The new cabin

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The new cabin

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey, this is a remodelled version of a cabin i posted a while back. I think the model in fine, but, there's something bland about the texture i think. Any tips here lads and ladies? The old one is just to show i actually have improved slightly :o)

The old cabin: (oops, i seem to have overwritten the .jpg of the old cabin :D) Ok this is the VERY old cabin.

The NEW cabin:

Dock(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hey, much better! Nice work!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#3]

Here's a shot after it's been lightmapped. I've took away the stone look to it. I'm still looking for any tips anyone can give me on the texturing :o)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
yeah... the ole cabin has come a loooong ways...

nice...

--Mike

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#5]
Here's a shot after it's been lightmapped. I've took away the stone look to it.

I think I like the one with the stone base better, makes it less bland -- otherwise it's pretty much all the same color.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
I was thinking that. Only problem is it looks slightly less realistic. The wooden rails and such. I might actually retexture it again, as it, in no-way, fits the chartoony theme :D. Thanks!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
Looks nice but remember the sun bleaches wood, so you should desaturate the textures unless you want it look like a theme park carboard thing.

BTW. when you are working on a game, you should equalize the saturation of all textures to get a consistent look and feel. So don't desaturate it too much in the first place.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nice Ross - maybe dirty up the texture a little - bit too new looking.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looking good

I think your lightmap is a bit intense, maybe activate GI in your renderer?

or just adjust the levels of the lightmap in photoshop

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yeah, i dunno why it's so dark. I must have unticked something in gile[s].

New version again: this time, cartoon textured. I'll probably stick with the cartoon style.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#11]
Ok, here's another updated shot, more in the style of cartoon (hopefully)

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#12]
I like the new style! but last screen is way too bright, I think. I can't look directly at it for more than two secs x) are you planning on adding lightmaps?

Kev(Posted 2005) [#13]
looking lots better ross, i like the cartoon style, but it is a little bright.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#14]
Doing a GREAT job there Ross :D
I love the cartoon style of the cabin
Keep up the good work.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks guys :o) Yeah, there is still lightmaps to be added. I'll probably dump this lot into gile[s] or 3d world studio and lightmap it from there. I don't really know what to do with the brightness. I had people suggest the old screenies weren't bright enough :o) I'll see what i can do.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#16]
loads better but i donlt like the shutters. Put soem trees aorund yuor cabin and perhaps have it sitting on soem slighlty higher ground. its looks a bit bit 'plonked' down at the moment

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#17]
I prefer the stone base.

Goldwing that's one fat sig pic!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#18]
Goldwing that's one fat sig pic!
You should see it at 800x600 res - it's huuuuge. :/

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#19]
oops, my sincere appologies guys. I didn't realise :) I shall get it fixed
Ross, keep up the good work man :D

EDIT: fixed :D

big10p(Posted 2005) [#20]
Much better. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#21]
Goldwing, why don't you remove the GoldWing text and just have the picture now then your sig'll be 1cm shorter.