Some Trees

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Some Trees

Lui(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi I made some trees in Milkshape but iīm not happy with them, but i donīt want to use these softwares for treegenerating. Can you give me some tips to make them better.
Iīm sorry Iīm a newbe and donīt know how to post the pictures of the trees can you show me how?

edit: pictures are below

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hiya, yes sure, put the web address of the pictures like so...

www.smartscreenuk.com/imagename.jpg

or add in the http bit and the picture will show in the forum I think. I always forget how to do this, it is in the forum instructions - er somewhere. Lol!

Actually details can be found here: http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
All forum tags are here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

puki(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ah, but does he know how to host them?

I use - Image Shack
http://www.imageshack.us/

Use the browse button to find your piccy and press that 'Host it!' button.

Then just make sure you post the right link in here - else we come round your house and speak to your parents.

Lui(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanx here are the pics:

The first...
removed

and the second...
removed

Can you give some tipps to make them look better?

Lui(Posted 2005) [#6]
edit: pictures are further down...

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#7]
These looks ok, I like the second one most. Nice leaf textures on that. Alternatively you can use a free tree library I released a week ago:
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=54062
It has an editor too, so it is easy to create trees :-)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#8]
The second one looks great - the first one looks like the branches are upside down or needs some leaves going upwards as well. Much better than I could do anyway !

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#9]
I like the frist one more. For a fir tree the branches look ok to me, but the trunk is too big. Both trees seem to be lit fullbright, so it's hard to see their shape from the still pictures.
The second tree lacks of a natural growing structure. Branches seem to grow in every direction. But in nature they try to align their leaves to the sunlight as much as possible, depending on their weight, wind and weather etc.

This unnatural alignement of branches and leaves is a common problem of many designs, and even tree creators. People simply glue some branches here and there, ignoring the photosynthesis.

Have a look at Coppercicles "Simple Tree Creator" (see thread in content creation tools forum). If you edit one line of the code (as described in the thread) it will create pretty nice trees.
The thread is here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35265

If you don't have the usserlib of halos shader lib (like me) then you can rem those 3 lines tha are asking for some shader function calls (the ones that create an error when you try to start the source).

Then edit the line
sc#=(((h)/3))+1
to
sc#=maxsize - (((h)/3))+1

This creator is capable of creating extrem dense trees with very low polycount. A nice fir tree may have 50 Triangles only.

puki(Posted 2005) [#10]
Good stuff there - I like both trees - better than I could do.

Lui(Posted 2007) [#11]
so i made some new trees one of them is this one:
[img ]

i think its looking much better than the old ones^^

modeled and uv-mapped with ppModeler(freeware),
textured and lighted with gile[s]

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#12]
Lui,

Nice work.

IPete2.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#13]
yeah nice! looks good

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#14]
more than 500 is a lot. Look at these:

(pic removed)

they have no more than 50 Tris each. Currently the textures are masked BMPs, when using DDS they will look even much better. They're made with the tree creator I mentioned before, that is open source, sou you can modify it and finally create such a tree in a few milliseconds.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#15]
so i made some new trees one of them is this one:
Um, yeah, they look OK, I guess but, did they really take you a whole year to make?! :p

Lui(Posted 2007) [#16]
no they didnīt took a whole year to make^^ just about an hour...
but a year of experience in modeling for making this

@jfk EO-11110
i already notized that there are these treegenerators(even 1 year ago^^),and its good but the trees i tried to make arenīt looking like i want them, and iīm not such a good programmer yet to modify the treecreator to do what i want....^^
you are right there are too many Tris...

edit: i tryed to download the tree creator again but when i try to unzip the folder is says, that the folder is demaged and canīt be opened...

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#17]
That's a hell of a good looking tree. Not too photographic, has a nice artsy quality about it. It would look great in a cartoon-style 3d adventure game. ( Go on! Make one! )

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#18]
jfk has a download on his site give me a sec to find the link

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#19]
This zipfile should work:
http://www.melog.ch/dl/simple_tree_creator_2007.zip
Just tested it. It contains the source, not the exe.

Your tree is very nice, especially the texture and also the wooden parts. What I personally don't like is the random orientation of the limbs. Some point upwards, some to the side and some to the ground.

As I already said, in nature limbs are all more or less oriented towards the sun. Limbs have individual shapes, of course, but basicly they all try to get as much sunlight as possible. This is a design flaw that I have seen in many games, even in top titles.

But of course maybe you're not trying to achieve realism. There will always be freedom of art.

Lui(Posted 2007) [#20]
ok thx for the link
you are right the leaves should all be oriented towards the sun
I see i still got to learn alot...
It should look realistc but its very hard do do this
so many thx for the right biolocical correction..
ps: hereīs a screeny of the level i want them to use with(the tree isnīt fixed yet):

i know thereīs still alot to do (there got to be much more and differend trees and plants...)

@jfk: did you study biologie or something in this direction?

edit: where do i get "dlls\blitzui.bb" or where could i find it? Its needet for tree creator and isnt in the folder
sry i know iīm irritating...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#21]
You're right, the zipfile in the toolbox is broken and my zipfile didn't contain the BLitzUI include files. My fault sorry.

I'll upload a version soon, revisit the toolbox entry tomorrow or so.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#22]
Ok, here it is:
http://www.melog.ch/dl/simple_tree_creator_2007.zip

this should contain everything including exe and source.

Lui(Posted 2007) [#23]
Many thanks for this
I think iīll use this prog for the trees especially for the firs they are lookinī very good

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#24]
It was a great time with many open source projects (rant) ;)

Tho, the trees it generates are not perfect. Well the source is there to be modified.

BTW feel free to add/publish textures and/or limb meshes. Currently the limb mesh is a simple rhomb made of 2 tris. A rhomb made of 4 tris could be bended.

Additionally, it lacks of some trunk prefabs other than the simple cone that is currently used.

Lui(Posted 2007) [#25]
Good idea i`ll see what i can do :)

Well is would take some time till i understand the code completly to modify it ;-P

puki(Posted 2007) [#26]
Where did you get that fern from?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#27]
Maybe it's a good chance to become familar with the BitzUI. I had to add two buttons too, some time ago (trunk diameter and facettes). Not a big deal. Replacing the limb mesh desn't require to code at all, just use a limb mesh that uses the same size and origin point.

Puki - got no fern? Want some? Like this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=1362&gallery=&page=8

buy the csp engine license, the texture/mesh is part of the distribution :P

puki(Posted 2007) [#28]
Ah, I got that one.

Lui(Posted 2007) [#29]
thanks for the tip jfk thats a good idea

@ puki:I modeld it with ppmodeler and ad the texture in gile(s)(like i made the tree)
for the texture i used gimp and photoshop to draw the stucture and the color on it and then used a pic from a fern i made last sommer , to ad the contours(took about half an hour)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#30]
My fern texture (BTW) is made from a photo I tool last summer too. I used a black towel, put it under a single fern leaf, then made the photo. Then I used to fill the background black using the selection tools of photoshop. Today I'd use transparency and DDS DXT3 texture export instead.
EDIT
Note to myself: don't answer questions that none used to ask.
:o)

Lui(Posted 2007) [#31]
the crap is i canīt go on with texturing now, cause i donīt got enough pictures i can use,
because there arenīt any trees outside with green leaves...
and iīll NEVER use picutres i didnīt made myself :P

EDIT:
So time to begin to read the BlitzUi for treecreator ;-)
EDIT2:
Uhhh thats alot to read...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#32]
I think every season is great for making nature textures. I especialy wanted to make fir with snow textures this winter, but so far, due to global warming or so, we ain't got no snow around here. anyhow, those leafless fall trees are looking great as well. How about a 365 days weather engine that reads the system date and displays the right season?

Lui(Posted 2007) [#33]
That could be possible...
I think this isnīt to difficult you just need a basic layer (the branch without leafs etc) and some other textures (snow, leafs, leafs in the autumn,etc) and then make it multitextured and settin an alpha-channel for each... (e.g the alpha channel for leafs in the winter is 0.0 and in the summer 1.0 etc)