XG100 Gatling Pistol Model (Fictional)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/XG100 Gatling Pistol Model (Fictional)

John J.(Posted 2005) [#1]
XG100 Gatling Pistol (Fictional)
This is a "fictional" gatling gun style pistol I designed in Blender3D. It's not really low poly, because I didn't intend to use it in games, but I could reduce the polys easy. It's about 2,000 polys now.

Finjogi(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nice to see fellow blenderer here. Little offtopic but what kind is your workflow from Blender to Blitz?

John J.(Posted 2005) [#3]
I downloaded a .X file exporter which is a modification of the original one and it seems to work fine for me, although I haven't really tested it much. It's supposed to be much better and more compatible (obviously, as the original directx 8 exporter didn't seem to work with blitz, although this mod does). I'm not sure if this answers your question - I'm new to Blender (about 4 days since I started using it) and don't know very much about it.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
A bit of a strange idea, but it looks nice :D

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#5]
Allrighty... and if you would show me WHERE and HOW exactly bullets enter these barrels? :)

Sorry, but I'm an engineer and gun buff, and personally like to make my models so that they look like they could actually work... :P

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#6]
@mustang it probably wouldnt use bullets... but lasers.. or something..

Cool model.. could see that in an action game for sure

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
Allrighty... and if you would show me WHERE and HOW exactly bullets enter these barrels? :)

Well obviously through the "fictional" loader mechanism as it is a "fictional" pistol.

Not to mention that he never said it fired bullets as falelorn has pointed out. I like to think of it as a "Point-of-view gattling pistol" ;-)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think it uses the Multi-stage loading mechanism. But this is only an assumption based on there being an arrow in the picture above pointing to a section of the gun that says Multi-stage loading mechanism. :p

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#9]
It has "Ammo clip slot" so I assumed it has bullets too. And if it has bullets they will have a hard time getting through the "multi stage loading mechanism" because it has sharp turn just before the barrel. :)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well there's no way for the spent cases to exit the chamber so this suggests to me that the ammo is case-less. And if this were the case the bullets would only need to be very small and could easily fit around that tight bend. This would also account for the lack of a firing pin mechanism at the base of the barrels as I'm presuming some form of magnetic propellant similar in concept to the 'gauss gun' or 'rail gun'. Though of course I'm not an engineer or a gun buff and only have my imagination to work with. :p

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#11]
Very basic, slightly imaginative.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#12]
Why would you want a high rate of fire in a handgun? You would probably move up to a rifle with a larger caliber bullet, before you bothered making a rotating barrel for what looks like a 0.5 mm bullet. As it is designed now, it might be a useful kitchen appliance.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#13]
First of all, remember this is a fictional pistol. It uses bullets. Since it is Gatling style, it fires them at around 60 bullets per SECOND (if the barrels are spinning at 600 RPM).

Like DarkHalf said:
Well obviously through the "fictional" loader mechanism as it is a "fictional" pistol.

If you want to be realistic, the motor and battery would never be able to spin a heavy iron barrel up to speed quickly, let alone keep it there. If it could, the battery would drain really quick. A more realistic option would probably be to gas-power the barrel, drawing from the bulets' explosion. The loading mechanism I added was a last-minute addon when I realized that there's no way for the bullets to reach the barrels. If I was designing a real gatling gun, I would definitely put most of my thought to the loading and firing mechanism, since this is definitely the most important.

This gun was "designed" to fire at rates of up to 60 bullets every second! This makes it impracticle and absolutely unrealistic in many ways, but only has it's use in fiction. If a gatling pistol like this was really designed and built (I'm sure it's possible), when it gets up to speed the constant recoil would virtually throw you across the room. If each bullet was .20-.30 calaber and was fired at a little over 1000 FPS, recoil for EACH BULLET would be over 7 pounds (taking into consideration the weight of the gun). Multiply that by 60 and you've got 420 pounds of "thrust" EVERY SECOND. Definitely not practical. That's why this is titled "XG100 Gatling Pistol Model (Fictional)".

As it is designed now, it might be a useful kitchen appliance.

I disagree. As it is designed now, it might be useful as a small rocket engine.

looks like a 0.5 mm bullet

The scale of the gun is deceiving. It would actually be quite large if designed, much heavier than the averange hand gun. This is because the weight must be maximum to absorb the most recoil, and since the it's got 6 barrels. This gun definitely could not be held with one hand.

Why would you want a high rate of fire in a handgun?

Because the barrels will not reach their peak speed instantly, it can be used as a semi-automatic. And the high fire rate could be used if you wanted to take out a few tanks or aircraft (depending on whether you're using armor piercing or frangible bullets).

:)

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#14]
If you reject all physics because your model is "fictional", why not make an orange sphere and call it you "Doomsday Ray Machine"? Making an impossible design and justifying it as being "fictional" is just lazy design.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#15]
If you reject all physics because your model is "fictional", why not make an orange sphere and call it you "Doomsday Ray Machine"? Making an impossible design and justifying it as being "fictional" is just lazy design.
When I was playing Halo and picked up the needler for the first time my reaction wasn't 'this would never work as a real weapon' I thought 'Wow! what a cool gun', and when Jesse Ventura let rip with the mini-gun in Predator my first reaction wasn't 'But the mini-gun requires a battery too large for any human to carry'. Fiction is always better than reality.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#16]
Making an impossible design and justifying it as being "fictional" is just lazy design.

If I did include a proper loading mechanism, the motor would completely be obstructed from view. IMO, this not only looks worse, but looks more bland with such a featureless gun. Like I said before, I could design this to actually work in real life, but there's always the point where you draw the line between reality and fiction. In this case, I went into reality as far as to include a battery, an electric motor, and the 6 barrels.

I am NOT justifying it as being "fictional" because it wouldn't work in real life; as you can clearly see the title of this post included "(Fictional)" before you ingeniously rediscovered that fact by looking at it's mechanics. From the very beginning of it's design I was quite aware that a gatling pistol would never work out in real life and therefore went for a more interesting design rather than a more bland but realistic one. An orange sphere called the "Doomsday Macine" would not only be unrealistic, but boring and stupid, so I don't think that's a fair analogy. Now if you think the motor mechanism looks ugly, that's your opinion and you're completely entitled to it.

If I made a ray gun, would you say, "That's stupid because that can't work in real life."? Of course a ray gun can't work in real life! It's fiction. Now when they start inventing ray guns I suppose you'll send a nice letter of complaint to every game and movie studio in the industry describing in detail their design flaws in their ray-guns and how they should make it look like it'll really work, even though doing so may make them look clunky and unattractive. Well, you're entitled to you're own opinion, but I doubt if any self respecting game or movie studio would respond to a comment like this.