How to model a simple flare?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/How to model a simple flare?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]

How can I create flare that looks like that?

I have wings3d and have created the basic shape, i.e. 3 cylinders, one long ad 2 wider shorter ones for the ends.

Now here comes the problems. Do I create UV maps for each cylinder or do I join them into one object then create a UV map for the entire thing?

I tried both ways and texturized them in photoshop but when I apply the maps in giles it all goes screwy.

Here is the UV Map in photoshop

and here is the resulting effect in giles

Shouldn't the yellow to red fade go down the cylinder and match nicely? See the weirdness its red and the top in parts and yellow at the top in other parts.

Could please someone tell me how to texturise this simple object - its driving me NUTS!

Here is the wings file - http://dev.boiledsweets.com/tmp/flares.zip

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#2]
I do ll of my uv mapping in ultimate unwrap3d i dont know how to do it in wings ive never used it. Get your model assign the same uvset (texture) to each part of your flare and unwrap this is really easy if each bit of your model is a different object.

the model above looks like some of the uv cords are round the wrong way this may be an export issue with wings i dont know.

but in answer to your question "Do I create UV maps for each cylinder or do I join them into one object then create a UV map for the entire thing?" it doent make any odds.

by unwrap and use that its dead simple ill help you out if you get stuck.

Pete

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#3]
why not just make it from a segmented cylinder (5 segs)

1 2 3 4 5
--|________|--|
| ________ |
--| |--|

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
Pete,

so create the model in Wings as 3 separate cylinders then export as 3ds? If I load into unwrap it says there are no uv coordinates.

Then I do 2d tools/unfold model?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Can't you just model it as a single mesh and then cylinder map it in ultimate unwrap?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#6]
Right looking better!

more questions - is the texture map stored within the 3ds file?

Also can I turn of the view of the tris in unwrap so I can see what the model really looks like without lines all over it?

Yan(Posted 2006) [#7]
more questions - is the texture map stored within the 3ds file?
I don't think so.

Also can I turn of the view of the tris in unwrap so I can see what the model really looks like without lines all over it?
Use the 3D shading window to change the 3d view.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#8]
AHA!

So how about this - looks great with the flame coming out! Thanks for your help.

Wings3s and Unwrap3d are the dog danglies!!!

IN GAME SHOT...

stayne(Posted 2006) [#9]
nice work. i'd do a drop shadow on the inner edges of those caps... or just burn in the shadows. btw, you can stack identical items on top of each other to save UV mapping space.

*picks up the flare and flings it into space*

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
Markd whatt you about the drop shadow?

Also what do you mean about stacking items?

Sorry a bit thick here

stayne(Posted 2006) [#11]
the inside edges of the caps on the flare should cast a shadow. drop shadow is the term used in graphic design for the common shadow effect you see underneath text, etc. sorry about that, didn't mean to confuse.
       |--------|
-------|        |
-------|        |
       |--------|
      ^shadow around this area

concerning stacking - if you were modeling a crate, and all sides were going to be the same texture, you would unwrap the crate using the box method, select each side, stack them on top of each other and move them all to the center of your UV mapping space. then select all and scale as big as you can. in UV mapping space is VERY critical in order to get the most detail using the smallest possible texture map.

that means you can stack the cirlces on the end caps of your flare, the end caps themselves, and anything else that is identical.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#12]
AHA!!!!!

Thanks

so do you know how to move interactively a 3d object in unwrap 3d

stayne(Posted 2006) [#13]
you mean rotate the model around? if you're in the perspective window just left click and drag it around.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
no i mean in front view for example

stayne(Posted 2006) [#15]
same thing, click and drag and it will move the model around in 2d mode. if you're looking to rotate it around and inspect it you'll need to switch to perspective mode.

in front mode it's easiest to use the middle mousebutton to pan the view around, and you can either scroll the wheel to zoom or while holding SHIFT+LEFT MOUSE, move the mouse forward and backward for a more precise zoom.