Mushrooms

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Mushrooms

N(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here are some mushrooms I made. Lighting in gile[s], of course.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#2]
There's SOMETHING missing...

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Antony in the background? Naked? Trying to rip his testicles off?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
LOL....hahahahahaaaaaa....

NOEL!!!! Beeee HAVE Yourself!!!!

the red and brown ones look alright... but i think i understand what sswift is saying... something does look like it's missing, i just can't put a finger on it...

texturewise... maybe...

--Mike

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#5]
Whats missing is the background so we could see in which context and size they would be. Nothing else, oother than that theyre very average plain looking mushrooms. Of course the textures can ALWAYS be higher res, but thats not the point here i think.

I didn't make mushrooms in a long time, i might go and do some now... mmm...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#6]

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#7]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

LOL

Nice shrooms noel.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nice shrooms, dude.

The timing of this one is strange - housemate just came back with 3 massive punnets of mushrooms - and we still have tons left from last week's shop.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#9]
OEJ hit the nail right on the head. :-)

sswift(Posted 2005) [#10]
Seriosuly though they are nice looking, but I would add subtle color to the gray ones. Nothing in nature is perfectly black and white. And by subtle color I mean really subtle. Just a little bit off grey, but like grey with different color casts on the surface and in the cracks and on the bumps.

The red ones are my favotires.

N(Posted 2005) [#11]
How's this?

sswift(Posted 2005) [#12]
Much better. If you're gonna have glowy bits I might give them a little more color. And of course you should make the glowy bits a seperate add texture so that they'll glowwhen in dark places. :-)

N(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yeah, they're a seperate texture already.

On another note, here's a little thing I made in gile[s] just for the hell of it.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yea that looks awesome man. However i doubt youll have textures at such a high res in your game? Or maybe only as an option i suppose. The lightmaps seem to be pretty high res, so it all looks sweet. Like i said looks better with a background!

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#15]
I like the rocks.

+BlackD

N(Posted 2005) [#16]
Lenn: The grass texture is 128x182, the mushrooms are 128x128 and all share a single texture, the rock is 512x512, the grass is an old texture I won't be using in the actual game. The lightmap is 256x256 plus it's pretty obvious this is a test scene. So even so, that entire scene would take a little over 1.15mb of VRAM (assuming all textures and vertex buffers are stored in VRAM, which is not always going to be the case with my game as small meshes and what-not will not be stored in VRAM since VBOs are only truly useful when you need to send a large amount of data to the GPU, with smaller meshes you'll most likely never see a difference in performance). My target spec is a machine with at least a GeForce 3, so this is really a minimal scene as far as I'm concerned. So yes, you will be seeing the textures at that resolution in my game.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#17]
I dont see any smurfs.

puki(Posted 2005) [#18]
Ah, that second picture is nice looking - would like to have seen all the mushrooms in it.

Plantagenet(Posted 2005) [#19]
Very edible. Very nice.

I would now suggest some moss. Possibly on the rocks but definately where the rock joins grass.

You could render that again in giles using a hidden shadow object to cast a mottled light effect on the floor like you get in forests, I think this may help with scale and context.

Lastly,some gnarly tree roots behind the rocks, ala Fangorn forest.

Yes, inspirational stuff, well done.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#20]
Are ya gonna finish this game?

P.S. The edges of the mushrooms are too sharp. For instance on the left hand side ones the edges should curve under to the stalk. But I guess your going for low polyness considering your making it for a GF3. Actually what kind of geforce 3? The MX or TI.

N(Posted 2005) [#21]
TI200 -- in other words, the crappiest of them.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#22]
The MX would be the crappiest of the Geforce 3's. The TI200 is the crappiest of the Geforce3 TI's.

Svenart(Posted 2005) [#23]
great modelling work. Looks very good to me.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#24]
liberty cap anyone? Those rocks look cool.