Grassy Rock

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Grassy Rock

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#1]
Get your grassy rock here, free, of course.

http://www.togamario.com/zip/rock1.zip

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi Tyler,

I have a problem with this model - the grasses always appear in front of the rock, even those behind. Any ideas?

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#3]
its the old Alpha channel z-sorting problem I suppose, maybe better to use Masked grass instead??

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
There is also some code located somewhere that helps sort out this problem with z-ordering.

I know, my comment isnt very helpful. :)

I like the rock, if you did the textures 100% by yourself, then it is amazing.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#5]
Wow, Is the z-sorting problem blitz specific? They should really look into fixing that with a patch or something since that's my preferred method of alpha masking. Masking the color always left a horrible outline that I could only barely hide with using a color that was similar to the thing I was masking ... which then left me with the problem of part dropping out that I didn't want to drop out.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#6]
Wow, Is the z-sorting problem blitz specific? They should really look into fixing that with a patch or something since that's my preferred method of alpha masking. Masking the color always left a horrible outline that I could only barely hide with using a color that was similar to the thing I was masking ... which then left me with the problem of part dropping out that I didn't want to drop out.
It's standard practice in order to make alpha'd objects draw correctly. The grass shouldn't drawn in front of the rock though as that is not alpha'd.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#7]
Your rock and grass should be separate surfaces. There is no reason to draw the rock with transparency.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ahh, I see what you're saying. The rock texture and grass texture being the same, and having an alpha on only part of it causes it? I'll redo the rock to have two textures then, the rock itself, and a much smaller texture for the alpha. Would that fix it?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#9]
Tyler - what are you doing up at 7am on a Sunday?

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#10]
I don't sleep. lol Insomnia.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
7am on a Sunday is technically the middle of the night, as far as I'm concerned! :P

Wings(Posted 2005) [#12]
huu.. Tga files.. its 1 mb ? for one little rock :)