low poly truck

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/low poly truck

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#1]
I made this because there's only *?!@ on tv today:

It has 410 Tris.

and here's the texture. As you can see I tried to use the space rationally.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks very nice. Planning on using it for anything or just felt like doing some modelling?

ghost(Posted 2005) [#3]
Very nice model.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nice jfk, what app do you use?

Jason.

Panno(Posted 2005) [#5]
jfk wrote :I made this because there's only *?!@ on tv today:

i mean : if you build a model everyday as *?!@ on tv is you will have 365 modells /year

looks cool ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
hehe Panno, but yesterday was especially painful. I mean, they had some sitcom series with christmas topic. Al Bundy , steve urkel and what not. I mean. hey.

Thanks. This truck will be used in a level I am working on. It's amazing what a truck in a level can do, it all looks so much more real.

It's always a LOT of work to unwrap the UV's. Modelling and Texturing doesn't take so much time, but unwrapping is a hard job, may take several hours even for such a simple model. At least or me.

The Truck was modeled in 3dsmax 2.5, a very old version. but I guess it would be perfectly possible in Milkshape or any other tool that allows to create boxes and then move some of their vertices and to select and remove Triangles.

Then I unwrapped the UVs in Lithunwrap 1.3. The textures where then painted in photoshop, using photomaterial whenever possible. So I had to cut/copy/paste/scale/distort a lot of source material. I guess with the freeware Gimp it would be possible to do the same.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#7]
Cheers jfk, it`s always insightful to find out how people have made their models :)

Jason.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ultimate Unwrap would have cut quite some of those hours ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
looks good!

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#10]
JFK, Looks good, I have to agree with Bob3d here, I bought Ulitimate unwrap about a month ago and it makes the job a LOT easier, I strongly recomend it.

Also if it's just going to be a static model in a level I'd rotate the wheels so they are sat on a flat rather than a point, maybe even squish the tyres at the bottom a bit so it looks like a heavy truck on rubber tyres rather than standing on tip toes.

And speaking of the wheels (if it's static you can free triangles from the bottoms of the tyres) I'd use a few more triangles on them regardless, if you're going to be anywhere near them they're going to look very facetted rather than round. Make them 12 or 16 sided and they'll look so much nicer. And I'd give them a bit more shape so the tyre and hub are geometerty rather than just texture.

Texturewise if you're ever going to see the roof you'll need to do a proper roof texture rather than just using a single panel from your side texture. The roof looks like it should have bars running across it under the canvas. Infact again, because of the canvas I'd spend a few more triangles again and make it sag between the bars. It's only going to be 24 triangles instead of 6 so it's hardly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thanks a lot everybody. Of course, it's about time to purchase UltimateUnwrap.

The wheels rotation was choosen with the idea to let the wheels sink into the ground a few centimeters, so I got an "additional segment". Anyway, I'm not very happy with the 8 facettes cylinders for wheels. 10 would look already much better. Maybe next time.

The canvas box has 5 segments, for the rear wheels shape. That's 44 tris. adding two more segments would fragment the box even more.
<EDIT>
Uh now I see could have used the existing 5 segments for the shape of the roof too :) Well, I still can do that, thanks for the tip.
</EDIT>
The Roof is not perfect, but it had no priority because the player is not likely to see the roof ever, he rather has to crouch and sneak under the truck etc. The model is not perfect in many aspects. When watched from the distance it's looking pretty good. And I really have to keep the polycount low, it's an outdoors level, usually 80% of all models are within the camerarange.

It's also a matter of time. I set myself under pressure to create a list of things quickly, so sometimes I have to "let 5 be even".

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
Nice UV-mappings - although some (texturemap)parts are slightly blurrier than others. Minimalistic model, but nice... retro-ish.

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#13]
very nice!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#14]
Where did you get the photo textures from if i might ask? :o)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#15]
I used to make some pictures when I was in gunatanamo last time.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#16]
Are you going to sell or publish this,or just showcase it? It looks good btw, and I'm an interested customer.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#17]
hey... i like it... it works...

maybe spend a few more polys on the wheels... make em a lil rounder...

... but otherwise, it works.

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#18]
yes, the wheels. Today I'd use 10 segments, not 8. 10 looks already a lot better. 12 would be even better. i mean, hey, I discovered even the oildrums have 12 in my current wip level. However, if you once have finished UV Mapping, usually altering the number of segments of eg. the wheels sucks a lot, so once again I "let 5 be even", incase you know that metapher.

Chad, it's part of my current Level Demo work in progress and it's likely that customers of my FPS game engine will be allowed to use it. So for 29 dollars you'd be able to use this and all other models+textures that are not the property of third parties. So have some patience, I think I'll release the demo soon.