New racing game

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New racing game

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey guys and gals :D
I have just started to work on a new racing game and this is what i have so far. I have the steering in there, sound effects music and a rear mirror view. Next i need to get some cars modelled. I'm going for a racing game with cross a between Rage Racer and F-zero X.
Keep in mind, this is only the very early stages for testing, these graphics do not represent the final images for the game :)

Screenshots so far:

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
That's looking good so far. But take care not to add too much of lametta before the core is working nicely. I know, sometimes you need music to get some ideas on how this should feel etc, but then you should be able to bypass music , intro and things for the sake of faster development of things like physics etc. Car racing stuff became a pretty hard matter since NFS, Gotham and all the shiny stuff. Anyway, I wish you good luck with this!

If you want to save some time, there are many good car models around, some of then on a free royalty free base. Or maybe have a look at the Darkmatter 1 CD, it contains some pretty good cars too.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks jfk :D
You're right :) I certainly will take care with the coding of this one. I have just threw things together for the moment, just to get a feel for what the game may look like.
Thanks for you comments :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
Got potential. Good luck with it. Post a demo when it's playable.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Cheers Alien :)
I have added a prototype craft for demonstration purposes. Agin, these images do not represent the final product.

This particular ship was borrowed from the website of the very generous Psionic :D (Cheers man)

Screenshot:

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#6]
Okey dokey, here is a zipped demo of where it's upto but i must stress that it is at it's very very early stages, so don't expect too much yet :p

Racing game demo (9.80MB)

Enjoy :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
No exe and I don't have B3D, sorry!

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hmmm, sorry about that. i'll redo the zip :D

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ok, i have re-zipped this, so it now has an exe :D Enjoy!!

Racing game demo (9.80MB)

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#10]
Damn, sorry :p I zipped the same one :)
It should be fixed now :D

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#11]
well, I guess I cant comment much as it's only a small early test, but it's looking good at this stage
do you plan on keeping that vehicle/circuit relation? the vehicle looks tinyand the track huge. It's the only thing I wanted to ask...
and I like the night mode too x) lol

will have to keep an eye on how this game progresses... I loved F-Zero ;)

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#12]
:) You will be happy to know that i do NOT plan on keeping the current circuit/vehicle relation, as i only have these in the demo soley for testing purposes, to get some sort of structure together. I will be doing brand spanking new graphics for this game whilst still retaining that F-Zero look ;-)

The levels will take on a huge facelift compared to the prototype graphics, and will have elevations, jumps, powerups and plenty of other goodies. I aim to give the levels a sense of spaciousness as well as fast paced speed, like that in F-Zero GX.

For those who don't (but should) know what F-Zero GX is, here is a screenshot :D

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#13]
You should use AlignToVector on the Collision status to get the ship to contour the track. Maybe even use a small gforce variable to roll the ship at higher speeds.