Monster Truck 2

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Monster Truck 2

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Okay, this is my new model of a low poly monster truck. I didn't like the way i put the texture together on the other one (random pics off internet) so i made my own textures instead. I also made the wheels bigger. I hope i got it right this time :D
Feedback anyone?

Thanks

DaY(Posted 2005) [#2]
looks cool :) better than anything i could do but im a coder not a modler :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#3]
This is eye of the beholder stuff, personally I like to go for more realism, however, if you don't care that it's got no suspension and cannot steer then I suppose it's fine. I would however go for a few hundred more triangles though. You've got more triangles in one wheel than in the enitre body of the car which to me seems a little odd.

Only after looking at this thread did I look at monster trucks at all really, and it seems that your truck is a truck on stilts whereas actual monster trucks don't really do that.

The tread on the wheels reverses at the top, I assume this also happens at the bottom of the wheel too.

The shape of the vehicle is a little strange too, I'm assuming you've not used any reference material to come up with the design. I would strongly recomend finding reference material and working out what the side view outline of a monster truck looks like, likewise the front and top.

Look at the detail of how they are put together and how they work. Where all the drive shafts are etc, how the suspension hangs together.

That all said, if you're going for a non-steering monster postman pat van truck then you've gone a great job.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#4]
I have to confess. I thought if i paid more attention to detail, that i would end up with far to many polys for a low poly model. I didn't realize that low poly modeling was this difficult :D
I'll keep trying

Thanks

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
I would aim for around 1000 triangles (500 polygons) for low poly model.

Although I'm hardly an expert here, this is a model I did ages ago of my car, it's just under 800 triangles:

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#6]
Do you have a wire frame screenshot of this Rob, so that i can see more clearly the arrangement of your polygons and such :)

Thanks

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks very much Rob :D

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looks like Rob there had a high poly model and optimised it or something. It isnt symmetrical :) which happens often. But an easy way to avoid it (which you probably already know) is to make only half a car and then mirror it after you're done.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks like Rob there had a high poly model and optimised it or something. It isnt symmetrical :) which happens often. But an easy way to avoid it (which you probably already know) is to make only half a car and then mirror it after you're done.
Lenn, if you look closely you'll see it IS only half a car!

As you say I created one half and mirrored it, I've only shown one half so the wire frame doesn't get confused with the stuff behind.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#11]

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#12]
LoL !!

I only looked at the front, didnt really notice the windshield. Haha...

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#13]
Better, but based on every picture I've seen of a monster truck, the tyres still need to be bigger.

Just look at a picture of a monster truck, and do that.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#14]
heres an old shot of my new modified mini. I just happened to have one with wireframes.

the body is under 700polys but the wheels probably have more than your truck. think they ended up being about 160 each or something.

A lot depends on what look you want, the trick is to get enough polys with their edges turned to get as smooth a lighting across the surface to suggest the shape.

Here's the latest version of the car in game. I added a few extra polys in the end to get a raised hood that catches the light and makes the car more interesting to look at. As well as adding a few other details.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#15]
Cool looking mini Evak - could do with textured headlights though.

Could you make the glass a little bit see-through and put a silhouette driver inside?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
Someody's probably already said this but it's WAY to square, but it has potential!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#17]
yeah, we actually changed the car since then, and played around with the alpha windows, it does on occasion have z sorting issues as the ground is masked with alpha and the fence is alpha too.

When I did the Mini it was particularly bad, but recently tried again with the new car, and only the fence had occasional sorting issues.

It was partly to keep the surface count down too, but just this weekend cygnus got a 2x performance gain in the physics through some trick or other so I'm hoping we can add a little more detail.

I'm going to see how adding skidmarks to the lightmap around the racing line on the track helps too. If only Mark would get DXTC texture compression in there, we would have a lot more room to play in. Currently the game runs quite well on a 1ghz machine with a 32mb vid card. But it's mighty close to the 32mb limit.

New cars are C Class SPEC race cars. Anyway, thats enough of my game for now :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#18]
Indeed.

If you're new to modelling I'd be proud- I am, and if i did something like this i'd be well chuffed! neat work.