2d Art Style - Which do you prefer?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/2d Art Style - Which do you prefer?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
A lot of feedback on TriviaNet Challenge has been along the lines that the interface is too bland and too static. I can deal with static later, but for now, I'm seeing if I have a more acceptable style for the interface.

The original interface :

A full on shiny silver/chrome skin with a different background.

And a half-complete metallic skin

Bear in mind that the slider is enlarged somewhat to give you a better view of it. It won't be quite that big in place.

taumel(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi Sybixsus,

to be honest i don't like the design. When i look at it then i look more at the interface than i am looking at the question and the answers. The interface is dominating too much. It should be more silent, in the background...do you know what i mean?

But if you wanna stay with this interface than the second version is better for me.

Greetings,

taumel

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#3]
do it themeable!! ;)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
I prefer the 'metallic' skin, myself - although it doesn't really look too much like metal to me.

I think the key is to use fewer, less-saturated colors for the main interface, and brighter, saturated colors for the 'important' bits. This is basically what you've done with the metallic skin, which is why I prefer it.

I'd also ditch the font you're using on the buttons as it's not easy to read. I had to stare at the 'options' button for about 5 seconds before I realized what it said. :P

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#5]
And a third option is added. I'm about done experimenting with different options now. I haven't decided which I'll use though. I might offer a couple of different ones and an option to choose, but that increases the download size, so I might not.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
The original one looks best to me!

sswift(Posted 2005) [#7]
I think the third one is easiest on the eyes.

But the colors in the first go best with the plasticy look to the interface.

I would change the yellow dots on the first one to a dark shade of purple perhaps. They draw your eyes away from the questions.

In all the deisgns, the horizontal lines across the middle created by the sharp transition from black mess with your eyes. I would try to fix that by adding a darker indentation around the black area to reduce the contrast, or making the black area have a color instead.

I would consider making the yellow buttons int he first image the same green as the lower bar. I might try making them a slighly darker shade though to indicate they are a seperate part opf the interface and to make them appear to be in the background more as if they are less important than the other interface elements, which they are if you are in the middle of playing a game.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#8]
To be honest I don't like either. The layout doesn't present the question and answers in a clear way.

The button shapes are inconsistent, making it look more accidental than intentional. They are also placed at weird locations, both on screen (not centered) and relative to each other. Try to keep straight lines, and avoid having uneven edges. Additionally it is not a good idea to place unrelated buttons side by side (ie. answer buttons and option buttons).

The primary purpose of the interface should be to present the question and answers, in as clear a way as possible. Whether it should be metal or plastic is irrelevant, and purely a question of taste.

While you are probably reluctant, my advice is start over, with the clear goal in mind that it should present the question and answers as clearly as possible. Do not get distracted with bevel/emboss and drop shadows, but simply make the important parts stand out.

For an example of a Q&A game that works, have a look at You Don't Know Jack. Demo here: http://www.jellyvision.com/stuff/gamez/ydkj/YDKJ6Demo.zip Website here: http://www.ydkj.com

It's dynamic, invigorating and easy to digest. Try it out, and ask yourself which one you would rather buy (assuming yours will be comercial).

I have more comments, but don't want to sound like a sour grape, so I'll stop here... Hope you take it in the right spirit!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#9]
Combine the colours of the first one as a tint on the metallic theme but make the colours a bit less saturated. The chess piece looks good - use it. I think the whole thing looks decent and is a clear layout to me. Make sure the numbers are vertically centered in those boxes at the bottom and stick with the clearer text for the options.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#10]
The chess peice is silly. It has nothing to do with a trvia game.

"Whether it should be metal or plastic is irrelevant, and purely a question of taste."

I don't think it depends entirely on taste. I think it ought to fit the theme. The questions here don't seem to be aimed at kids, but the plasticy interface looks more like it is geared towards kids.

The first interface would be salvageable for an adult game if you used fewer colors.

I like the red background and the purple. The red window too. The green lower interface maybe could stay, but the yellow buttons and stuff needs to be a different color. The yellow circles should be the same color as those at the top. The buttons... the same color as the bottom. The bottom maybe a darker purple.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#11]
The metallic skin looks more like it's made of stone to me.

It seems like most of your interface is based around putting loose shapes around words.

How about turning some parts of the interface into something more visual. The turns, level and target could be little `wheels` with the numbers on them that rotate.

I think you need to change the font too, it's too small and dull.

I say make the power-meter on the left much more interesting, have it be animated, maybe piling several things on top of each other to represent the level.

The title/subject should also be different, maybe bigger font or just a whole different design to distinguish it from the rest. There's too much of the same.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to make use both. I coded up a quick theme system which lets you pick whichever you prefer. Thankfully BMax has pointers, so it wasn't too hard or time consuming to do. Seems to work nicely.