Bucket model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Bucket model

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello, this is my latest work. It's just an old bucket, i know it's not much but i have decided to start my modelling from scratch. I am going to start with simple models and work my way up from there from now on :)
That last alien head thing i did was too rushed and big for me to try.
I think i have been rushing things too much, and trying to guess what an object should look like. Now i'm starting to use reference images.
Any feedback would be great.

And a close-up view

Thanks
Goldwing

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
nice job, but for a game it's too high poly IMHO. Even a real bucket is not so round, because it's made of a number of wooden boards. I'd rather use a max of 12 facettes for the whole cylinder. And I would use a simple cylinder, every further shaping is a waste of polies IMHO. (well of course you may add grip etc., only talking about the cylinder). Also, try to get rid of the texture distortion, the wooden structure should run parallel to the buckets vertical axe.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback jfk :)
Yes, you're right, it is too high poly and it shouldn't really be a round shape. I Will learn from these mistakes and remember not to make them next time round :)
Once again, thankyou.

PS: What does IMHO mean, i have never found out yet :)

Thanks
Goldwing

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#4]
In My Honest (or Humble) Opinion

The other problem with it is that the boards don't continue once they hit the metal band. The metal band is there to stop it from falling apart and sits on the outside of the boards therefore there should be just a single board from the bottom to the top of the bucket.

As JFK said use a lower poly cylinder, but maybe monkey with the verts so it's not perfect so you'll have some facets bigger than the others, this should give a more authentic look.

Also you might want to look how the handle is joined on.

Anyway... this is kinda what I mean...

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks Rob. I will take the tips and comments on board to correct my mistakes in the future and hopefully, become a good modeller :)

thanks once again

Goldwing