Hey, it's.. a house?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Hey, it's.. a house?

N(Posted 2005) [#1]
Yep.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#2]
Man, I wish I was making an RPG!

Noel, you any good at biped modelling and animation? Are you as good as Dogz? http://jose.indiepath.com/

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
As far as human modelling goes, yeah, I can do it pretty easily. I can animate but not as good as dogzer, and I just don't like it much -- real pain in the arse 'cause you have to rig, test, re-rig, test again, so on and so forth. Just not something I like to do.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
Why do you post unfinished work Noel? It's better if you post finished stuff so we can comment about everything at once.

The wood is too colourful, i've never seen that type of wood on a house, and even if it did exist it looks so so very new, like it was built a few days ago and no rain or anything affected it at all. Desaturate (or remove red channel a little), decrease brightness just a little, add gentle darker patches to make it diversified (and not like polished wood used by a caprenter), and its tops.

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
I post unfinished work so I can get critique along the way. It beats spending time to think of something as finished and then end up changing it.

I agree about the wood, definitely right there.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks Noel, Dogz is pretty damn cool and very efficient BUT very busy.

N(Posted 2005) [#7]

Tried to make the wood look more aged. Removed the beams in the alcove as they are not structurally neccessary as far as I could find.

Top thumbnail are static meshes in use, bottom thumbnail are brushes.

Roof still has a ways to go before it's done, as I still need to add stray tufts and what-not that stick out of it.

Also, when this is all done the wood mesh (all of the static meshes for the siding and what-not on the house are the 'wood mesh') is going to be thrown back into a model editor for optimization (it's pretty poly-heavy right now; with instancing and proper occlusion it could be heavily reduced but I'm still going to take precautions) -- basic cleanup, really.

Also, I realize the front where the roof meets the plaster/etc. is extremely bare. Just haven't done anything with it yet.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#8]
The updated wood looks great, but I do think that the two wodden support beams made the overall shape of the house look better.

Without those beams the house looks 'wrong' for the era it's supposedly from.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yea, the beams made it look a little more intresting, without them it looks too english. Like something you could crawl under and hang onto. Stick a round window with slightly coloured glass where the empty underroofing is now. Add a chimney, show us the door, some windows should be open.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#10]
You might find some great reference material here: http://www.wealddown.co.uk/weald.htm

It's a massive (50 acre) museum with dozens of reconstructions of medieval buildings, i remember visiting there as a kid :D

looking at this photo:
Noels removal of the support beams seems historically accurate

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
I love the fact the beams are 3D and not just a 2D texture.

Doggie(Posted 2005) [#12]
For everyone's good

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Careful Doggie, posting pictures of kittens is a bannable offence... so I hear. :P

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#14]
Jams, but he isnt making such a house. The roof and everything is distinctly different. Besides, such types of houses are boring, Noel's is better. The upper floor is sticking out far more than in the english houses, so it does look like it needs a beam or two.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#15]
hey... that looks kinda cool...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#16]
Noodle,

I read your footer and I have to agree with some of it - although I wasn't really aware of why you were banned.

Only knowing half the arguement doesn't put me in a good position to make comment, so I am a little retiscent to reply.

BUT I do think the following:

If you were banned for posting a picture of a kitten then that seems like harsh moderation to me.

As for the other aspects of your post, I think we are all entitled to our opinions. This community is supposed to be about sharing those opinions and knowledge and abilities so we all learn and grow from the expeience of using Blitz products.

I think in the main, that is achieved, there are many people here who do accept that 'responsibility'. There are a few who have nothing else better to do with their lives than irritate others, and instead of coding, they sit at home typing nonsense into these forums. I say let them waste their time - avoid threads where they post (unless its really interesting) and let's all get on with doing what we came here for.

Noodle, you are a talented youngster, your website shows great creative abilities, indeed the house you are currnetly showing is very good indeed. You should be proud of it and your capabilities. Continue forward in that direction and I think you will do very well - but don't let negativity begin to reign in your head - ignore the 'puddings' and hang out with the cream! :)

IPete2.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#17]
"Jams, but he isnt making such a house. The roof and everything is distinctly different.

Granted, it *is* distinctly different, but it is from the same era (late 15th, early 16th century). There was actually a lot of variation in the structures of the time, generally the wealthier people could afford nicer homes with roof tiles and so forth...

For example, this building:

And this building:

Are from the same period in history.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#18]
Yea, there is lots of variation so he can and should put the beams back in! I've been into houses as well recently (saw my ancient round house?) and i've had an extensive look at the archietcture and so i'm aware of what existed in that era. Only that his house has the external wall supports of an english house, yet not the same gradual stepping in extension of floor areas, but a single big one, so a support beam is in place because it doesnt QUITE look like an english house at all and esp. with the roof and the very odd fantasylike sloping (of the roof).

big10p(Posted 2005) [#19]
generally the wealthier people could afford nicer homes with roof tiles and so forth...
Funny how times change: it's now far more expensive to have a thatched roof. :)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#20]
No it isnt more expensive. I'll lay it for you if you want. It is if you want it to isolate you from the elements at the level that modern technology does, and still be able to condition the air.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#21]
No it isnt more expensive.
Then I think yours and my idea of a properly thatched roof differ somewhat, Lenn.

It is if you want it to isolate you from the elements at the level that modern technology does, and still be able to condition the air.
Er, yeah, that would be good. :)

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#22]
looking good noel.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#23]
Bitchin as always.