Hammer Horror style models - feedback appreciated

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Hammer Horror style models - feedback appreciated

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#1]
The following two models are prototypes of two characters from a game design I wrote a while back. Neither of them are completed but I'd appreciate some feedback before I finish them. The game is meant to capture the feel of old british Hammer Horror movies, in particularly the early Dracula and Frankenstein films. However, I wanted to remove the more horrific elements so I've gone for a slightly cute and cartoony take on the characters.

The above character is "Abraham Von Cushing". He's intended to be a stylised cross between Victor Von Frankenstein and Abraham Van Helsing, as played by Peter Cushing in his Hammer Horror movies. He's a vampire hunter and scientist.

This second character is Cushing's monster. I didn't want to go with the traditional Frankenstein's monster design style (stitched together body parts, bolts in the neck etc,) so I chose a less horrific robot design instead.

Any feedback/opinions/criticisms will be gratefully received. Just bear in mind my aim here - classic british Hammer Horror style with a slight cartoony twist.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
They look great to me. Really nice style, that I hope you can maintain throughout. Carry on. :)

What poly counts do you have?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
I agree with Beaker - these look ace! I particularly like Dracula - would love to see him textured. My only crit would be that, IMO, having a robot monster in a Dracular game is a bit incongruous, maybe? Great work, though. ;)

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#4]
1850 polys for Von Cushing and 3886 polys for the robot.

I reckon I could halve the polygon count for the robot with a bit of sensible mesh optimisation. But, since there would never be more than a handful of characters on-screen at any one time and since I intended the environments to be fairly low poly, I don't know if it would be worth the effort to do so.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#5]
Sorry to be negative, but....

That robot really doesn't fit in with the Hammer Horror theme at all. I think you could get away with replacing the monster with a robot, but not that one, it just doesn't feel right for the theme.

On the plus side...
Von Cushing looks excellent.
The robot's body looks good, the head is OK (but not for this project IMO)

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks for the advice, guys. I thought that the robot might stand out a bit. I guess I should rethink him, but the lazy part of me is loathe to remodel him when he's almost finished.

By the way, what would you say if I said that I plan the game to be in black and white as a homage to the old universal horror movies?

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hello.

You'd have to get the lighting spot on. But add a few interference effects and it could be excellent.

Goodbye.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
Black+white with the above mentioned flicker would look good.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#9]
black and white with the film scratches would look very cool

van cushing, nice stuff ;)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice work.The Van Helsing character is great even looks like Peter Cushing. The robot character, however, is very well done but doesn't fit in at all into the whole black & white retro theme. A cartoon style frankenstien would be much better - you could make him quite small to be less scary.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#11]
Great work, these are coming together nicely. I agree with everyone that the robot doesn't suit the style, although he's great as a standalone character. Black and white will be very interesting, although I employ you to try to make it veer into shades of blue or brown, rather than pure grey grey grey. Woulds be cool though! ^_^

big10p(Posted 2005) [#12]
I employ you to try to make it veer into shades of blue or brown, rather than pure grey grey grey.

Sepia would be cool.