What is the usual price of tailer-made modelling?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/What is the usual price of tailer-made modelling?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

If ,for some reasons, we do not have enough time for modelling and want to ask others to help,
1. what is the usual price for tailer-made model? (e.g. building, people with animation, etc.)
2. If the models are not satisfied, are there any guaranty for adjustment and re-sale?
3. Where could we find these guys?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy
:)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Happy Sammy,

£200 per day is about average for a professional 3d graphics artist who has worked on AAA games.

You can probably find people a lot cheaper, but the quality - price is a ratio you should be prepared for.

IPete2.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#3]
It should also be stressed that there's a helluva difference in design and development time between buildings, and people with animation.
I would expect to be quoted two completely different rates.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
You just need to look around the net, the forums, etc. and you'll see who's offering work and/or has existing portfolios. People often have a link in their sig (not just on this forum) that leads to their webpage where you can see if they are selling 3d stuff.

I can tell you an animated character with exclusive rights, i would charge anything from $200 for a lowres RTS model to $2000 for a top top quality Quake 4 level of detail, all depending on the detail and complexity of the model and the number and complexity of animations. And that is (i beleive) considered cheap. It varies greatly. Buildings are usually much cheaper, but also depends on what exactly you need.

I'm currently in the process of building a portfolio tho, and i'm NOT actively searching for "work". If i do however, i usually do it at 80% of the best price-quality ratio you'd find on the net. So it's all really subjective, the bottom line is you should always say how much you're willing to pay for a certain quality of work and give examples of the quality, then see how many offers you get or be told you're insane.

Noodle Cower also does some really awesome work from time to time.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#5]
I usually end up quoting between 20-500 dollars. The pricing depends on the kind of object, whether it consists of mostly primitive, what the texturing time might be, if it's static or animated, etc. The cheapest things would be simple things like books, a baseball, bowling pins, etc. The worst case scenario's are creature, people, with animations ... and the very highest priced tend to not have any concept art associated with them (meaning i would have to draw out the references myself).

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yea i find concept art the hardest at the moment, but probably just because i dont have that much experience, as i was mostly recreating stuff so far. It helps if the client has an exact idea of what is required.

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
1. what is the usual price for tailer-made model? (e.g. building, people with animation, etc.)
2. If the models are not satisfied, are there any guaranty for adjustment and re-sale?
3. Where could we find these guys?

1. I have found the price range of 60-150 for organic (rigged and textured), and 20-120 for arcitectual.
2. None, unless you cover that in the contract (usually you sign a contract with the artist over the needed assets). I like to have a clause that gives me leway for miscommunications to the artist (artist didnt understand), and leway to the artist for design changes on my part (IE "dont like that there, can you change it slightly to here?")
3. Indie forums, google searches, here.

It's good to note, that unless your doing over a few hundred dollars in jobs with the artist that there is a good chance that the artist might loose interest.

It's not really their fault though. They have their own lives to deal with, and "hobby money" doesnt always constitue their full dedication to completion.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#8]
Dark half, do you mean exclusive rights price ranges or nonexclusive? I think he's talking about exclusive.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#9]
there were a ;ot of discussions on this about professional work for indies on Garage Games. Going rate is roughtly $40 per hour and up to about $2,000 -$3000 per character if you want it done properly to a schedule and expect complete control from cocept to finished product..

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#10]
Here's a Indie Games comference blog summarizinf day 3 of tje boot camp. Turns into a discusion about Game Art pricing.

More for professsional indies than amatures and hobbyist bedroom coders.

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/29221/9013

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yep, thats about right Evak. I'm making a character from scratch right now (but i have concept art to go on) and it's insanely different from what i've done before. It is definitely 10 times as hard as architecture, especially the animating!! It's also important for the artist to know exactly the format that the output is in, and preferably to have the engine at hand for testing/refinements.

Good post Evak.