Purebasic users...

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Purebasic users...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#1]
How does purebasic compare with Blitz for writing games (I'm not interested in apps, where I know pure is considered better on the whole)? I know several of you use both languages.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#2]
It's 2d stuff is decent, I suppose. There's a newish Action/RPG on retail shelves which was written in PureBasic, so it's perfectly capable. It's 3d is pretty out of date though. I guess a new version of Ogre is on the to-do list, but it's been on the to-do list for about a year.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
I would definitely stick to Blitz, in all its forms, for games.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#4]
I would certainly stick with Blitz for games. It's far easier to pick and code with.
For applications I use PureBasic because of the ultra-small executables it produces.

MadMax(Posted 2005) [#5]
I use PureBasic for 2D games, best around in my opinion.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#6]
We have dissenting opinions but no reasons for the opinions, except JB,
why not elucidate a bit madmax

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#7]
I dislike purebasic for game programming though I would classify it as being better than DB for them. The language just feels... clunky for some reason. Like it wasn't really intended for games but Fred tacked on some stuff for it none the less. Blitz feels like a game programming language through and through.

Plus, there's a LOT more community support for blitz game programming than there is purebasic game programming. That's a huge plus in itself.

Did I elucidate enough for ya slinky? :)

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#8]
Good to see Slenkar's investment in the word-a-day calendar is paying off ;-)

Orca(Posted 2005) [#9]
I second that "clunky" feeling. Its been a long time since I've done anything significant in pb, but I do recall being constantly annoyed at all its little nuances. Blitz+/3d both feel a lot more streamlined and usuable to me.

But then again I am extremely picky with my languages so whateva..

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#10]
In my humble experience, purebasic makes you jump through hoops and loops to do what you want, Blitz does not.
Coding a large project in both presents its own problems, but theres more of those problems with pure!.

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#11]
What about for applications using 3D extensively? I lean towards sticking with B3D rather than learning a whole other language, but I haven't really researched Purebasic.

MadMax(Posted 2005) [#12]
OK I will elucidate a bit. :)

I own all the Blitz products and think they are very good. And are perfectly capable for making awesome games. Blitz3D is also very good for 3D.

Things I like about PureBasic,

-Structures, once you define a structure you can use it as is, you can turn it into an array, a linked list (this is similar to Blitz types) only more powerful. You can create different linked lists that derive from the same basic structure, and extend it to make even more linked lists and use them all, if you want to, whithout them intefering one another (those familiar with Blitzmax will understand). Almost OOP without being OOP.

-Procedures, I like to be able to use static variables.

-Being able to make DLL's
-Use of ASM.
-Using the same language to do all, as PB is great for writing small utilities.
-Small exes, you end up falling in love with this feature.

And much more, but I don't want to make this a very long post. Of course PB is a bit more difficult to use than Blitz. All in all Blitz3D, Blitz+ and PureBasic are very powerful tools for making 2D games, and we should consider ourselves lucky to have these wonderful compilers.

I like BlitzMax very much, and I'm quite sure that it will soon (once a few issues are sorted out) become a very powerful language (already is). It will surely become a strong competitor to PureBasic.

I'd try PureBasic, it has a very generous demo, a great and helpful comunity. And why not buy the full version, it's very cheap; and will be useful anyway even if you use Blitz as your main development lang.

Azathoth(Posted 2005) [#13]
Depends which blitzbasic you have, Purebasic is what blitzplus should've been. I'd pick purebasic over blitzplus even for games.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#14]
I've got Max now and I'm sticking with it because I like the way it does things. PB has some stuff I would like to see in Max - especially the structures. May check out the demo.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#15]
ah ja jaja, my calendar did some good after all,

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
PB is cool, we use it for all our dll stuff and applications. It complements max nicely as it will also compile on multiplatform.

Russell(Posted 2005) [#17]
And now PB is available in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and even Amiga (although not supported past version 2.90 or so - but who cares!).

I agree that PB has a bit of a 'clunky' feel to it, but I think a lot of that has to do with the long command names in some cases (English is not Fred's native language, so I'm willing to put up with this). The docs are not bad, either. Certainly lightyears better than BM's... (sorry, but it's true).

For 3D, I doubt anyone familiar with both programs would disagree that B3D is better than PB + OGRE. Of course, PB gives you many of the features of B3D, BlitzPlus and BlitzMax in one package. I use both, depending on what I'm working on. And they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I highly recommend owning PB in addition to whichever BRL program(s) you own. And for about 60 euros, it's hard to beat.

Russell

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2005) [#18]
ah... PB + OGRE... I have written my own OGRE wrapper. Its 1000x better. I hates the original OGRE implentation in PB; this would to be like B3D.

btw. you can use DirectX, OpenGL, Irrlicht, Genesis3D Apis in PB, too. - In Purebasic, BMax and teh best: Powerbasic (32Bit Version).

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#19]
Something I hate in PB is the way lists function.

But, it is very useful for making plugins for gile[s].

Hummelpups(Posted 2005) [#20]
And don't forget that Jedives ( http://www.coldsteelengine.com ) Coldsteel Engine will work with PureBasic, too (as well as it will work with BlitzMax)! So PB soon will be reliable for 3D graphics, too ^^