Rusty Girder

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Rusty Girder

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]

I think I'm getting better a Wings and UnWrap thanks to all the help from the Blitz Community.

I plan to make my various models available on my site when I have a spare moment.

This is a screenie from UnWrap which is doing nice lighting, when it's pulled into Blitz it looks 'washed' out, do I just need to run it through Giles?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
Nice mesh. The texture could be better. Looks more like strawberry jam than rust to me. there's a lot of rust pics around. Use a high definition thing, eg. 512*128.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
jfk - could you send me one please?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#4]
do you have photoshop?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
yup

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
try this: duplicate the layer and set the new layer to "Color Burn". you might have to lighten the base layer a lot. adjust the contrast on the base level to bring out the details and sharpen things up a bit. if things are still too dark, decrease the opacity on the "color burn"ed layer. experiment with that. you could even add a layer of clouds (filter/render clouds) set to "multiply" in between or on top for an added worn look.

i used the same technique on this axe. i know it looks ridiculous, but it shows what you can do with layers.

www.strafed.net/gallery/d/27-1/axe2.jpg

you might want to also burn the edges and corners a bit to give it more realism.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
markd - that axe is IMPRESSIVE!

stayne(Posted 2006) [#8]
thanks, but it's really not all that great unless you're looking for an axe that got burned in a house fire.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#9]
MARKD,

OK THE GIRDER IS LOOKING BETTER BUT...

You know the 'ends' of the girder, well I can scale them so they are nice and big and get lots of detail in there but the tops, sides and bottom are very long and cannot scale enough to get any decent detail in there.

Is there a way round this? I can only seem to scale the UVs proportionally. Perhaps is the way mapping works but can I break sections down into boxes and zoom thosE?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#10]
although you have plenty of room for the ends, try to keep everything in proportion. don't break down anything or you'll end up with texture seams where they don't need to be. there will be times where you're going to have some painful empty space, you just have to live with it.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#11]
for an object that is so long and narrow, you may want to use tiling for the texture. here is a quick example using your mesh,...

http://www.andimages.com/proofs/pongo/girder.zip

here is the image used (included in the .zip)

the texturing has some streaking and needs some more cleanup, but it should give you the basic idea.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
Nice texture, pongo.

In case it wasn't said yet:
I still don't have Unwrap, but I guess you can do this with both, Lithunwrap and its sequel Ultimate Unwrap:

You can move and scale the UVs. Now you could scale it 100% of the height of the texture, but eg. 400% of the width. For this you need to zoom out to see all UVs while the texture will be only a small patch in the middle of the window. If you scaled its width to 400% then it will be tiled horizontally 4 times. To scale Quads (and you should always scale Quads) nonproportionally, all you have to do is choose the Face selection mode and then select the quad, then use scale>free.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ha, from planks to girders, a couple more days and you'll have the whole building!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
Pongo,

AH! Now if someone had told me the UV extends beyond that grid :-(

Can I use that texture in my game? I think it's perfect as is.

Out of interest how exactly do you...

1. turn the 4 or so tris on the tops and bottoms on the girder into just 2 tris?

2. create that texture, particualrly the crosshatches and kinda 3d bits that add depth?

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#15]
feel free to use the texture any way you wish.

here is another way to build the mesh, removing some extra faces.

For that texture I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed an image and manipulated it,... the crosses were in there, so I just had to make it tile side to side and add in some shadow areas.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
So the one on the right only has 2 tris on the top/bottom?

How did you tile it and do the shadow?