simple clouds (Image heavy)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/simple clouds (Image heavy)

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#1]

The simple cloud setup plops clouds at a given height above your scene at a given range, and given density., and with a call to update them. they move about gently. simple calls can change the color as well to represent stormy ect.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#2]
it's just {codebox} and {/codebox}

Obviously replace the '{' with '['

RiK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Forum codes:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
cool!

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#5]
Wow, that is cool. For Mapcrafter 3D view I assume?!

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks. yes those shots are from a map created with Mapcrafter. Viewed in MC 3D mode.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#7]
Myself I don't like them. They just look like smoke, not 'cotton woolly' enough for clouds and too grey - like storm clouds but not dense enough to be storm clouds. I think I prefer a skybox combined with infinite textured planes layered over each other with cloudy textures which scroll gradually - although you obviously cannot fly through such clouds as they only look okay from the ground.

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#8]
So dont use them.. in fact.. i didnt supply a cloud texture.. so what are you yapping about? Use your own textures, or dont use this at all. I think from my screenshots it should be clear that i wasnt going for any kind of real world cloud simulation.. I can see why alot of people dont bother sharing around here... Jeez

Space_guy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looks nice

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#10]
They're cool! Reminds me of looking out the window when we were flying back into England...but with an English backdrop of course.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
reminds me of War of The Worlds...

... or Close Encounters of The Third Kind.

--Mike

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#12]
They look cool man. I tried something similar myself. Do you have LOD on these? Would be cool to fly up and the system produces more clouds as you near them. Looks cracking though :o)

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#13]
No lod, its a crude system. wich works for my needs atm.. i will probably optimize it later when my game is closer to finished.. im too busy with game mechanics atm :)

Right now its an entityautofade setup.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hi RifRaf,
Looks VERY good look through the clouds but a bit 'bumpy' in the 3rd screenshot.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#15]
Rad!! I dig em! I like that you gave em the ability to turn different colors. Allows you to set a mood very nicel I would imagine. Red for E-vil, pink for wholesome goodness. Well done!

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#16]
@tonyg
thanks.. yeah im not much of an artist..
I ran psp and quickly splatted some white and grey paint
down.. put a very rough alpha map on it. the cloud
textures could be much better..

Liberator(Posted 2005) [#17]
I love em, they go very well with the "mini" feel of the whole map. Your mapcraft tool has a very unique feel to it, where everything around you feels exadurated and 'cute' but in a realistic way. I love it.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#18]
Could you try the codes again?

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#19]
Sorry code boxes were messed up across the entire forum. wasnt anything i could do.. seem to be ok now though.