Can Ya Stand More Sub Pics...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Can Ya Stand More Sub Pics...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#1]
... this time, the interior of one of the subs...
the
control room of a WWII/ Post War era fleet sub.

as you can see, still got a ways to go... nothing spectacular or anything... but this about what it's gonna be like...

the Blitz version of 'the sub' is coming along quite well... easy to code, accepts multitextured models from a wide variety of sources, and appears to stay at a decent performance level no matter what you throw at it...

--Mike

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#2]
looking very nice

Zmatrix(Posted 2005) [#3]
looks good Mike.
DId you make that in TS?

Sam

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Looking very good Mike. Glad to see your still working away on this :o) That's dedication for you!

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looking nice, thorough and claustrophobic or however you spell it Mike...So will the player get to twiddle with all those spinny wheels and stuff too?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
thx guys... although it's far from perfect, i think it can just sneak in above the level of programmers art... it's the best that i could come up with after trying a lot of different approaches...

yeah Sam, TrueSpace 4.3, PaintShopPro 8 for the texture s, and Gile[s] to lightmap it all...

thx Ross... it's become an obsession with me :)

that's just what i was aiming for HJ... that claustrophobic feeling of being aboard a sub... now if i can add to that with decent enough sounds as the sub descends, then i'll have something...

yup... there will be working gauges, control wheels, etc... no 'Press D Key To Dive' sort of thing... there is code already in place to control the ballasting and planes and rudder... just gotta get the graphics in place and animated...

--Mike

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sounds fun! Looks good!

sswift(Posted 2005) [#8]
I thought you might be able to use these:

www.seamlesstexturegenerator.com\uss-albacore.zip

Back when I was hunting for an apartment this past summer, I was up in Maine, and just over the border, they have an old sub called the USS Albacore in dry dock, and for a small sum you can walk around inside it, unattended. So I took tons of photos for potential future use as textures or reference materials in case I ever decided to build a sub for a game or something. (I helped make one back in 1995 for the Duke it out in DC addon for Duke 3D.)

Anyway if any of these would be useful for textures or something, go ahead and use them. I hear that Seamless Texture Generator program would be just perfect for turning images like this into usable textures with minimal effort. ;-)

The file's 40 megs btw. Pictures are extremely high res.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#9]
BIG THANKS sswift... downloading em now...

--Mike

sswift(Posted 2005) [#10]
Btw, sorry about all the odd angles, but it was so cramped on there I coudn't get back far enough from much to take photos straight-on.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
please don't apologize sswift... the ones that i've scanned through already are great... i can fix the perspective if it's not perfect...

i'll get back to you....

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#12]
I think you should go a bit higher res on the textures, looking a bit blurry right now. Looks ok, but would be nice to see more detail

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
i'd luv to go higher on the resolution of the textures... there are some spots that could really use it...

unfortunately, i don't have really high res originals to work from...

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#14]
For tech stuff there are just sop many simple techniques in pshop and paintshop pro to produce mechanical looking stuff.

Remember that 'unsharp mask' in pshop is your best friend.
Its as simple as producing simple shapes in grayscale, either bevel and emboss or used the unsharp mask filter.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#15]
thx... will look into it...

--Mike

maximo(Posted 2005) [#16]
you could easy model everything in there and render it in max, would look much better then photos.

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'd ignore them Mike - well intentioned they may be, you'll never finish this game if you don't. Looks good enough from where I'm sitting considering you're a one man band...it's better to have a finished competent game than a harddisk full of critic-pleasing textures...the next game can go for gold!

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#18]
I am not saying he should completely overhaul the textures at the expense of everything else, just trying to pass on a few tips here.
They are actually very speedy techniques anyway

John J.(Posted 2005) [#19]
Very nice! I also think the texture resolution in some places looks a little low. I hope sswift's textures help. "Seamless Texture Generator" really is a great, professional quality tool, and does a really good job with making textures seamless in addition to easy perspective correction :).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#20]
thanks again guys... good crititiques and suggestions all 'round...

and yes, sswift's photos were indeed very hi res... i found a few which i can use...

--Mike

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#21]
Looking forwards to seeing this game Red ! Will the player be able to walk around the sub in First person mode ?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#22]
yup... that's the plan... and you'll be able to turn knobs and flick handles... read dials... all that good stuff...

it's gonna be fun...

my ocean water though... it just lacks something... i spent the past two days trying to work it into some thing... hey Becks.. how did you do your water again ???

--Mike