"the bar"

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/"the bar"

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#1]
just wondering, if i wanted to sell a 3d game, how good would the graphics have to be?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#2]
If the game is hardcore, you should give up right now, and forget about it forever: the hardcore crowd won't touch your game if it doesn't look as good as Quake3/UT2004.

But if it's a casual title, then you can get away with a lot of polish but keeping it stylised or small (depending on game). Regardless, what kind of answer do you expect?

It has to look as good as possible of course...

puki(Posted 2005) [#3]
In fact, you can get away with acceptable graphics if you have bloody good game logic/AI.

So, if you are not too hot at the graphics stuff, offset it with clever stuff.

However, '3D game' is a bit of a wide topic.

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#4]
i'm talking about the number of triangles for the humans and stuff like that. i'm pretty good at making textures for video games. would it be acceptable to release a game with human meshes that look as good as quake 2?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
only if it wasnt an FPS, is it?

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#6]
no. i'm making a tactical espionage action game.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#7]
i'm pretty good at making textures for video games. would it be acceptable to release a game with human meshes that look as good as quake 2?

Well, considering that Quake 2 got away with doing so, I would guess that would be a "yes" then? ;-)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
was Medal Of Honor done with the Quake2 engine... if so, i think that you might be able to squeeze it through the crack within the next couple of months...

but you've gotta have a hook... by that i mean, something that'll be talked about...

either those human meshes are gonna have to have some really smart ai... or they're gonna have to talk with their mouths moving and emote some sorta emotional expressions similar to HL3...

yeah... i think you could get away with it... if the game is good enough... remember... Quake2 came out a while ago...

... but hey, i still fire up MOH every now and then... one of the best games ever imho.

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow if it was Red I'm impressed - or did you mean Quake 3 engine?

MOH is a great looking - great playing game on the PC.

IPete2.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#10]
MOH is Q3 Engine.

But if you want to see what a dedicated indie team can do with one programmer, one sound guy and one artist, all working online from different parts of the world:

http://www.warworld.net/

Thats an indie game. Looks AAA... plays AAA.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#11]
Perhaps the question we should be asking, Fish, is how long did it take them?

Also if you read the news sections of their website you will find two of them are ex Nintendo game creators and one was in another game creation company. So they are hardly new to the scene.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#12]
So? You wanted the bar, there it is. Don't keep lowering it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
Game looking good and fully supported Fish's thoughts...

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#14]
whoa! man, i wonder how they pulled it off?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#15]
yeah Q3 engine... thx

nice link fish...

--Mike

Warren(Posted 2005) [#16]
just wondering, if i wanted to sell a 3d game, how good would the graphics have to be?

The answer is: yes, you're going to have to hire an artist.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#17]
that means, if, in fact, you ARE an artist, that should work... ín most cases you don't have the graphics to be technologically advanced but the art has to be good...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#18]
lol @ Warren