@#!*pit Stuff

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/@#!*pit Stuff

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#1]
My second attempt at the Me-262 airspeed gauge. First one was from memory. The second was an overlay on an original pic. This was done in PSP9 btw.

The airspeed gauge had 2 needles. I'm assuming the first needle went up to the first 400 marking and the second needle continued on from the second 400 marking. Probably something to do with accuracy?

Latest attempt:

In 3D:

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
Heh, look at the thread title - class

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#3]
Great puki, glad you liked my work. And thanks for the wonderful comment. - class

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
Making bad comments about people, Chroma?

Good thing the censorer managed to stop you, or that would have been horrible!

That's a nice airspeed gauge :)

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hehe, thx Mr. P. :)

I'm addicted now and having fun making em.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think the 2 needles worked like a clock (minute and hour hands) so you had as you say a greater degree of accuracy.... Actually I'm thinking of an altimeter... so forget what I just said...

As far as the model goes it's fine, I'm just struggling to get overly excited 60 triangles!

Nice texture though.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#7]
I have few books about the Schwalbe at home, I'll take a look today after work if I can find any info how they worked. Oh, and nice gauge you got there!

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#8]
I kinda over did it with the artificial horizon indicator. Gonna have to rethink this and cut out a few hundred polys.

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#9]
The artificial horizon indicator is glued to the horizon now. Looks pretty neat cruising around. Didn't hook up any other gauges tonight...it's just too darn late for me.

My freakin' forum is down for some reason and it sucks...hope it's back up tomorrow. :(

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#10]
Mmm I like the look of it :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#11]
Can I make a suggestion? Put a sphere map texture on the ball of the artificial horizon... I think it would look nice!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#12]
yeah, that might look better, but i don't think that it would be as realistic as the way he's got it now... i think the wwii brit fighters had it looking close to how he's got it now...

--Mike

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#13]
About the airspeed indicator... I have four excellent books, all devoted to only Me-262 (and it's variants) but none of them shed any light for double needle thingy.

My educated guess would be that a) it's moving "top speed" marker which goes up but doesn't come down until you reset it manually. This would "record" maximum speed attained during the flight. B) Manual "redline" marker, ie speed you should not exceed for some operation, like for example you shouldn't lower the landing gear until below 400 km/h... but these are only guesses.

Leaving it off altogether wouldn't probably matter unless you're doing true simulation instead of arcade-ish game.

BTW, have you checked these:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/Me262/262PilotHandbook.pdf

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/Me262/ME262PILOTDEBRIEF.pdf

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/Me262/ME262WendeL.pdf

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#14]

top center left...

--Mike

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#15]
I's easy to find images about the instrument panel, but finding out the purposes of the "double needle" is harder. Here's another image from the net:

http://members2.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=486791-ed73&trans=

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#16]
the purpose of the double needle is obvious... it's an artificial horizon indicator...

determining which one actually moves is gonna be the fun part...

for that, i'm gonna have to find some Me262 inflight @#!*pit vids... or some other german fighter film of the day, the instrumentation shouldn't be that much different

--Mike

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#17]
Red, you're mixing things - I'm still talking about this:

The airspeed gauge had 2 needles.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#18]
oooops.... sorrry

--Mike

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#19]
One thing that is peculiar is the two markings of 400 k/hr. There's a black shield looking thing that goes from the edge of the dial to the center.