The dragons head

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The dragons head

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#1]
Was recently asked to create a sample fantasy character, so practised the following illustration. The image shows the original pencil sketch and the computer conversion created.

Leon Brown Creations

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not bad, but I think the sketch is better than the coloured version. You seem to have lost detail when you coloured it, particularly in the breast scales and the shading. I'm not sure that your colour choices go together very well either, they seem to clash a bit.

If I were you, I'd rethink the colour scheme and replace (or enhance) the large blocks of brightly lit texture with more subtle, gradiated shading.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#3]
EDIT: Okay - the new version looks better now. :)

The pencil sketch looks really good. The computer version.. well .. the pencil sketch looks really good. Actually, Luke just said that, and is thinking the same way I am - colours and textures are bad. I'm trying to be constructive in saying this - that image wouldn't look good on a portfolio. Maybe a portfolio to show you know how to use Photoshop, but not a design portfolio.

Try using unified colour schemes, or colours that don't clash so seriously. Even opposite colours, but not red green blue and yellow all on the same beast. Unless.. it's puff the magic dragon. Get rid of the texturing nonsense, and bring in some of what made the pencil sketch good - the rich lines showing curvature and detail, which are mostly absent from the computer version.

Whipped these up in 5 mins to show some alternative colour schemes.

It's odd I don't like this one, as I've checked out your website before and like most of your other work. (Except the PlaySkills logo ;))
+BlackD

skn3(Posted 2005) [#4]
What blackD said. Also you seem to have lost some of the detail with your bezier curves. On the sketch you have some smooth flowing curves, whereas on the computer drawn version some of the curves are missformed.

BlackD's mockup reflects what it could look like, I think if you mixed the line style you had in your version, with the coloring and original detail from blackD's you might find the best result.

Using textures is a bad idea tho.

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys. Changed the colours and taken away the texturing.

As for features of the drawing, I usually make alterations to the computer version, but have restored these for the update.

BlackD - I like that style. How did you do it?

lol, what's wrong with the PlaySkills logo? Oh well, each to their own :)

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#6]
BlackD - I like that style. How did you do it?
Gameboy.. ooh - that's my VERY very lazy style. It's just a cartoony style I developed for certain projects, comprised entirely of vector shapes and shading.

A better example:

+BlackD

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#7]
Nice. I may even take some influence. I thought you said texturing wasn't good in illustrations? ;)

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#8]
Err that's not textured. You took an actual texture and applied it to the image. That has nothing to do with shading. :)

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#9]
Nice effect anyway :)

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#10]
actually I quite like the original. colours seem fine

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#11]
lol - Ruz, the original has been replaced in the top post, it's not in this thread anymore. :)

+BlackD

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'll keep to the advice and not add textures :)

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#13]
so the blue one is not the original then?

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#14]
nope >_<

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#15]
I bet it was still nice though . _.

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#16]
It looks better now :)

Agamer(Posted 2005) [#17]
It's weird I am sure I have seen that sketch before, I just can't find it....

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#18]
It's weird I am sure I have seen that sketch before, I just can't find it....

Yeah.. elfwood of course.

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/m/a/markhopkin/dragon.jpg.html

That doesn't look like the original either - maybe it is. But that was done a year ago, so they're definitely plagiarised from the same source. Tut tut Gameboy. You can't say you drew a sketch when you didn't. Hehe. :)

+BlackD

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#19]
How to draw a dragon tutorial - Part I

so they're definitely plagiarised from the same source
It's not plaigarism if he's just following a tutorial.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#20]
It's not plaigarism if he's just following a tutorial.

Claiming some else's design is your own, is plagiarism. No semantics involved.

+BlackD

Agamer(Posted 2005) [#21]
That was it, Neon Dragon art, Followed many of the tourials my self, so I spose I saw a dragon like that in my sketchbook, Mines not as good though:P

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#22]
All dragons look similar to some extent. The original idea of the dragon came from the first discovery of dinosaur bones and everyone knows what a T-Rex looks like.

To quote myself:

The image shows the original pencil sketch and the computer conversion created.

A sample of what I can create. I drew it with my own hands and constructed the vector version with my own mouse; it's not as if I someone else to do it for me :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#23]
your welcome to use one of mine.

http://www.teamrebellion.com/gallery/?p=0&g=7

note I am only giving permission to the OP to use this dragon..

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#24]
First, draw an S. Next, draw a more different S.

That dragon looks great.

drnmr(Posted 2005) [#25]
game boy - could you post the original computerized dragon drawing?

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#26]
Is that the first version drnmr? I've already altered the vector version, so can't show it. It was green and blue and used textures, but I've taken the textures away now and it looks better :).