transformers update

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/transformers update

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#1]

Another transformer model work in progress! the head texture is from a model i was using as a reference which will be replaced with my own texture so not to upset anyone. This model is based on the cartoon and a very nice quake 2 model i found which was used as a reference. I could not use the quake 2 model even if i wanted to as the scale was all wrong when the model tranformed because the quake 2 model didnt transform. anyway demo soon, so any requests for fav transformer please post here!

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Megatron with his fusion cannon.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#3]
Megatrons already in!

Autobots in game so far are

1. optimus prime
2. hound
3. jazz
4. cliffjumper
5. ironhide
6. sideswipe

decepticons in game so far

1. megatron
2. starscream
3. skywarp
4. thundercracker
5. soundwave
6. lazerbeak
7. rumble
8. shockwave (in intro movie)

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#4]
Megatrons already in!

Well, post some pictures then!

In fact, can you post pictures of all of them.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah we want a group shot. "Autobots roll out!"

Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#6]
yeh the right stuff shot ;)

i love mech stuff

bet you've got a desk full of transformers ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#7]
ok ill take a brake from animating and put together a group shot of all of my models (although most of them have only basic textures at the mo)

As for the toys yes i have a large collection from when i was a kid and i got the takara collector editions (jap reissues) off ebay, they look really nice in the numbered boxes, my girl friends not so mad on them as you can imagine :OP im surprised there hasnt been any G1 transformers games already (other than the ps2 one that only came out in japan) its prob because if i tryed to sell it i would get charged very quickly so it looks like it will be a free download.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#8]
Careful. Even a free game can get you into hot water.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#9]
Agreed, I was reading just the other day about a ChronoTrigger remake that was completely terminated because Square didn`t approve. And that game was freeware too.

Jason.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#10]
may just keep it for me and my friends then ;o) . its silly if they cant release a good game for a licenced product with there money! why shouldnt indie people have a go. in all honisty i will only be using this game to show what i can do to get a job. if anyone wants it ill email it to them or send them a disk, they can stop me from doing that. im not going to stick it on the web in a big way trying to make money.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#11]
why shouldnt indie people have a go.
I believe the reasoning goes that if you make a good game, they can't sell their @#!*ty games, and if you make a @#!*ty game, you're dilluting the value of their trademarks. It's pretty much a lose/lose situation, however you play it.

Anyway you've left out WheelJack and Bumblebee - not that they're my favorites, but they where pretty much in every episode ever.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#12]
I would hate not to have the chance of seeing the game.
I`m sure you`ll been fine. There have been many remakes for example Head Over Heels that have had no problems whatsoever.

In the worst case you can just take it down if asked.

Jason.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#13]
I know they didnt moan once about the transformers mod for quake 2 and thats still going theres also a mod for unreal and Bf2 that uses transformers including names logos and even music. there all still going. even though its basic at the moment its still good fun.

FlameDuck: i know why they shut peoples games down i just think its very petty and the list above is just the models ive done not the final list of characters, im trying to have every character from the first season to start with then try and add some of the robots that joint together to make larger robots like devastator.

Pete

N(Posted 2006) [#14]
Probably be easiest just to contact them instead of speculating, huh?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#15]
Not really - they'll only say "no".

At least this way you can always plead ignorance. :P

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#16]
H@sbro cant do me for anything unless i release something? they cant say yes anyway because activision own the rights to the transformers games now, there making one for the new film. i dont think it will be any good, atari have come the closest to a good game but they miss the point that everyone wants the classic G1 transformers not %*&^ing new ones.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#17]
what im going to do is make the game play well so if i get any problems (which i dont think i will) i will swap out the models and make a different game ill try asking takara in japan after all they designed them and sold them long before hasbro made transformers. i didnt know but the first range of transformers as we know them were released in japan called diaclone in 1974! i didnt know they where that old?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#18]
not happy with my megatron so i started again here he is in his non textured glory!

Pete

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#19]
I think the proportions are slightly off - if you look at your Starscream image (and in fact any comicbook drawing guide) super-hero or super-villain characters always have very small heads compared to their chest and body, with wide shoulders and large hands.

I think you should make his head smaller, chest bigger, arms chunkier, hands larger and waist narrower. Oh, and make the fusion cannon REALLY big, neally as long as Megatron himself is tall, with a barrel large enough to fit his head into.

I prefer the un-textured look, somehow it really suits the subject. Perhaps just a few very small textures, such as the Autobot and Decepticon symbols and perhaps the face. Personally I'd rather see a higher-poly model with almost no textures, it's a really nice retro-look, especially with so many games striving for photo-realism.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#20]
Vorderman: Thanks for the feedback! i agree that the proportions are a bit off its hard to get it right because you make thinks to big and animations a problem. ive been doing basic textures and they do look good ive just been adding logos and slighty lighter area on the edges of the model to get some definition. i will have a play around im using a screen shot from one of the cartoons but its amazing how the characters vary even in the same episode.

thanks again

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#21]

im still working on it but its getting better :O)

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#22]
is that mesh different or is it just the lower camera angle that makes him look meaner?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#23]
no the legs are wider and the heads smaller and the guns a bit bigger and yes i lowered the camera. im going to make the arms more chunky and the chest a bit smaller next.

Pete

Smurfpuss(Posted 2006) [#24]
I must say that im a big fan of Transformers and i really love that you took the char from the 80s series that makes it even cooler to bad the char were not more high poly

but the important part will they transform post some screen shots

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#25]
Smurfpuss: Yeah and if anyone has tryed making models that transform they will understand the hell im experiencing with them.

The models are low (ish) polys because i have quite a few on screen at one time and i dont want low fps as it runs quite nicely at the moment.

im using cinema 4d so if anyone has any tips for export etc it would great as im going though lots of programs just to get one animated model in b3d format.

thanks for your interest!

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#26]
old pick of soundwave and lazerbeak

im working on textures then im ready to show a small demo

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#27]

old animation test running in blitz the hands where redone and the trailer is now there, plus a better texture. but it shows you my models do transform :O)

You may notice that the smoothing is all over the place because of the model being coverted losing the smoothing info, ive fixed that now with some help from jhocking (thanks again to him!)

Pete

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#28]
Looking forward to that demo :)

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#29]
de-mo, de-mo, de-mo...

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#30]
ive got two versions of my game at the moment which completely different control systems and camera veiws. im not sure what version i like best. ones 3rd and ones first person. ill have the demo which will show off the models and animation not sure if ill just make a movie to start with because i havent protected my media files yet :O)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#31]
If the game is gonna be free, why do you need to protect the media files?

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#32]
A video would be good if your not ready to release that demo just yet but I do agree with jhocking if it`s going to be free.

Jason.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#33]
you have a point :O\

I need to work hard to get the combat just right then ill release a vid.

My torque engine game is on hold or never to be finished as my friend who was doing the programming died last week after a hit and run. So im just throwing myself into making my own game which he helped me start and gave me the kick up the arse i needed to make it happen.

Pete

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#34]
Wow... that... wow. Y'know, I have a friend who keeps reminding me to look both ways before crossing the street, because I'm doing the code for his project.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#35]
young kid doing twice the speed limit not paying enough atention to whats in front of him! well with any luck hes got jail ahead of him now. Anyway i dont know why i brought it up its not like you people knew him anyway forget i said it. back to transformers!

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#36]
We're still waiting for the images of all your Transformers together Pete :)

<taps foot impatiently>

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#37]
Vorderman: We're still waiting for STUNT RACE XTREME :)

<taps foot impatiently> :O)

your game looks great by the way!

as for my game all in good my friend (dont have time to finish anything now until monday.)

Pete

Pete

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#38]
Vorderman: We're still waiting for STUNT RACE XTREME :)

<taps foot impatiently> :O)

Yeah, well, erm... it's coming along....lots to do...bad weather...wrong type of snow on the keyboard.....look, just shurrup and post some piccies of the Transformers will you :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#39]
TRANSFORMERS ROCK!

ahm and yes, Stunt Race does as well :)

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#40]
COME ON PETE - IMAGES OF TRANSFORMERS PLEASE!!!!!

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#41]
ok mate hang on im working on it plus im sorting out a bit of web space for it.

nice to know people are looking forward to it

Pete

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#42]
ive been having problems with my main pc so have been stuck using a rubbish laptop so ive been working on some 2d art work for my game while i wait for a new harddrive to turn up. ive been working on this for 2 hours ish its going ok.

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#43]
i can't wait until you release this game. transformers are awesome!