got some code for it?

thanks!

teraku(Posted 2006) [#28]
Ok guys, i was able to make it work grabbing some code from here and there. Now I'd like to make it full bright. How do you set this property for its material?

teraku(Posted 2006) [#29]
Ok I also found this code for that:
;establigh my lighting
Global light = CreateLight((1),(skydome))

But it's only affecting half of my skydome; how can I get it to affect the full skydome?

Any ideas?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#30]
EntityFX ent,1 makes an entity fullbright.

teraku(Posted 2006) [#31]
Thanks big10p!! =)

what's the "1" at the end, just a flag to set it true or false?
Is there a way to make the skydome even brighter?

final question:
My level seems a bit dark; is there a way of adding a general light for it?
I had:
;Global Light
Global light = CreateLight((1),(map))

But it seems to do nothing.

Thanks again!!

big10p(Posted 2006) [#32]
what's the "1" at the end, just a flag to set it true or false?
No, it's a 'bit flag'. EntityFX can be used for other effects, too. Look at the command in the docs for a full explanation.

Is there a way to make the skydome even brighter?
To do this, you'll have to make the actual texture 'brighter', in PhotoShop, or whater image software you use.

final question:
My level seems a bit dark; is there a way of adding a general light for it?
I had:
;Global Light
Global light = CreateLight((1),(map))

You could try using LightColor to ramp it up e.g. LightColor light,255,255,255 will make the light it's brightest. You could also try doing a similar thing with the ambient light, using the AmbientLight command.

teraku(Posted 2006) [#33]
Trying them out immediately! thanks for all the help!
=)

teraku(Posted 2006) [#34]
I cleaned up my code a bit and organized my files to upload the project in case you want to try it out. Any other suggestions are totally welcome (specially blitz3d coding ideas or etiquette, etc). I also included the Giles file in case you want to experiment with the level's lighting.

Now I want to dig some more on particles (for torches), collision (for the player) and some extra fancy stuff like that very cool refelective water in Fred's example (From Giles).

I must say I'm very very impressed by Blitz3d's capabilities not only on the rendering side but also on how optimized it is to work with b3d files (not to mention how easy it is to add stuff to your program and get an executable).
It's also been a great chance to compare performance and features with Irrlicht. The results I'm getting from Blitz are much better than I expected. =)

ok, you can grab the stuff here:
http://afecelis.gdlib.net/Blitz3d/temple.zip

Oh yes! and many thanks for all the help.

teraku(Posted 2006) [#35]
I improved the level's lighting a bit and added Giles' Treed trees.

teraku(Posted 2006) [#36]
@scribbla: could you please re-upload the other missing skydomes? only the extra skydomes link is working.
=)

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#37]
dont have the space for both zips and im having problems emailing it over..so grab it quick, let me know when you have it :)

#link removed

teraku(Posted 2006) [#38]
Many thanks Scribbla! You're very kind. I got the first part so you may erase it now. You got plans to upload part2 now? ;)

If you want I can mirror them for you on my ftp.

thanks again.

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#39]
part 2 was the extra domes zip which i think you already have :)

teraku(Posted 2006) [#40]
great! then I got them all! =)
let me know if you'd like me to mirror them.