How do you cover the bandwidth cost of coding?

Archives Forums/General Discussion/How do you cover the bandwidth cost of coding?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#1]
EDIT: Ooops - mods please move to General I had a dyslexic moment...

I was just looking through the web stats on my team's game site and I got to wondering how on Earth indi developers pay for all that bandwidth?

I know how my team manages because we dont pay a penny, but I know this is not a deal open to most people and I remember back in the days when my team did pay for bandwidth it was a huge issue for us and our site was frequently going down.

How do you guys manage to keep your sites running? Is everyone on a work/college server, considering it a necessary business expense? Or actively avoiding publicity to save on costs?

aCiD2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Work part time? Thats what I do... granted im only 16 and not making big indy projects though

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't have bandwidth costs.. no transfer limit.
Still... I really haven't got anything to show on the site.. hehe

oh.. and I work full time..

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
I rent mine for £15 a year.

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#5]
Perhaps there should be a sticky thread that lists good good web hosts, i need one for my game that is:

a, cheap/free
b, has php
c, has mySQL

but i am a bit in the dark as to what is a good deal.

Cheers
Charlie

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
My team use www.vapourhost.com who are very reliable and very cheap - but it's not free hosting. My site hasn't really had a new game released in years but it still puts out over 1gb of bandwidth out every day, which at regular hosting rates would be very expensive. I'm suprised this isn't a problem for more developers, in that standard hosting deals just dont work for games sites.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
Banshee,

I pay <$10 a month for 2 GB of web space and 30GB data transfer @ www.softcomca.com

2 GB Disk Space
30 GB Data Transfer
50 POP3 Email Accounts
Web Album
PHP and Perl
SPAM Filtering
Anti-Virus Protection
MS FrontPage Extensions
MS Active Server pages
FREE Linux Account
and more...

IPete2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#8]
www.onsmart.com - $9.50 a month,Windows or Linux hosting...

1000 MB Storage Space
You can host over a hundred thousand typical web pages with our generous 1000 MB disc space, there's plenty of room to grow!

50 GB Data Transfer
You got it with 50 GB of blazing-fast data transfer.

Park up to 5 Domains
Have you registered additional domain names but aren't ready for hosting yet? Park your domains for free with us! Visitors seeking your domain names will redirect to your site.

Guarantees
Same Day Activation
30-day Money Back Guarantee
Price Freeze Guarantee
99.9% Uptime Guarantee

Technical Support & Reliability
24x7 Support via Email, Chat, and Toll-free Phone
Comprehensive Documentation and Knowledge Base
Redundant Connections
24x7 Network Monitoring
99.9% Uptime Guarantee
Weekly Full & Daily Incremental Data Backups
Uninterruptible Power with UPS Backup

Server Specifications
Dual Xeon Servers
Redundant Disk Storage
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
Microsoft Internet Information Server 6.0

Site Administration
Plesk 6.5 Control Panel
Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Extensions
50 FTP Accounts
Web-based File Management
Customizable Error Pages
Password Protected Directories
Access to Raw Log Files
Webalizer Site Statistics

Email Features
100 Email Accounts
POP3, SMTP Access
Unlimited Email Forwarding
Unlimited Email Autoresponders
Web-Based Email Access
Catch-All Default Email Account
5 Mailing Lists
Virus Protection
Domain Features
25 Sub-Domains
MX Record Modifications

Development Features
5 MySQL Databases
Web-based MySQL Management
Microsoft Access 2000
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Active Server Pages 3.0 (Classic ASP)
ASP.NET
Personal CGI-Bin Access
Perl 5.6, Python, C, C++...
PHP 4 with Zend Optimizer
Java 2 Standard Edition 1.4
Server Side Includes (SSI)
Over 20+ Pre-Installed ASP/.NET Components
WAP, WML
Tasks Scheduler
Real Audio & Video Streaming via HTTP

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#9]
I know how my team manages because we dont pay a penny, but I know this is not a deal open to most people and I remember back in the days when my team did pay for bandwidth it was a huge issue for us and our site was frequently going down.

I have my site hosted with Godaddy.com -- they recently increased their economy plan to a whopping 5GB storage space, with 250GB/month bandwidth allowance. (also allows PHP or ASP, frontpage, 10 MySQL databases, email, webmail, statistics, and some basic web-based administrative tools... all for a paltry $3.95 a month.

Normally I would have avoided a place with those kind of specs and prices like the plague because it sounds too good to be true, but they kind of sprung it on me recently when they increased their bandwith, storage space & # of databases all by ten-fold for the same price...

I've used them for the past year or so, and never noticed any downtime or slow download speeds
(I won't be using 5GB of space anytime soon, but it's nice to have the ability to store an entire DVD worth of data off-site for backup purposes as well).

Rodan(Posted 2005) [#10]
Lunarpages.com

7.95/Month for: Free domain name for life, up to 3000 mb storage, AND 400 gb of bandwidth per month. I think that's probably the best deal you can get on the net since lunarpages has awesome customer service and is very fast.

Check it out!

cermit(Posted 2005) [#11]
https://www.b-one.net/ just select english language.

Jono(Posted 2005) [#12]
I think Boiled Sweets was advertising, using words like 'expanding' and 'blazing'. :P

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
My website runs off my computer.

Thats why if two people download, you can wait till Xmas 2007 for the release.

it's okay though- You'll still have it before [edited out comment]

Amon(Posted 2005) [#14]
http://www.powweb.com

5gb webspace
All the bells and whistles
300GB Monthly Bandwidth

$7.70 per month.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#15]
http://www.trwebdesign.co.uk/hosting.htm

I use package 4, and it goes a long way..

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
Sell stuff :D

I just upgraded to PowerVPS to handle the additional capacity, they offer some really nice stuff.

VP(Posted 2005) [#17]
Got free webspace with my ISP. No PHP though, so I pay them an extra £4.69 a month for some really excellent hosting, see http://www.stefanholmes.com/ for an example.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#18]
Bandwidth is not that expensive. I pay $100 a year ... and that easily covers about 52,000 downloads.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#19]
Useful thread.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#20]
Jono,

I merely pasted my providers blurb.

I do not work for them or want to.

Nor do they pay me in any shape or form or give me anything for passing this information on.

Hell I was just answering the question.

Shoot me but I am innocent of all crimes...

RexRhino(Posted 2005) [#21]
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend servstra.com ... they only do dedicated servers: A low end server cost about $100 a month, but if you need a dedicated server, and can't afford rackspace.com, it is a great host!

Wings(Posted 2005) [#22]
I got freebandwith for 30$ month.
Im hosting a game there not a server !

N(Posted 2005) [#23]
I got freebandwith for 30$ (INSERT: per) month.

Doesn't exactly say 'free' to me...

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#24]
I was just looking through the web stats on my team's game site and I got to wondering how on Earth indi developers pay for all that bandwidth?
Here in the USA, if you are running a business, hosting and bandwidth would be a legitimate "business expense" and therefore tax-deductible.

However, bandwidth is extremely cheap, and most professional hosting services run by legitimate companies offer at least 100GB of bandwidth per month for $9.99 (USD). Some companies offer a lot more bandwidth for the same price range.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#25]
I have 20euros for year, 1GB size and unlimited bandwidth etc. (It includes domain so its basicly free). And this is not one of those yankee scam sites you usually see. Have been using it for about 2 years no probs so far.. It's for Finnish/Estonian customers only though.

*(Posted 2005) [#26]
www.freenetname.co.uk is a good one to go for they offer free domain hosting they only as is that you use them as your ISP :D

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#27]
Bandwidth has certainly come down in price since I last paid for it, which is nice to know as it was horrible before. I remember paying £30 a month (~$50-55) and the site would opt out of existence for extended periods all the same.