Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My anime girl

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#1]
Been trying to master anime. Here's something I created earlier:

Any feedback appreciated :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Mmmm, childbearing hips. :P

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#3]
colouring is good... but:
proportions are.. like... very.. erm.. wrong (feet to big, hips to... well you see what i mean)
The lighted areas don't look that good, either (especially on the shoulders, the breast and the shoes)

looking through the stuff on your website (very well designed it is :]) i see that you HAVE designing skills (especially your logo designs) but you definitely need some practice with characters...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#4]
The hook-like hands help her claw the massive leather stiletto heel boots off her size twelve feet.

The thick upper arm muscles power through mundane everyday tasks.

The cyclopian lazer eye sees all.

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#5]
Made a few changes Raitsun, let me know what you think. Thanks for checking out the site also.

One Eyed Jack:
The thick upper arm muscles power through mundane everyday tasks.

It's always good to have a bit of muscle. Are jealous? ;)

The cyclopian lazer eye sees all.

Funny you should say that, cos that's what I was thinking when I read your name ;)

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#6]
Is she busy tonight?

Very nice looking. I like her a lot.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#7]
She's been on a diet - boo! Bring back the hips! :P

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
Legs are way too short. She'd be a midget with those things. People are typically about 7 1/2 heads tall.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#9]
Nice start. Very clean lineart, and generally well produced - presentation makes a big difference. Work on your proportions - thicken her hips, narrow her shoulders and give her some sort of waist definition. Also, I'd recommend you lay off the gradients, focus on block and cel shading insteads.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#10]
looks better now.... but proportions are still not correct.
lighting is better now, too.

Don't try to make this one perfect...
try another Character, using a reference, so that the proportions are right...
draw it on paper first.

Here's a great choice of human references:
http://www.3d.sk/sitemap.htm

mfg Raitsun

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
i think it looks really good... i don't know much about anime... therefore i'm not gonna offer any suggestions...

well... maybe a lil more in the hips :)

--Mike

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks guys! Made the hips a bit bigger and have increased the leg height a bit.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#13]
hm I'd say the contours are pretty easy to do orso.. I made a toolie once to rip contours from images by placing beziers on it.. the hard job is painting/coloring the pic. Perfect anatomy, but no colors..

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#14]
HIPS! Excellent!

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#15]
About the hips, they should go up to this point: halfway between de nipples and the bellybutton ^_^
Also: nipples & bellybutton form a perfect triangle.., but I guess that's already ok in this pic..

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#16]
Her feet are still 12 inches and her newly added thumbs look raptor like.

Your only real problems are:

proportion

thinking in 3D

Basically if you learn the techinques of figure illustration you can pass that onto flash and so forth. You'll get stuck on this 2D plane forever otherwise. Depth and shadow are what make illustrations really stand apart.

Check out "how to draw the marvel way" it's a great book for teaching you how to bring lifelike depth and proportion to your figure illustrations.

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#17]
Her feet are still 12 inches and her newly added thumbs look raptor like.

I see the cyclopian eye sees all, but just for the record - here is a raptors claw ;):

On a less sarcastic note, thanks for the advice. I will check out that book, but I don't know what you mean about passing the techniques onto flash and so forth?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#18]
Well the book shows how to use geometry and vanishing points by using ovals, rough shapes and line tricks to create a character with proper proportion and depth.

For example a character's head is actually five eyes wide.

I mentioned flash because it looks as though your illustration was made using flash.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#19]
This is an anime character, so, going for proper human proportions doesn't apply, surely?

If anime characters' heads were five times their eye width, they'd have heads about 4 feet wide! :)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#20]
All anime goes for correct proportions. The proportions are then exaggerated.

Proportion and depth then is mantained throughout the anime character's development. Even rocketboy obeyed these simple laws.

The above picture is classically flat and ill proportioned to the point where it isn't cute but slightly freakish. This is a common mistake of an artist that has no technical training.

I am not attacking the author: I give out the same advice time and time again when I see these signs.

Game Boy could draw like that for a hundred years and it'd only get prettier, it'd never raise his ceiling of ability. To break through the barrier and go beyond the current level of ability he needs to learn a few more technical art tricks, then his work will show a marked improvement, and so on, he'll grow exponentially as an artist.

People make big mistakes thinking that you only need to keep practising, and that practise makes perfect. Thats really wrong: practise only perfects what you already have.

So by learning proper proportion and perspective, he will have a lot more to perfect on :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#21]
All anime goes for correct proportions. The proportions are then exaggerated.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? If, for example, you exaggerate the size of the eyes, they're no longer in proportion.

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#22]
The above picture is classically flat and ill proportioned to the point where it isn't cute but slightly freakish. This is a common mistake of an artist that has no technical training.

I would like to correct you on that point; I have an A-level in Product Design and have been trained in using drawing techniques, including how to design products from front, top and side views and how to convert this information into isometric view. In future, I would be grateful if you could back your claims about my technical ability and training.

As big10p says, most styles of anime is about exageration of features. Your claims that the drawing is freakish is your opinion, but does not imply that I am technically incapable; infact I've followed several anime tutorials written by authors with credibility. Here is an example of chibi anime:

You also said that I should take a look at a Marvel comics tutorial, but why would I do this? Marvel comics are not anime, and if you are comparing my work to Marvel style comic artwork, then obviously you are going to see something that does not conform to their rules.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#23]
You also said that I should take a look at a Marvel comics tutorial, but why would I do this?

You should do it because it teaches you how to draw people. The style of art makes no difference, if you don't understand proportions then your characters will always look weird.

I have an A-level in Product Design and have been trained in using drawing technique

Product design isn't character design, drawing things in top, front, and side views is not useful for anime since you never see things without depth - Flat anime would be incredibly boring. As Rob mentioned you need to think in 3d, learn about perspective (something else covered in the marvel book).

Your image isn't terrible, it's clear that she's a woman, probably a bar maid from the local tavern. But it's also clear you didn't draw this in something like photoshop, using a technical app like illustrator means you spend a lot of time on getting the curves right and ignore the actual look of the person.

In my opinion, if you want to get good at character art (of any sort), you should put away whatever vector application you're using, break out the pen and paper, and go to a life drawing class.

Also Go back and reads Docks comment, he knows what he's talking about ( http://www.deadpanda.com/colour/reachballoon.shtml )

FWIW I've got a gcse and Alevel in art and a 1st class degree in Digital Art... and I'm a long way from knowing everything - it's all abnout practice, qualifications matter little.

On top of the marvel book I would recommend drawing dynamic comics ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823003124/qid=1126365292/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-8804477-6142201 ), it's similar to the marvel one but has a more modern style to it.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#24]
whoa!

*should click more often on signatures..

Dock: you rock!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#25]
Wow! Docks work is excellent. :O

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#26]
Product design isn't character design

True, but the point that I was referring to was that Jack said that I had no training; I can assure you that this is totally not the case, as I have studied graphic design and as previoiusly said have an A-level (and GCSE) in product design and that there is a lot of drawing techniques used in the course - a major part of the final exam is actually to make you use the techniques learnt.

I have no problem in reading criticism of my work, especially if I gain to improve my skills, but for someone to claim that I have no technical training in drawing is false and out of order.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#27]
I still think the proportions are out. I know it's an anime character and they have slightly exaggerated ones. I put this together to show what i mean.

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/compare.gif

big10p(Posted 2005) [#28]
I recognize that model. I've got loads of pics of her posing in the nude somewhere.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#29]
I got it from a recently posted proportions website on this forum :o)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#30]
Here's a version with wider hips along with the top image you posted:

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#31]
Sorry about the fingers ^_^

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#32]
I have no problem in reading criticism of my work, especially if I gain to improve my skills, but for someone to claim that I have no technical training in drawing is false and out of order.

I actually said:

I am not attacking the author: I give out the same advice time and time again when I see these signs.

It's obvious you've got the tit on with my advice and are hung up about it. Look I didn't mean to offend you. I'll take my advice elsewhere.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#33]
The head looks not-oval and not-anime but something in between?

I've NEVER seen shading such as this for anime, thats what looks wrong, ya know ;) Do some propper shading, with a palette of only 32 colours that should make it look right. In anime you have sharp shadows (also because low colour count), unlike your babe here. This is what you need to do ABOVE ALL, then show it to us and we can give better opinions maybe? :)

Elbows too oval. Anime once again is about sharpness imho. Sharpen them up.

In anime i also think the nose and eyes should be more 'squished together' Ie, nose higher up eyes lower (a little bit). In fact, eyes bigger not lower? Not sure.

Connected with shading and colouring, you need more lines representing flesh and muscle 'deformation', how should i say, on the inside of the elbow the line should be longer and clearer.

Another thing. Nose is usually only one horizontal line unless it is a higher angle of view from the side. This is a full frontal, i dont think you should have the 'side line' on the nose, but only one straight line. Try it, i dunno.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#34]
In fact since i'm backing up about 20GB to my DVDs i have lots of time. So here it is, very crude but you'll get the idea. You should do the same but polish it properly, in my opinion:

What i did:
Made to 24 colour palette
Nose fixed
Eye enlarged, moved further out
Elbows sharpened
shoulder sharpened
upper arm thinner
thinner thumbs
Corrected some colour shading, made propper sharp transitions
reduced shoe size

PS!!! I'm not an anime freak. I dont watch and i've never drawn anime before. I just think i know how it looks...

PPS. Oh about the hips, now that i've made her look sharper she looks less fat and smaller hips are OKAY. If you ask me.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#35]
The hips still look wrong. They need to be at least as wide as the shoulders. I think it's more the cruve inwards from the hips that looks the oddest part. Good improvements though other than that :o)

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#36]
It's obvious you've got the tit on with my advice and are hung up about it.

Nah. It just sounded to me that you were inferring that I had I no technical training when that is not the case.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#37]

On this pic it's obvious that the hips end between the bellybutton and the nipples.. while your anime-girl's hips end too low .. I think that's the main thing to change..

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#38]
Yup, the 24 bit thingy works better for colring. Too much gradient