Cabin

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Cabin

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey, i really need help/crit for this cabin I modelled. I dunno what it is, but it kind of sucks, but i can't put my finger on what needs changing.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#2]
Given that you are still learning I'll be constructive as I can:

- The textures are pretty bad, they look flat and don't have shadow to make them seem more 3D.

- The uv mapping is quite bad on the roof. I don't think there is a log cabin in the world with a roof like that. It can't be done, therefore you can't use logs for the roof. It's pretty common sense really isn't it?

Look at scandinavian and swedish log cabins, examin how the roofs are constructed. You've gone for a house model and FORCED the roof to have logs. There's no method to your scottish madness.

- The texturing lacks contrast and so looks a lot flatter than it could.

- The brickwork is tiny and far too detailed in comparison.

-------

To fix this you would need to redesign the roof because it defies the laws of physics: logs cannot do what you're texturing them to do... (basically you've made it so the logs not only curve downwardss but also spread out at the corners) .therefore the brain goes... what the hell? So either slate roof or a re-model. Plus fixing up the textures.

Really you just need to make it more realistic... The polygon count of this is ideal if you're making an RTS, not an fps or modern game where you're as close as the screenshot.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah, the roof is really stupid... I'll take all of those points on board. Very helpful points there, thanks :o)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#4]
If I was you I'd just model the logs... even low poly (but with lots of smoothing, say 4-5 sided cylinders, it will still look amazingly nice.

If it's one surface it'll go the same speed ish as that low poly one anyways...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
my first impression went along, for the most part, with what was said above... the textures are your prime concern here...

the lower half will do, but the roof should be a different texture, to reflect different building materials...

and that chimmney looks like it came from a totally different painting... its texture is to 'realistic' and scaled too small for the rest for the rest of the structure...

other than that... i guess i really depends on what style you are aiming for that will determine whether or not this looks any good or not... it can work in a more cartoon-like world, but not in a Half Life world, or anything that is supposed to be a replica of a part of the real world...

hey... texturing is one of the hardest things to do... so don't be discouraged by the critiques... we've all been there... you just gotta find your own particular technique... and get some info from some of the good skinning people here...

hey... look through the Gallery... there are plenty of examples of different styles represented there... find the style you are aiming for, and study the shot... even ask the guy/gal who did it for a few pointers...

good luck

--Mike

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks Mike and OEJ. It's for a cartoony like world, but i agree about the textures. I'll remodel the cabin again :o) Thanks!

puki(Posted 2005) [#7]
I think it looks like an owl.

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think the UV mapping is good. I can see that the logs running across the font of the cabin match very well to the side. so the circles look as though they are part of the front log. i think the texturing itself is good on the lower half.. but does need some shadows ect.

and i agree with most of the above regarding the roof.

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#9]
I agree with the others; more shadows and more contrast. Use the burn tool (soft-edged brushes) in Photoshop/GIMP to draw some shadows along door edges etc.

Check this out:

Without shadows:

Shadows drawn with burn tool:

Very little work needed, just click'n'drag the burn tool along the edges a couple of times with different sized brushes.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm completely remodelling the cabin now, with alot more polygons. Thanks for the texturing suggestion though, I'll use them when i come around to texturing :o)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#11]
Shadows drawn with burn tool

Assuming you're using photoshop, you could add shadows much more easily by right clicking on the layer for the brownish bit in the layers manager, going to blending options, and adding a drop shadow.