New render I'm doing...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New render I'm doing...

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have finally taken the time to try out some fantastic lighting tips learned from Craig Nisbet a while ago (here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43647).
First, I rerendered the bottles scene. I haven't totally finished that up (adding alpha to the labels is giving me heck), but it's looking much more alive. That scene gave me a bit of lighting practice, so that I can now lay out lights properly, rather than in arbitrary positions which don't work.

So, today, I did a scene with a coil. Actually, I did it twice; the first time, in a stroke of genius, I brought the file size up to 80 Mb and the RAM useage up to somewhere around 1.35 Gb. The file size was originally around 67 Kb.
It was going to be a phone cord type thing, but then I got carried away trying to do cartoon shading, (which didn't turn out well using post-process stuff), so I turned the insulator on the wire into a cartoon outline object. (A handy trick I learned a long while ago from the Anim8or crowd, where the back face is black, and the front face is invisible).
So now it is a cartoony, bent, and coiled bunch of threaded wire.

All I have to do now is tweek the lights a bit, (they're a bit more grey than usual in this render) maybe add some subtleties, and find the perfect camera angle for a 1000x60 banner thing!
The latter, sadly, has taken 30 minutes.

How does it look so far?

There may not be much to this, but I think this is the first 3d scene that I have set up so far with some degree of comfort. I never thought that it happened, this way, but I think that simple practice has led to me finally thinking that I'm getting the hang of it!

By the way: Do you happen to know how, in Cinema 4d, to get the camera object/the entire program to display the scene in real time in the same perspective as it would be displayed on a 1000x60 render?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well it's ehm a coil. Well done and it has nice cell shading. Although I'd suggest to distance-correct cell shading so the outline may have a equal width no matter how far away it is - just like when it was painted using a pen. Pobalby the main actor/thing has a bigger outline than the not so significant things in the scene (or even no outline at all when it's background, as seen in a lot of cartoons)

I hope this wasn't absolutely off topic.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#3]
And I'm done :D
I tweaked the lights a bit, did a few renders, and chose the final banner :)

And the final page with banner which strangely appears less blue, probably as a result of the now overwhelming grey: http://crumbsoftware.f2o.org/forum/

Oh, and thanks for the tip, jfk :)