A Little Ol' Doorway

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/A Little Ol' Doorway

N(Posted 2005) [#1]

That's all for now. Made in about 30 minutes for my game.

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks good. I like it.

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Minor changes.

Svenart(Posted 2005) [#4]
I like it too, good modelling work!

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
Working on texturing.

po(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nice, what kinda game are you working on?

N(Posted 2005) [#7]
Done.

po: Can't say just out of the interest of not having my idea criticized.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#8]
Cool!
Youre working on Bogus, isnt that right? Oh no, it must be yet ANOTHER abandandonable project, cos Bogus was (edit:) 2d.

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#9]
Cracking stuff Noel. The final image is superb!

What tools do you use? I've never managed to get into modelling, but I've always wanted to. Did it take you long to get to this standard of work?

skn3(Posted 2005) [#10]
Whats behind door number 3!

Looks excellent :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
yes... excellent looking door Noel...

Pro stuff dude... seriously...

--Mike

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
Daze: Wings 3D for modelling, Max for everything else. And it took me five years.

N(Posted 2005) [#13]

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#14]
I bow to your skillz.

Really nice modelling and texturing.

N(Posted 2005) [#15]
Now in 3D World Studio:

Got to love painless art pipelines.

N(Posted 2005) [#16]

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#17]
Nice!
Can't wait to see the actual game.

polygoon(Posted 2005) [#18]
@ Noel,

It's looking good. Tidy in fact. Keep posting updates, I'd be interested to see when the bits surrounding it match the door itself for quality. That's probably only some minor texturing tweaks away too from the looks of it. Minor point, the handle might look even better if a little higher up, but that's not certain, could be worth a try to see. Maybe by half it's own diameter? Or something like that.

This is hard to explain, but we'll give it a shot. Regarding your surrounding wood work on the door and the window and the one bit out there on the left on it's own: If the front faces of all of those were not quite so far from the surface of the wall, then you could see the top edge of the door just a little easier from most angles, and this in turn would allow you to make the top edge of the door a little more even. This would help as it then heads a little more towards subtle, and that makes the bottom uneveness appear a little more pronounced, and that's how doors of that type tend to age in general, bottom goes first! As it stands the top is uneven by maybe a little too much, and I can see that it needs to be right now as the depth of tha woodwork hides it too effectively. I do hope that passes for making sense! ;O)

Having said that, the chunky look of that wood has it's attractions too! - Can't win at this can you!? ;O)

EDIT

Of course it's hard to know what to say when it's seen out of it's setting context. So I could be way off for reasons I can't possibly know about.

EDIT

"And it took me five years."

Don't be discouraged.

The first ten are the worst.

The second ten are a little easier, but hold "different" complications! ;O)

The five after that start to get kinda interesting.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#19]
What's the poly count on the door?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#20]
724 polygons, blockhead.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#21]
Very nice work noel.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#22]
Looks very good. Reminds me of my front door, except that is painted white with black hinges.

N(Posted 2005) [#23]
This is hard to explain, but we'll give it a shot. Regarding your surrounding wood work on the door and the window and the one bit out there on the left on it's own: If the front faces of all of those were not quite so far from the surface of the wall, then you could see the top edge of the door just a little easier from most angles, and this in turn would allow you to make the top edge of the door a little more even. This would help as it then heads a little more towards subtle, and that makes the bottom uneveness appear a little more pronounced, and that's how doors of that type tend to age in general, bottom goes first! As it stands the top is uneven by maybe a little too much, and I can see that it needs to be right now as the depth of tha woodwork hides it too effectively. I do hope that passes for making sense! ;O)

Just barely ;) I appreciate the extremely detailed critique -- don't get too many of those these days -- but (dun dunnn dunnnnnn) what I have there is the style I'm going for (although I need to add some cracks in the plaster so the brick is showing through a little -- could prove to be difficult since that will most likely make the tiling of the texture much more evident) and it won't be changed out of the interest of maintaining it.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#24]
@Picklesworth: Ah, should've scrolled down and seen the rest of the images, I suppose. Thanks anyway ...

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#25]
Nice to see the editor's mesh features being used.

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#26]
Noel: you can do the cracks in the plaster like they are done in a Source Hammer (hl2 etd.) map, use a 'decal' i.e. a sprite lifted 0.01 or so away from the wall...

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#27]
nice work

aCiD2(Posted 2005) [#28]
NoelCower - depending on whether your using Cipher for this or not, you could use shadeders, and texture bomb a cracked texture look. It seems ideal for this situation, escpecially if you make a variety of cracks.

N(Posted 2005) [#29]

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#30]
nice.. :)

now, if we could only see the game around the door as well!??!! ;)

aCiD2(Posted 2005) [#31]
NoelCower: what IS that window doing? Is it holy? >_>

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#32]
That looks nice.
The contrast between the door, its frame, and the wall is a bit funny looking though...
Perhaps the frame texture should be tinted a bit.

N(Posted 2005) [#33]
Remade the window, since glass just wasn't logical.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#34]
Looked better when the grass was broken up like in the first 3DWS shot. I also think the windows will look better with glass, less repetitive. Besides it would look cooler than the closed version at night with warm and fuzzy light shining through. The door is fantastic.

puki(Posted 2005) [#35]
I like that doorway - can I have it (and the whole building if possible)?

N(Posted 2005) [#36]
No. Because nobody likes you.

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#37]
Really nice work. Lovely chunky feel. It's a shame but it seems to look nicer in the Max render than the Blitz render... colours seem a bit washed out in Blitz. Is that simply the Blitz renderer or could you prevent that with some good lighting in Blitz?

N(Posted 2005) [#38]
There are no screenshots here rendered in Blitz, nor will there ever be.