Galactic Allegiance spacecraft

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Galactic Allegiance spacecraft

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's a small sample of Static's meshes for G.A shown as an evolutionary development in the textures and use of Blitz3D effects:

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#2]
The third spaceship from the top is ok but I'm not too keen on the others.

The first one doesn't have enough geometry and the texture is very poor.

The texture on the second one is too cartoony and "busy".

The fourth one - again - has a texture which just looks too "busy", muddy and contrast-y. I also don't like the model; it's obviously a modified version of the third model but it has been ruined by making it more boxy.

I dislike the the ring around the planet - too grainy and contrast-y, and also the lighting needs work because the spaceship looks too dark, drab and gloomy.

If the images show the way in which the game has visually and stylistically progressed then I'd say thay there have been a few steps backwards since the third image.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#3]
The images were designed to show development of the skins. The planet etc in the last image are there because it's the most recent screenshot I have, so please disregard the planet and rings etc. And yes, it's dark because - well... Space is :)

The fourth one is NOT a modified version of the first, but in fact an unmodified version of the last one :)

Thanks for the comments. I've passed the details to Static!

*(Posted 2006) [#4]
Technically space isnt as dark as it appears, what happened to the light from the sun or isnt there one in that solar system. If there isnt one then what is lighting up the planet? :)

I agree the ship is too dark it would be nice to just have a little light.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#5]
hmmm..the ships are ok, but a little more mesh detail
wouldnt hurt - you can get away with quite a lot if you
employ a lod system...when i was making my space game
i could push the make highest detail for small ships like these
to 1500 polys..and the larger ships to 3k with no problems,
but i guess it doesnt really matter..
The use of specular highlights isnt too great, either remove
this or alter the settings..doesnt tend to look right for most
objects anyway...specially low detail models..
The ships textures look like some weird stone pattern, not
metal..perhaps this is deliberate..but i dont really like it.

To be fair - these games arent easy to make, despite what
some people might think..and the fact that your getting
somewhere with it is good :] - keep up the good work +
dont be put off by my negative comments ;)

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#6]

Technically space isnt as dark as it appears

Technically space is EXACTLY as light or dark as it APPEARS :D

(no offence, Im just bein' an arse! ;) )

seriously - thanks for the comments, people. Points taken and yeah, Ive gotta get those effects right!

Constructive negative criticism is so much more helpful for getting things right, so thannks again.

Just a point of note... my personal favourite is the third one, looks like smoother, sleeker, shiny metal panels!

The skins are in a seemingly constant state of evolution and as you can see, Static's come a long way from the garish basic colours of the first image! So Im sure the 'stone' effect will be ironed out soon!

As for the polycounts, I pretty much requested they be kept low, the planets are quite high quality, and there's some pretty complex space stations to go in as well. This will be reviewed when I get to work on the LOD systems and using sprites to substitute distant meshes etc.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#7]
I Hope your interested in a broad spectrum of not necessarliy 'informed' opinion, the third image is too 'bendy' and the second image is the best because it has the three rooms at the back as well as the wings, then finally the straight bit at the front. My six year old sons opinion - I'm inclined to agree with him.

Congrats on such accomplished looking images.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
i dunno... the textured models seem to have a unique style all there own... lets wait a while and see where he's taking us with this...

it could be verrry interestic, artistic wise...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]
The hull material structure in the 2nd last pic reminds me of some textures I created some time ago, only yours are more blurred, less tecnoid.

I found it a pretty cool way of creating alien-tech looking structures:

take some macro images of microprocessors, they're full of lines and structures. blur them slightly, make greyscales from them, then add an emboss effect, that's all.

Like on this pic (hope you don't mind):

As you can see on the ceil it gives you almost a giger-esque structure.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#10]

almost a giger-esque structure

Just what I was thinking as I looked at that! Very nice and a good 'trick'!

I really welcome these comments as although the images lack the professionalism of most commercial games (especially nowadays), they are a gazillion times better than anything I could do, and I'm pretty awed with them, so it takes a second opinion and critical eye to point out what's been stated. Im up to my neck in coding at the moment, but Static, the 3D artist is working hard too so hopefully when the next phase of skin design comes around these points will be taken into account!

BlitzPlotter - Your son has my personal thanks for his keen observation :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#11]
I really like the model in the third pic. Good work!

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#12]
Okay, well now I've got the Sector-Building code pretty much of a workable-standard, I added it to the Mesh Viewer so the ship models could be viewed in a sector of space.

Still a little dark, but I think it's more atmospheric. Also the JPG compression has darkened the image and taken all the detail out of the skybox :(

Some things need to be tweaked a little - for instance, the planet's atmosphere should be darker on the darkside and maybe should be shrunk a little too.

Overall, I'm happy with the results.

Anyway, without further ado: Ta-Daaahhh!