Monster Truck

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Monster Truck

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is my first attempt at low polygon modelling. I know the textures were rushed, and i could have done a lot better but i was just focusing more on the low polygon modelling for now.
Any feedback would be great :)

And

Thanks
Goldwing

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#2]
Cool! Better than I can do (see "My first mesh" topic nearby)!
Did you extrude faces from the cube to make the body of the truck?

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes, I just started with a simple box, then extruded a few faces here and there as well as move some verts :)

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#4]
What did you use to texture map the mesh?

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#5]
I went on the net and grabbed some photos of trucks, then i cut out different pieces in paint such as (the front, side etc) grouped them all together before saving the texture image. I then used the Unwarp UVW modifier in 3DS Max to map it. Hope this helps.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#6]
So you use MAX... Lucky... Well, I use GMax.. So it souldn't be too difficult... I'm about to texture my mesh, so I asked just in case you have some software to recommend.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#7]
No problem :) If you need any more help let me know.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
While I told you not to waste polies in the bucket thread, I have to say the opposite here. When a car plays an important role in a game (and in racing games it usually does) then people today expect photorealism to some degree. So I would at least smooth the mesh, or even better use more sides in the first place. This car is looking like a 200 hundred Tris or something. I think you should use 1000 or 2000 Tris for a nice car.
I use Max too, an older version. But I don't use Max's UV Mapper, instead I prefer the free LithunWrap 1.3 that is dedicated to UV-mapping and therefor allows to do much better, professional mapping. UltimateUnwrap3D is the sequel of LithUnwrap, but it costs a few bucks. It's one of the few tools that allows to import and export animated .B3D properly. LithUnwrap doesn't support .B3D (and it's discontinued due to UU3D) and when you export the mesh as .3ds, you need to load it in Max, weld the vertives (edit mesh modifier) and reset the smoothing groups (smooth modifier, eg. auto smooth), because Lithies exported .3ds is flatshaded, unwelded.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#9]
Not bad, but monster trucks have very large tyres on them too:

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yes, it looks like i've been trying too hard with "low poly" modelling and as you say, i have far too few polys on this model. I might go back to the drawing board and redo this one :)
Thanks again for your help :D