my first gun(WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/my first gun(WIP)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#1]
as I have some spare time at the moment I thought I might use it to learn how to create 3d modles. And here is my first attempt to create a gun(m1 garand). Its not finshed yet and I still need todo a little be of work on the smoothing groups, but I think it looks kool :)

Screenies:

Any response will do :P

Btw Its made up of 450 Poly's so far...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
For your first attempt at a model, never mind a gun, it's excellent. Sorry i can't offer further suggestions, as 1. i ain't a good modeller, and 2. i don't know my guns :D

Looks good tho!

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Lookin very good Diablo :D
Keep up the good work!

Jams(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah not a bad effort, if it was me i would probably look at my smoothing groups a bit....

puki(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looks good to me

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thx for the comments guys.

For your first attempt at a model, never mind a gun, it's excellent

Well, I did get and E in ALevel art :P (that was a waste of time)

Done more, look -

I might add a scope, just cause it looks kool.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#7]
Done, added the scope i think it looks better now.

Screenies:

Now all thats left is to textureize it. But I think I might start a new modle before because... becuase I want to.

Comments welcome!!!

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#8]
All i can say is, keep up the good work :D
It's looking really good!
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to model and how many polys is it?
Again, great work diablo! :D

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#9]
so far 1 day with an extra one to find ref material. 1130 polys but I think I could find some to get rid of.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks great. I'd rather use a Moisin Nagant or a Mauser G98 :P Maybe the wood texture should look a bit more shiny, some nice wood structure, eg. like:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/texture/wood/index1.html

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#11]
thats a kool site jfk, I just cut paste the wood from a ref image and used that. thx

EDIT: KOOOOL i just found a really kool site if you want some ref images for WW weapons: Modelguns

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#12]
My Second Gun ||
\/
Its a Thompson M1A1. All ref images come from here: Modelguns

Screenies:

Comments please :D.

Note its not Textureized yet I just face maped a wood texture onto the wooden bits to make out all the parts.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#13]
They're quite nice, Diablo

Although I'm so tired of seeing these weapons in WWII FPS's... x)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#14]
:D. This stems from me playing et too much. And the fact they are so easy to make.

evens so, if you have any good ref sites for moden guns or any of sites i can get ref pics from please post'em. l8ers

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#15]
isn't that a so socalled greasegun? They also have drum magazines and a front grip, right? The mafia type gun in the 20ies.

Tachyon(Posted 2005) [#16]
Diablo,

I was enjoying your worklogs on the Avernum-style RPG you've been working on. Any updates there?

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#17]
Mainly i've been thinking about getting a mult layered map working. Basically so i can hoperfuly have hills n stuff... but it doesn't work that well at the moment so I might just keep it singled layered for the mo. Also i'm w8ing to get the MaxGUI (tho I'll use mine for in game stuff) so I can make a simple editor and play around with how i'm going to handle scripts and such like. I was w8 for the nut sqirle thing but it hasn't been up dated yet(i dont think) so I might just stick with stanard LUA but I dont really like the way its done - even tho I havent really looked at it too much. I will be updating the worklog soon but I'm busy with some life stuff (its tough living in UK) but I might be able to update it in a week or so (mabey next weekend or somthing (moday mabey)).

cya.

EDIT: also I only just reinstalled windows and forgot to keep my blitz3D install so I have been going mad trying to find an install someware.