AK Varient

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/AK Varient

Will(Posted 2005) [#1]
I haven't done any modeling in a long time. I want to make a game without textures - its a warsim, not a beauty contest. Im not trying to appeal to people who want fancy graphics. This is a LAN party game for hardcore milsim players. That said, heres the model. What do you think?

[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]

The game is going to have no HUD, shoot from the hip judging the center of your screen or use the iron-sights.

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
That is a very nice gun. Lots of little touches to it that some people would have not bothered with.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#3]
Part of the relism of a war sim is usually it's accuracy in the equipment used?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's looking very good. A game without textures? You probably need to use more triangles then. Then again it sounds real special.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#5]
That's a good point... if he were to use a fair amount of geometry, and simply paint vertex colors, he might have something rather unique looking. Texturing takes bar far more processing power then triangles, especially when you get into multi point filtering per transformed onscreen texel.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#6]
I like it. A nice distribution of triangles and nothing too complex.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#7]
Texturing takes bar far more processing power then triangles

I wouldn't say far more. If I render a textured model, then an untextured model, I can barely notice the frame rate increase. Textures add so much realism to a game, any performance gain you get by removing them is not considerable enough (unless the game is cartoon-ish, where removing textures may give you the look & feel you want).

Anyway, that's a very nice model you made. Good job!

poopla(Posted 2005) [#8]
John J. - Try rendering a hundred models with decently sized texture maps on, and with them off.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#9]
Looks good for starters, but there a few details that well...he just needs to look at one in real life. I thought I had made a perfect AK model once, then I bought a real one and suddenly I figured out how far off some of the things I did were. Biggest areas for improvement I can see right off are the front sight block and the gas tube, as well as the foregrips (upper and lower).

Oh and the iron sights are right on, except the prongs on the front sight block go up a bit higher. I'm also guessing this is a 5.45x39mm version, because of the shape of the mag and the fact that it has a krink style flash hider instead of a classic AK muzzle break.

ICECAP(Posted 2006) [#10]
Sounds like your making a shooter version of a game called Golf? (Golf Questionmark).

I think its made by these guys:
http://www.chroniclogic.com/

Its got no textures but the game is really well done with flat shaded people and wireframe golf carts... Sounds very much like the style your creating.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#11]
I recall seeing some pictures of the weapon models used in a game, might have been Half Life, and they were disrtorted so the model gets scaled upwards towards the front - it looks very odd when you see it side on but from a first-person viewpoint it makes the weapon seem more solid and less stretched and pointy - in your 5th screenshot the reticule seems to be miles away - a distorted model would bring it closer and make the weapon look better proportioned from that point-of-view.

Will(Posted 2006) [#12]
thanks, I'm gonna implement that. I think i'll make the models 1:1 and then have a value in game that scales them up when your holding them in first person - because if you turn the gun straight up reloading or something, its going to be a different part you want scaled up.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#13]
You need a non-unform scale that works down the Z axis (into the screen), so the barrel gets scaled up and the stock down (the same effect as increasing the camerazoom from 1 to 2 or so - the FOV gets smaller and thus distance scaling is reduced).

Don't know how you'd implement that in Blitz though.

Will(Posted 2006) [#14]
Sadly, i am waiting for Max3D :(