Like my huts (no palm trees)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Like my huts (no palm trees)

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2005) [#1]

So, my little island project is coming along nicely. . . I added some better textures for the trees and added some grass using small meshes.

I just created the hut model last night. here it is if anyone wants it.

You're free to use in anything you like, but please give credit etc blah blah :O)

At some point I want to post an animation of the day night cycle, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Any ideas are welcome. . .

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks nice and grassy :)

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#3]
it looks good

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well... its very simple.
But look nice for its level of simplicity.

Looks like you are using a blitz light to light the huts tho? Because it seems like the vertex on the roof towards the sun is more lit. If thats the case, try lightmapping, should look much better and consume some memory.

I know youre not showing off the grass and it may be a placeholder but just in case, try reducing the difference in colour between the ground and grass or make the bottom of it more green and blend in more. Looks like too much grass visible for too far to not be a performance hit, tho.

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2005) [#5]
there's no performance hit on the grass because I just placed it where i needed it :O)

I agree with the difference in texture color, I haven't really got around to perfecting them yet. . .

I actually think this project is turning into a kind of world editor because I've implemented loads of easy tools to drop meshes + autogen where ever you need them in the world. we'll see how things turn out. a.t.m I'm just using the world I'm creating to play around with new ideas (new for me at least because I am not a 3d programmer by trade)

I'm actually wondering if anyone knows a good way to make some wind for the grass. I think this is gonna be a tough one.

The lighting is done by a single blitz light in the location of the sun. (the sun is attached to a flipped sky sphere which rotates with time) I haven't yet experimented with any other type of lighting, but I'm sure I will at some point because you're right, it does look a bit shoddy.