The last 3D art I ever did.. (lots of screenies)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The last 3D art I ever did.. (lots of screenies)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#1]

All of that was done almost 2 years ago. I did it with DOOM-ED and have no 3D art experience at all. Never finished it, all that took me about 3 days!! argh.. Still I got pretty good with the Doom Engine, but never worked on anything else...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#2]
whoa... that's verrry atmospheric stuff... looks great...

--Mike

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#3]
The doom engine is simply better then any other engine I've played with. Of course, the textures and the headless guy I had nothing to do with :)

I can make some pretty decent objects and stuff with doom-ed or quake-ed but CShop I suck royally at. It's just so easy with the doom engine because the lighting is rendered in realtime rather then any "light mapping"

I never made anything good with Unreal-ed either, nor with alien vs preditor, etc. Doom engine pwns them all when it comes to "easy awesomeness"

With doom engine, you can put fog in certain areas, or particles in certain areas, and when you put up light sources you dont have to do any tricky lightmapping because it lights it up perfectly for you in real time.

All these other map editors that people use for DBPro and blitz are 10x harder and it takes 10x longer to make anytthing.

If BlitzMAX does realtime rendering and has a 3D engine similar to DOOM or chronicals of rid@#!* or Quake 4 then I would actually make a good fps level.

Since all our "easy" programming languages are stuck with 3D engines that dont hold a candle to doom then I simply can't make anything that good.

What I'm trying to say is: The doom engine makes making really nice looking levels easy!!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#4]
what about moving platforms... or interiors that have to tilt... can they be made to work in the DOOM engine too?

and what about outdoor scenes... i've seen what looks pretty good in MedalOfHonor... that was done iwth one of those engines, wasn't it...

--Mike

Jono(Posted 2006) [#5]
I don't understand the trend of making games look dark. Isn't really scary, just lowers detail.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#6]
@Jono: Farcry was a beautiful game...

Mike, yeah doom offers all of that :) The quake4 version of the doom engine has bright outdoor areas too.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#7]
All looks quite nice except for the 4th screen where you've got a mind meltingly low res texture.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#8]
The coolest thing about quaked is that you can manipulate a cube to look like jsut about anything. You can split the vertices and move one vertix at a time, etc. If you look at the pillars I made those in quaked and not in a 3d rendering program.

Unreal ed didn't have this feature, instead you would have to make the pillar in a 3D art program and then plug it in as a "prefab" - I think that's the same with cart-shop, no?

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#9]
Matt.

In CShop and 3DWS you can select any vertice and move it and reshape it as you require.

You need to select the object and then go to the Edit menu and choose "Select Vertex" - there you go.

IPete2.