100+ Textures

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/100+ Textures

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#1]
I put together a fairly cheap collection of over 100 textures into a 200 MB compilation. The line-up is as follows.

10 Bark
10 Blend Maps (or "Grunge" maps)
11 Brick
10 Cloth
10 Concrete
17 Ground
12 Metal
4 Sky Maps (Wrap horizontally)
15 Stone
8 Wall (Wrap horizontally)
10 Wood

All seamless unless otherwise noted, and almost every one of them has a bump map. Each is at least 1024x1024 and are saved as no-quality-loss JPG images.

Price: $8

http://www.togamario.com/textures.html

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#2]
Here's a really quick scene I made using some of the textures.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Did you get permission to sell modifications of Mayang's textures?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]

License

These textures are Copyright © Mayang Murni Adnin, 2001-2004. They have all been taken by our own cameras or created by ourselves.

Use:

They are free to use for all uses, whether commercial or non-commercial (you may incorporate them into your work with no requirement to pay us any licensing fee etc). It would be nice if you could credit us.

Sell:

You may not sell any of these textures.

Redistribute:

You may redistribute (give/send to somebody else/display on a web site) up to 30 of these textures together, but no more. You must credit this website as the original source (tell them about us)

I'm not sure if this is "selling" or "using in commercial work"...

However, personally I wouldn't do this since everyone can do much better raw photo material for textures with a cheap camera.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yes I did, says so in my licensing agreement in the pack. It was on the condition that I do not provide the raw images and that I give a link to their library.

I think, however, I did forget the pricing agreement. I'm not sure if Will "ok"ed the pricing. Hmmm, guess I'll have to bring it down till I can get that worked out. Maybe I should also just get off my lazy flapjack and take my own raw photos.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
i dunno........

--Mike

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#7]
You dunno what? lol - If it is the licensing that is in question, I invite anyone to e-mail and ask Will about the agreement. I've had this pack done for several months now, you can go to my forum http://www.togamario.com/phpbb2/ and see where I posted concerns about it in my 3d Content section a while back.

Thankfully I haven't sold any yet, cause I'm gonna have to contact them again to figure the price we had settled on. He was concerned people would be getting more textures for a lot less this way, I believe, so if the price has to go up much more, then I'll end up postponing it indefinitely. What's a decent sized to price ratio for texture packs? Should they be more concentrated on specific subjects, like 100 metal textures for (insert price here?) Thanks.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
don't get me wrong T... i'm all for making a buck... or two...

... but redoing someone elses images... then selling them in a pack... well, i just don't know...

and the link you provided doesn't work, so i can't get any more information about it...

i dunno...

--Mike

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#9]
:) Oh, I took it down permenantly, so nobody orders it (as nobody had, nor will they). Although, Mayang's texture database is a great source of raw images, they are by no means usable for tileable 3d work as they are. I made them originally for a series of projects I was working on for my portfolio, then I ended up with over 100 of those (some are my own images too, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them are edited from that site) I thought releasing them for a small small price would give people a nice general texture set that they could mix and match with the blends maps and all.

The reason I haven't done my own raw pictures is mainly because almost every picture I've taken with my digital camera hasn't been adequate for texture use. A photographer I am not. Something about the art of taking those kind of pictures I can't grasp, and if anyone has a tips page with some info on the subject, I'd be happy to take a look. If I can get the hang of it better, I'll release a free pack or two before I decide to sell any larger sets. Now that I look at it, 100 isn't that impressive :-/ Maybe 250? or more? Anyhow, I apologize to the community for the slack "release". I promise I'll make it up to ya.

I have one free model pack of general objects that I've been working on for fantasy games, which you are all more than welcome to make suggestions for on this forum, or my own.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#10]

if anyone has a tips page with some info on the subject, I'd be happy to take a look.

http://www.caffeineoverdose.net/cod/articles_article1.shtml

:)

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thank you mustang! Your own site, I take it? If I can get home before dark, I'm gonna start taking a slew of pictures.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
[quote]
Your own site, I take it?
{/quote]

Yup... if only I had time to update it properly...

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#13]
That is some good lookin' stuff. I hope I can get around to doing it that well someday, then they might pay me for it, lol.