Siege Tower

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Siege Tower

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was just putting together a siege tower for a demo reel to send off to game companies, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions here. It's 3,000 polys, and has normal and specular mapping. I've almost finished the color map texturing (hence the grey areas) Thanks for looking :D

Here's a detail of it.

And a back shot.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#2]
Try to get lots of subtle damage into it -

- small chips in the edges of square sections really help to break up the flat look of the model - those large wooden bits the wheels are held into - if you chipped the corners off and dented the edges it would suddenly look much better.

- bend a few of the front armour plates, have one wheel at a slightly wonky angle, have some of the logs with bends in and give their bark a bit of shape away from just being a cylinder.

- turn the access ramp planks to slightly different angles, and make a crack in one and a bend in another.

- add some grime to the access ramp - people charging across it would leave a muddy trail.

- finally, perhaps have a few arrows sticking out of it, or the odd spear, and put a crest on one of the armour plates, or some carefully coloured shields hanging from it.

It's real world damage and irregular detail that makes models look first class - anything to hide the regular shape of polygons.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#3]
I agree with Voderman in what he said, but still, it's looking great. With those imperfections added it will look even better ;) great work!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
According to my moddeling experiance, I think 3000 polys is too much for structure like this one..appart from that I think its pretty well done..

skn3(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeah I agree. It looks great so far, but it also looks like the kind of model alot of people could make using basic primitives to construct. What will set your model aside, a mark above the rest, will be the imperfections. The small details and descrepencies that make this beast look like its been in a war.

So do what vorderman has said, and maybe a few of these suggestions:

- Slightly larger wheels. They look as if the thing wouldn't be able to siege anything.

- Replace the drawbridge "ropes" with chains. A solid cylinder looks wrong.

- The "rope" ends dont connect to anything on the drawbridge. This is noticable. Very noticable.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#6]
Its nice..

I would stagger the decking much the same as you have the logs.

Dont make them loot too factory made if you follow me. have some of them a little off set from the other's

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#7]
Imperfections noted, and will be in the works (several forums made the suggestions). Chains added to the list of things to do, and mud/scratches/beating will be added, lol.

3K polys is the target for the next gen console development ;) It's way too much for Blitz and some current engines, but it's something recommended to me by one of the programmers from an xbox 360/ps3 aimed game.

Thank you all :D and hope to be able to post updates today or tomorrow.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#8]
Neat! How long does something like that take?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looking great!

P.S. Tyler, is that your real surname? It's fantastic - I might have to do a Deed Poll and nick it as it does describe my weekends rather well! :P

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#10]
Lol :D I'm irish (you'd never guess) So, Drinkard is indeed my surname.

@Grey Alien - It's taken 8 working hours so far. I guess it'll take about 4 more to finish it up, and if I decide to take it into ZBrush for a proper normal map, it could end up being about 4 more.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
wow! I thought it must have taken a while.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#12]
Finished up the texturing on it ... it's more of less done, but I may want to add proper normal mapping through ZBrush.