Finally, I got a tablet!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Finally, I got a tablet!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#1]
So I made this:

This is my very first piece of art using a tablet!!! I call it the "Space banana". I practiced shading and highlighting and for my VERY first attempt, i'm happy! I didnt see it as a "3d" object from the very beginning so i didnt highlight it like a round object but rather like an embossed 2d object thats sticking out. Hope you dig it ;)

For those who are experienced texturers and might give me advice on shading read on:
I tried creating a brush (in Corel) that is a circle which adds 1,1,1 (RGB) when painted. I hoped this would make it subtle enough, but when i drew with it, it actually made the pixels darker by about 3 or 4 depending on the colour under it. I tried adding opaqueness and transparency to it but it seems that as soon as i add this, the brush disappears as corel thinks the pixels of the brush are 100+% transparent. If i drew with this i couldn't avoid having clear lines that are visible and show where the shading starts. So i made a noisy brush with varying pixel darkness and set its transparency from 93 to 95% to control the actual darkening. This seems to work well, only that the results are not as smooth as some shading might require. The plan was to shade it very high res and then downscale it and make it more blurry and smooth, but that somehow ruins the artistic value of this particular piece so i didnt do it now. I will probably use the same technique for shading from now on, but also use blur and/or resize with anisotropic filtering to achieve the smooth (not noisy) shading. I know most of you use something other than Corel, but an explanation of how you shade the very fine shades using any tool will be welcome.

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
I thought it was a tentacle.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
You sound fascinated by my work! Why, thank you kind Noel.

:P

i pwn j00... even tho my wrist hurts ....

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well you need to stop 'painting' your banana.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'll stop when i come... to the conclusion that its good enough.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
art... hhmmmmm... okay....

(j/k) working with a tablet is a different experience, isn't it... enjoy...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
For anyone who wants to know, Asda are doing 'Trust Tablets' (including wireless mouse and pens) for under £23.00 and actually they are not too bad at all!

IPete2.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#8]
animal tails .. prolly from a fox ..

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#9]
lol

I was going to post this thread as "Psychological test: guess what this is", but i decided you people are too immature for it! haha

It also looks like a boomerang, a blade with a hook, two lizard tails, or a snake, or a sharp tooth even.

@IPete, people seem to recommend Wacom, some tell me cheaper ones WILL break down after a while.

polygoon(Posted 2005) [#10]
@ Lenn

Now you said it, the boomerang thing keeps coming back to me as the most likely.

I better keep taking the tablets.

N(Posted 2005) [#11]
I still say it's a tentacle, and I've seen plenty of tentacles.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#12]
Now you said it, the boomerang thing keeps coming back to me as the most likely.

Was that joke intentional? :P

polygoon(Posted 2005) [#13]
@big10p

It's so internetional its got it's own passport.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#14]
International? I said 'intentional'.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#15]
lol

The image seems to be inducing some halucinogenic brainwaves around here. How very Magical!

Now i'm beginning to see the little ants walking around the fox tail which suddenly detaches, flies past a purple bush and returns as a bird, free to fly to mars and take a flower with it and bring it back to the purple sun where the waves of the ocean make sounds you hear only in your imagination, sounds of birds that growl loudly yet sound so gentle... doesnt it do that for you too?

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#16]
Has anyone invented a tablet which is also an LCD display? So that you're actually drawing on the art itself?

ratking(Posted 2005) [#17]
Yes, Wacom has.