Ancient round house

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Ancient round house

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is one of ancient houses which existed mostly in Europe until the Iron age. It is a model which should be used in a future turn based strategy game with high detail art and BlitzMax 3d engine. Some more refinements will be done once i can see what i can do with the engine. I will be doing more models but most will not be previewed until release or advertising around year 2007 (lol, so take a good look at this one!).

Textures are photosourced, modified and shaded. About 1000 triangles, can be reduced to 400.

The game will be fully 3D so users can look from ground level at cities and villages, but mostly from above.

And here is a render from blitz3d:

Comments? :)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
It looks like Noels mushrooms :D Looks good man!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
Cheers.

No, i'd say Noodle's mushrooms look like my round house! Because that is what the hay roofs look like, and his mushrooms are not gray enough. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
i think it looks pretty good... maybe a lil more work on the uv mapping, but overall, really nice...

... now to see the scenery it's gonna be in.

--Mike

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
Lenn, excellent, and very accurate according to current knowledge.
Well done, man!

puki(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'd like to see the cow that laid that sucker.

I like it though - can I have it?

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#7]
Glad you guys like it, its my first model which i put in serious work and showed here.

@puki, no you can't, but just out of fun how much would you pay for this one model? I know it might be an odd question. :) Oh and, cow dung is only a small part of the wall material, but yea you'd still need wholelotta cows...

@Red, the scenery will be partially generated and it will take a while before i start working on that, but the design of how it all fits is at an advanced stage so i'm convinced it won't look out of place or anything.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#8]
Lenn,

I have to tell you that if John Blackledge is impressed then you really have done your homework - he knows his stuff!!!!

Looks great and can't wait to see it in BMax 3d.

IPete2.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#9]
Is that so Pete? I'm really glad. I did do my homework. I spent as much time searching and reading as i did modeling. Now I have a very accurate picture of how (mostly European) architecture evolved and the models will reflect this.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#10]
I really like it from above.
I think the front entrance could use a little bit of work.
Those bits around the door that look a bit like pillars need some more structure. Right now they look to me like two scratchy, irrelevent, boxes :)

The rest is fantastic!

skn3(Posted 2005) [#11]
You have a serious texture scale inconsistancy. The hut walls clearly have a very high texture size, wheras the struts and roof dont. It would be cool if you made the top of the hut more straw like. You could use some flat quads with a half transparent texture or something. A bit like how hair / grass is done.

Aside from that, it looks very genuine. I have been inside one of the recreation huts at some saxon village place .. cant remember when and whee but I have lol.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks for your comments!

Pickl, Well i didnt work on the entrance so much because people will mostly be viewing it from above and wont be able to get so close at ground level. The pillars are wodden and thats how they look in reality.

skn, The texture sizes are yet to be optimised. The roof is 1024x1024 as it is, and the wall is less than 512x512. The reconstructions I have seend have roofs that are all in a single level, not stepped, and i cant imagine doing what you say without having a stepped roof, besides viewed from above it would make very little difference, and view from above is what i need.