realistic old man, WIP

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/realistic old man, WIP

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#1]
I recently made thi model uing Zbruh and Max, its still WIP so critiques are welcomed!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
nice artisitic styling... different...

very good technically, from what i can see...

--Mike

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#3]
The eyes are too small, and he doesn't really look old, more like he's just come home from a monster party. But well made none the less.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#4]
More wrinkles!!^^

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you would like a valid criticism, you need to add more light. Although the image is nice as is from a finished piece perspective, your hard shadows seem like they are hiding something. Light the model with traditional key, fill, rim lights and then it will be easier to see what needs improvement.

Also, the blue background makes it very clear this is a 3d model. Place some type of background that is realistic in your renderings to give the illusion that this is actually real.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
I like it a lot. He's got a real brooding/menacing look to him. He also looks like he's actually alive - many models I've seen just have a vacant look on their faces, like a shop dummy with dead eyes.

As fredborg says, he doesn't really look that old - about mid 40's. If that's old to you, then fine. :)

Well done!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
Good so far dude!

I think he needs more work on the forehead texture and the eyes - the bottom half of his face seems older and the top part younger. Adding lines will help this, plus hair colour needs to have some lighter grey in it.

Great wip though!

IPete2.

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#8]
thanks for the critiques guys many of the stuff I didnt even consider until now, i'll get right into the modifications :-D

and I'll make him in his 60's ... fear of having some people at their 40's on this forum knock on my door with a bat ...

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#9]
good as allways :)

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hey, if you want to use my likeness like that, you gotta pay the licensing fee, lol. Very good, almost like looking in the mirror :cp

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#11]
I could do better with my eyes closed!
I'm also the emperor of China, and I have super powers.
Don't test me...! >:)

Seriously, though looks awesome.

nadia(Posted 2005) [#12]
Fantastic model, very realistic skin and a lot of character in the expression.
But as mentioned above, he doesn’t look very old, if that is a part of the specs (which the title of this thread suggests).

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#13]
I just updated it, not quite finihed as I havent finished the eyes yet, but it will be in a week with a nice background hopefully :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#14]
that's verrrrrrrrrry good...

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#15]
very nice, foreheads skin is too smooth, doesn't look real old. Add some spots, wrinkles to the texture.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#16]
gettig there, but the ligting needs to be a bit brighter to show off the detail.
The ear looks slightly odd also,but again that could be the lighting

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#17]
try a couple of SSS renders if you can through mental ray or similar renderer. Would like to see light pass through the skin and bring him to life.

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#18]
Ive just made the final adjustements to the skin shader, more bumps and wont be touching it anymore except putting it into a scene.

and lets just say that he's in his 40s just so I dont have to change the shader again ;)

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#19]
It's perfect. You are a Master.

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#20]
more red under the eyes maybe?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#21]
he he looks like Patrick Stewart - playing Prince John - minus the beard.

Fab looking model btw! I wish I could achieve something half as good.

IPete2.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#22]
That's amazing.

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#23]
Wow. Simply incredible.

puki(Posted 2005) [#24]
I think it looks like "Captain Picard" - Star Trek blokie.

The modelling and texturing is excellent. Age-wise, he looks like he is in his forties.

TroM(Posted 2005) [#25]
TigerZ, c'est toi l'meilleur! :)

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#26]
i thought of jean-luc, too ^^

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#27]
looking very realistic now. good stuff

Xip(Posted 2005) [#28]
Wooooow! very realistic and close to perfect!

one thing i dont like is the eys, ther is somthing wrong with them... to flat? and the color looks strange to... but other than that, this is 100% top stuff!:)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#29]
Stunning.

Will(Posted 2005) [#30]
yeah, eyes I imagine will look brighter in a scene when they have nice bright stuff to reflect - it looks absolutely fantastic! It's an inspiration for me.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#31]
the ears neeed a bit of work though i feel. the top bit seems to go from being very thin to very fat all of a sudden

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#32]
Can I see the pre z mesh?

N(Posted 2005) [#33]
Can I dig up another month old thread?

puki(Posted 2005) [#34]
I'm wondering if "Beaker" was the influence for this thing.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#35]
Nice to see some realistic human modeling, as opposed to all the stylized crap out there.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#36]
Ruz; could you imagine that maybe not everyone is perfect?!
I would guess that the ears are deliberate, to give the old man some unique personality...

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#37]
LarsG, there is an argument to say that if you are going to post realistic stuff, then expect critiques on the realistic nature of the work. its purely a technical/aesthetic thing.
I am sure TigerZ doesnlt mind me pointing out stuff like this, so please don't be so defensive on his behalf.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#38]
extremely good, as I said already, tigerz :)

is much more realistic that last time :)

-edit- ouch. someone's been playing with ye olde threads...

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#39]
the ears? well, maybe in the upper inside part...not really noticeable untill some one points out...

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#40]
This thread really is old Lol

As Ruz mentioned I dont mind critiques, actually I LOVE them, its the only way to get better at what you do ;)
so dont worry about my 'feelings' rip me a new hole if you want to.

and as for this image, I wont be iterating on it anymore, I got other works to start/finish

big10p(Posted 2005) [#41]
C'mon TigerZ, confess, it's photo, isn't it. :P

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#42]
still nice though tiger z. great skin shader

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#43]
IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE PATRICK STUART! (jean luc picard)

Hmprf.. every trekky out there would die if they read your posts :p

Leon Brown(Posted 2005) [#44]
Wow, that's ace! I disagree that it looks like an old man. He looks like my sensei - who isn't old, just middle aged :).

drnmr(Posted 2005) [#45]
can you animate him?

drnmr(Posted 2005) [#46]
can you animate him?