Spacecraft Model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Spacecraft Model

John J.(Posted 2005) [#1]
Fictional Spacecraft
These are two pictures of my first model in Blender3D. It's supposed to look like a futuristic space fighter.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
It's all right, design wise; nothing spectacular, it's very stock spaceship.

I have a few questions and a few suggestions.

How big is it?
Why does it have wings if it's a space ship?

Now I say this to quite a lot of people making space ships as if I'm some kind of expert... As it happens... I'm not... So apologies for my arrogance here.

You spaceship doesn't appear to have any way of landing so it must be a space only vessel (or at least some kind of hover and dock situation)

It has wings which suggests that it is designed to work in atmosphere.

It has no visible çockpit so it might be pilot less.

The engines look like conventional jet engines which suggests atmosphere, however, they don't look like they would pivot and they look like the only form of propulsion so the hover and dock thing is out and only leaves space to dock, but, jet engines won't work in space...

My point... And I will get to one eventually...

I think you need to work out how the thing is going to work (like with your gatling pistol), where it will work etc etc. So if it's an atmosphere based craft it should have landing gear of sorts, if it's space based then you don't need wings or aerodynamics generally (no air, no friction).

How many people is this going to hold? How are they going to get in and out of the ship?

When you think about how things go together the design actually works better and makes sense.

You might think, right, I want a space ship that works in atmosphere and space... So you need wings, landing gear and rockets propulsion, and probably some docking point on it to allow it to dock with other ships/space stations.

Anyway... That's me!

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#3]
Rob, I wouldn't want to sit next to you watching Star Wars.
Why does it have wings if it's a space ship?
Maybe it's mainly for space travel but it has wings to get it in and out of atmosphere safely. This would also account for the large engines that don't pivot. Once in space only smaller manuever thrusters would be needed, similar to NASA's shuttle.
You spaceship doesn't appear to have any way of landing so it must be a space only vessel
Surely the landing gear would just be retractable like almost all modern flying vehicles, especially if it has to break atmosphere as re-entry would just snap off any fixed landing gear.

To me it looks fine. And it does say 'fictional spacecraft' at the top of this thread.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
NOTE: I began typing this post quite a while ago, and when I got back to finishing it found Oddballs there, so this may not sound quite "in place". I decided not to rewrite the entire thing, even though oddball already said alot of what I said here.

1. Wings are there to provide aircraft style flight while within a planet's atmosphere

2. Landing gear is retractible, but has been excluded for a lower poly count. If the need arises for a ship with visibly extracted landing gear, I wall add them.

3. Since the entire ship has not been textured, or even colored, the cocpit may not be very easy to see. The cocpit is located in the front of the craft and slightly inset into the hull.

4. It was meant to hold a single pilot (it's a light fighter craft).

5. The cocpit opens upward, like most fighter jets, allowing the pilot to enter/exit.

Actually, not many space craft in fictional games/movies/etc. are really that "realistic". I should have thought of a hovering option, though. I know it's really very basic. I just made it fairly quickly to look kinda cool.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#5]
Actually, not many space craft in fictional games/movies/etc. are really that "realistic". I should have thought of a hovering option, though. I know it's really very basic. I just made it fairly quickly to look kinda cool.
Agreed. I'd take cool over realistic any day. Besides who wants to turn making a game into an engineering project. If he wanted to design real spacecraft he'd work for NASA.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#6]
For want of getting caught up in a pointless debate... however!

My point with the landing gear, yes, it would be retractable but the wings are too narrow to for gear to fit in those and if all the gear was in the body it wouldn't be stable when landed.

I'm not talking about making it super realistic or anything just make it so it looks like it's would work.

Wings in space - Star wars was a great example of it, the X-Wing worked in atmosphere (when he landed to go see the little green fella) and pootling around in space. And it had landing gear!

Anyway... Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad space ship, I just don't think it's very interesting to look at. And I think if you work out how it works the design sort of comes hand in hand with it.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#7]
if all the gear was in the body it wouldn't be stable when landed.
You mean like a jumbo jet or NASA's shuttle or the MiG or almost all modern fighter planes. Yeah I see them topple over all the time, real unstable.
Wings in space - Star wars was a great example of it, the X-Wing worked in atmosphere (when he landed to go see the little green fella) and pootling around in space. And it had landing gear!
But the X-wing can hover when in atmosphere as it does in Episodes IV and V so it's wings are pointless. That's also why it doesn't need wheels for landing gear.
Why have you got such a major issue with this Rob? I don't see any reason why this space fighter wouldn't work in a game setting. The man's not making a space simulator, it's just a bit of sci-fi fun.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#8]
Oddball, I see I am caught up in a pointless debate!

Jumbo jets have landing gear in the wings, Migs are fatter than this model and have landing gear on the edges of the body and retract into the wings.

The X-Wing could hover and I never mentioned wheels for landing gear. Wings mean that it would use less fuel for forward flight, much like a Harrier.

My suggestions, as I will reiterate was simply that maybe looking at how this would work would make for a more interesting design.

I don't have a 'major issue' with it, it does seem however, that other people in this thread have major issues with my comments, which I don't think are rude or slating merely giving suggestions to improve the design of the craft.

Anyways... we could argue this 'til the cows come home so we'll just have to agree to disagree eh! :)

John J.(Posted 2005) [#9]
Personally, I do think Rob has a point. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with constructive criticism. Although I don't need to invent a actually-working warp drive just so I can make this my engines look "realistic", I should have put more thought into it's landing capabilities. Currently the landing gear (wheels) would extend from the fuselage, where it would land like an airplane. But then what's the advantage of this over an aircraft? If I thought of hovering capability, it probably would have turned out alot better. Anyway, I never claimed this to be the greatest looking spaceship model ever created.

Oddball, I see I am caught up in a pointless debate!

There's nothing wrong with a friendly debate, although it can sometimes get tiring and agreeing to disagree is sometimes the best choice. :)

JoeGr(Posted 2005) [#10]
John, for a highly realistic render you might like to try this tutorial.

http://cleandocs.com/docs/blender3d/23/x9669.html#BSG.RAD.F.S68.501

Billamu(Posted 2005) [#11]
Or you could use Ambient Occlusion found in the World Buttons menu (Amb Occ). It can give a grainy effect, but thaty can be compensated for by increasing the amount of samples. This of course increases the rendering time.

You also have to get the light right too. Use an Area Light and make the Dist reach half way between the Lamp and the Object you're lighting. click on Ray Shadow, put the Samples up to 5 or higher, then select Umbra, Dither and Noise.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#12]
Landing gear?

Surely a spaceship as futuristic as this would use a small anti-grav field generator to hover just above the ground at a convenient height for the pilot to get in and out?!? ;)